JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Can we stop just throwing around the term "sniper?" Sniper is just another fear-term like "assault weapon" and "high-powered."
%< cut the rest

What is a "sniper"
Therefore a "sniper rifle"
What is a "sniper shot"?

"Only shots that were the result of "a deliberate long rifle shot, by a person assigned to the sniper position, against a designated human target," are recorded as a sniper shot. "

I saw that like 90% of all police sniper shots are taken at 50m or less and about 99% are 250m or less.

Average Police Sniper Distances | Hendon Publishing (http://www.hendonpub.com/resources/article_archive/results/details?id=3879)

You have to read down a fair number of paragraphs to get to the facts"
"The average police sniper distance was 51 yards. Of all the sniper shots, 95% took place between zero and 100 yards. The rest were equally divided between the 100 to 150 yard bracket and the 150 to 250 yard bracket. This has profound training implications."

Sounds like the difference between an assaulter, designated marksman, and a sniper.

In my opinion using the term "sniper" for any shot with a rifle from a concealed and/or elevated position seems acceptable.

Just another example of the various media trying to sound like they actually know something about firearms and shootings. Some nitwit probably thinks saying "sniper" every five minutes will boost their ratings.

My LEO friend refers to his new .308 setup as a sniper rifle.

I laugh especially when he would call my near identical rifle a sniper rifle before he got his.

Maybe in his world it's a sniper rifle, in mine it's a precision rifle.

My LEO friend refers to his new .308 setup as a sniper rifle.

I laugh especially when he would call my near identical rifle a sniper rifle before he got his.

Maybe in his world it's a sniper rifle, in mine it's a precision rifle.

Terms can be obsurd. Take two of the same Remington 700s with heavy barrels and the 308 is a sniper rifle while the 22-250 is a varmint rifle.

Labels can be wrong, but they can also be useful. IMO a "sniper" rifle is any rifle that a person intends to use to snipe. Therefore, my .308 hunting rifle can become a sniper rifle in SHTF or many other scenarios. My .22lr rifle can also. Military or SWAT rifles aren't the only sniper rifles. A 22-250 would normally be a varmint rifle, but if one had the right bullets it could be a sniper rifle.

Labels can be wrong, but they can also be useful. IMO a "sniper" rifle is any rifle that a person intends to use to snipe. Therefore, my .308 hunting rifle can become a sniper rifle in SHTF or many other scenarios. My .22lr rifle can also. Military or SWAT rifles aren't the only sniper rifles. A 22-250 would normally be a varmint rifle, but if one had the right bullets it could be a sniper rifle.

Judging by what it does to deer heads, a 22-250 would make a messy sniper rifle! 50gr and 3800 fps....

Remember, before the mid 80's, A "sniper rifle" was a tuned hunting rifle that looked just like the rifles on the local gun shops racks! Some of the best snipers in history used Hunting rifles to ply there craft! Gunny Carlos Hathcock used a Winchester M70 ( Mod 70 to you and I) to score most of his kills! Others before him used the mighty 03 Springfield rifle! A "sniper" is a person not a tool, its what one does with that tool that determines an outcome!

Shhhhhhhhhhh.

Brutus out

What's more bothersome is how "Decorated Veteran" is touted without qualification.
Our "sniper" was one and all he did was lay bricks and pound nails in the service.
I think these days, everyone is a "Decorated" unless they are dishonorably discharged.

What's more bothersome is how "Decorated Veteran" is touted without qualification.
Our "sniper" was one and all he did was lay bricks and pound nails in the service.
I think these days, everyone is a "Decorated" unless they are dishonorably discharged.
Well he got a Ribbon for passing boot camp and several more 'awards' for standing in one spot, even got an award for non-voluntary service in A-stan:confused: and promoted to PFC...not a stellar soldier

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top