JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Sniping , is more than a tactic and a tool , nor is it "just semantics".
I say the above as someone who has passed the Army course and used what I learned there while on combat deployments.
So I respectfully disagree.
Andy
With all due respect, there is the Army definition, and there is the civilian definition. I wouldn't presume to tell you what constitutes a genuine Army Sniper. Websters, however, is happy to tell us what sniping is:

1: to shoot at exposed individuals (as of an enemy's forces) from a usually concealed point of vantage
2: to aim a carping or snide attack

I make no personal claim to the title despite the fact that you have witnessed me engage in the second definition on multiple occasions. :D Also thanks for serving, seriously.

With all due respect, there is the Army definition, and there is the civilian definition. I wouldn't presume to tell you what constitutes a genuine Army Sniper. Websters, however, is happy to tell us what sniping is:

1: to shoot at exposed individuals (as of an enemy's forces) from a usually concealed point of vantage
2: to aim a carping or snide attack

I make no personal claim to the title despite the fact that you have witnessed me engage in the second definition on multiple occasions. :D Also thanks for serving, seriously.
I see your point and agree that Mr. Webster does indeed say what a sniper is and does.
However....
I never saw him in my course class or while on deployments....:D

Joking aside....
You are right in the difference of military and civilian definition of the term.
Not to forget to mention when the news media uses the term sniper , to describe someone who murders others , when shooting at them , from hidden / concealed area.
All of which can make for a different definition of the term .
Andy

Edit to add :
My disagreement was mostly for the equating of a highly trained military member to the term "tactic".
Doing so takes away the human element as well as not considering the mindset behind the person.
I was not a 'tactic"...I could be used tactically.....but is a different subject.

And again the above comes from my experiences...so yeah there is a a bias...
However I think that it is a well founded and well merited one.

Last Edited:
I'm more worried about the political definition of a "sniper rifle" or a sniper than the military or civilian definition. Look at what politicians did to "assault rifle/weapon" and how they have been using that term to undermine your rights.

I'm more worried about the political definition of a "sniper rifle" or a sniper than the military or civilian definition. Look at what politicians did to "assault rifle/weapon" and how they have been using that term to undermine your rights.
Political definitions, by "definition", are whatever a politician needs them to be. This is why they should be called out every time they are used.

I had a one-day lecture that I used to present to candidates on the sniper course down at the School of Infantry, Warminster in South West England. There was usually a US Army Ranger there, or a USMC Scout-Sniper, too, either on the staff, or attending as a 'guest student'.

I recall that the course averaged around twenty-two candidates, and that maybe five would make it. More often less. Please remember that these are not boys just off the street - they were all, already, experienced infantry soldiers of junior rank, all with experience of some kind in war or war-like situations.

Candidates could not fail ANY part of the course - in written assessments the pass-mark was anything over 96%. The compulsory re-sit required 100%. In practical tests, 100% first time or nothing.

In the opening address, the DS would point out that the course would likely end with sufficient trained snipers to fit comfortably into a supermarket photo-booth.

I saw this today and it reminded me of this thread. I suppose words like sniper and tactical sell, otherwise they wouldn't use it for marketing. In this case there is a pic of a guy holding what appears to be an AR on a box of shotgun shells.
3B4E84CF-CF68-4EDB-AD18-19DD2E83D15C.jpeg

1. It's the only place like it in the entire UK. The only other cowboy outfit is the bunch of clowns in the Houses of Parliament.

2. It is intended to amuse the paying public, and, as far as I know, does it very well, all things considered.

3. We DO enjoy CAS here, that's true, but EVERBODY dresses up for that, and everybody there is a shooter, more to the point, it is not a public thing, as it can often be in the USA.

What I am talking about is a shooter appearing on a live-fire range wearing duds appropriate to the firearm that he or she is shooting. Fer'instance, me dressing up like a Confederate scout/sharpshooter to shoot my Whitworth rifle or like an artilleryman to shoot my musketoon. I might just wear my kepi, but that's about the sum of it.

Last Edited:
AAMOI - here is the British Army's sniping course in detail. Unlike some armies, the British Army does NOT take people right off the streets and make them into snipers. That does NOT happen, and never did.

https://bootcampmilitaryfitnessinst...gdom/british-army-sniper-operators-course-soc

Also, take a look at an interview with former CoH Craig Harrison, who back in 2009 achieved the world's longest shots at that time, and stopped a taliban mg team dead right there.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top