Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Sniper . . .

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by RicInOR, Jul 8, 2016.

1. RicInOR

RicInOR Washington County Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

What is a "sniper"
    Therefore a "sniper rifle"
    What is a "sniper shot"?

"Only shots that were the result of “a deliberate long rifle shot, by a person assigned to the sniper position, against a designated human target,” are recorded as a sniper shot. "

I saw that like 90% of all police sniper shots are taken at 50m or less and about 99% are 250m or less.

Average Police Sniper Distances | Hendon Publishing (http://www.hendonpub.com/resources/article_archive/results/details?id=3879)

You have to read down a fair number of paragraphs to get to the facts"
    "The average police sniper distance was 51 yards. Of all the sniper shots, 95% took place between zero and 100 yards. The rest were equally divided between the 100 to 150 yard bracket and the 150 to 250 yard bracket. This has profound training implications."

2. easy-e

easy-e Burien, WA Member

Sounds like the difference between an assaulter, designated marksman, and a sniper.

In my opinion using the term "sniper" for any shot with a rifle from a concealed and/or elevated position seems acceptable.

Sgt Nambu, x2ndxall, edslhead and 3 others like this.
  3. PaulB47

PaulB47 Hillsboro Well-Known Member

I think the average distance for military snipers is also lower than we'd expect, right?

Isn't a sniper someone who shoots snipes? :)

4. billstaf

billstaf Portland, Oregon Active Member

Just another example of the various media trying to sound like they actually know something about firearms and shootings. Some nitwit probably thinks saying "sniper" every five minutes will boost their ratings.

5. Dyjital

Dyjital Albany, Ore Flavorite Member Bronze Supporter

My LEO friend refers to his new .308 setup as a sniper rifle.

I laugh especially when he would call my near identical rifle a sniper rifle before he got his.

Maybe in his world it's a sniper rifle, in mine it's a precision rifle.

6. No_Regerts

No_Regerts United States Well-Known Member

Terms can be obsurd. Take two of the same Remington 700s with heavy barrels and the 308 is a sniper rifle while the 22-250 is a varmint rifle.

Sgt Nambu, Slobray and Dyjital like this.
  7. bbbass

bbbass La Grande Well-Known Member

Labels can be wrong, but they can also be useful. IMO a "sniper" rifle is any rifle that a person intends to use to snipe. Therefore, my .308 hunting rifle can become a sniper rifle in SHTF or many other scenarios. My .22lr rifle can also. Military or SWAT rifles aren't the only sniper rifles. A 22-250 would normally be a varmint rifle, but if one had the right bullets it could be a sniper rifle.

8. x2ndxall

x2ndxall WA Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter 2016 Volunteer

Sniping can be done with any weapon.
    Sniping is basically just a shot from concealment, doesn't matter the range or vehicle.

9. No_Regerts

Judging by what it does to deer heads, a 22-250 would make a messy sniper rifle! 50gr and 3800 fps....

Sgt Nambu and x2ndxall like this.
  10. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Sub Light Speed Well-Known Member

Remember, before the mid 80's, A "sniper rifle" was a tuned hunting rifle that looked just like the rifles on the local gun shops racks! Some of the best snipers in history used Hunting rifles to ply there craft! Gunny Carlos Hathcock used a Winchester M70 ( Mod 70 to you and I) to score most of his kills! Others before him used the mighty 03 Springfield rifle! A "sniper" is a person not a tool, its what one does with that tool that determines an outcome!

bbbass, Sgt Nambu, notazombie and 3 others like this.
  11. LaserMan

LaserMan Eugene, OR Active Member

But the real question is how many clips does it take to become a sniper?

Brutus57, Slobray and Sgt Nambu like this.
  12. Doc In UPlace

Doc In UPlace Tacoma-ish Well-Known Member

High velocity-magazine clips with the shoulder thing that goes up! Now yer talkin'!! And a bayonet shroud bullet button hose.

13. No_Regerts

Cup holders. Gotta have cup holders.

14. erudne

erudne The Pie Matrix PPL Say Sleeping W/Your Rifle Is A bad Thing? Bronze Supporter

A Sniper is a person that snipes so the correct term would be Sniper's Rifle
    Don't be led down the path of confusing an artifact with an activity

15. Brutus57

Brutus57 Skagit County Well-Known Member

Shhhhhhhhhhh.

Brutus out

nwwoodsman, bbbass and Ura-Ki like this.
  16. LaserMan

LaserMan Eugene, OR Active Member

By the same logic, an "assault rifle" should be an "assaulter's rifle", correct? It's not the rifle that does the assaulting...

bbbass, Slobray, erudne and 3 others like this.
  17. Certaindeaf

Certaindeaf SE Portland Well-Known Member

What's more bothersome is how "Decorated Veteran" is touted without qualification.
    Our "sniper" was one and all he did was lay bricks and pound nails in the service.
    I think these days, everyone is a "Decorated" unless they are dishonorably discharged.

Brutus57, Sgt Nambu and Ura-Ki like this.
  18. erudne

erudne The Pie Matrix PPL Say Sleeping W/Your Rifle Is A bad Thing? Bronze Supporter

Well he got a Ribbon for passing boot camp and several more 'awards' for standing in one spot, even got an award for non-voluntary service in A-stan:confused: and promoted to PFC...not a stellar soldier

Slobray likes this.
  19. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Sub Light Speed Well-Known Member

Outstanding Mediocre performance! Keeping mediocrity alive in the ranks! No wonder he went off the res, too much self loathing!:rolleyes:

bbbass likes this.
  20. Diamondback

Diamondback A cold, wet green Hell Well-Known Member

In the Behavioral Analysis community, we prefer to use the term "LDSK," or "Long Distance Serial Killer," instead.

MikeE, bbbass and Ura-Ki like this.