JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
if it had the side pins on both sides, it was a PEM sniper, probably from late '30s, the same as my ex sniper
I built my reproduction with a PEM scope and PE quick detach side mount

was yours from the Tula armory or Izhevsk?
Sorry for the slow reply; I had to dig it out. It's a 1944 Izhevsk. Here's a photo of the inside of the receiver.

IMG_2182[1].jpg

A late friend of mine used to wear a kilt like that. It was called a Utili-kilt.
I just googled some images of the so-called utili-kilt, and have to say, as a somewhat biased one-time wearer of a saffron kilt, that I have rarely seen anything so utterly ridiculous in all my life - so far, that is. 'Village People' - 'Highland style. Hereabouts we'd call them a bunch of Jessies.

utilikilt.jpg

Scots and Irish can wear the kilt - correctly - with the lower hem touching the ground when the wearer kneels [the correct way of adjusting the height], and many ladies too, of course.

Last Edited:
@tac , Johnny was a bit unique and was associated with the Oregon Country Fair, if that tells ya anything.
Village People Highland style? That's funny stuff!

@tac , Johnny was a bit unique and was associated with the Oregon Country Fair, if that tells ya anything.
Village People Highland style? That's funny stuff!
The problem when you 'adopt' a style of dress from another people and their culture is that is rarely, if ever, meets the expectations of the wearer. It's true than there are many, many pipe bands of one kind or another in the USA, mostly police, firefighters and the like, who are, because they are used to wearing a uniform, can really do justice to the wearing of a kilt. I have no beef with them - for the most part they look great, as the appearance of many such pipe bands and even individual pipers over in Scotland would readily testify. Indeed, I'm all for them, and more power to their collective elbows - they win medals for their skills, and rightly so.

On the other hand, there are people who just want to look like 'Braveheart', but end up looking more like Gollum in a skirt.

On the other hand, there are people who just want to look like 'Braveheart', but end up looking more like Gollum in a skirt.
We use the term larp (live action role playing) here to describe such. They ones you think it's for real (as opposed to a fun saturday at a Comicon) are generally harmless and live in their own worlds. Not sure if larp is a thing outside the US.

We use the term larp (live action role playing) here to describe such. They ones you think it's for real (as opposed to a fun saturday at a Comicon) are generally harmless and live in their own worlds. Not sure if larp is a thing outside the US.
Try that over here and you'd get laughed all the way to the nearest psychiatric ward. We don't even wear appropriate uniform for shooting our muzzleloaders or older-style guns, unless, en masse, like the Sealed Knot the English Civil War re-enactment group.

Slight dread thrift, for which I may be forgiven - but this will tell you a lot about the Sealed Knot. We live just outside the town of Huntingdon, a place famed in the ECW for being the home of Oliver Cromwell, the so-called 'Lord Protector' of England during the time that England was virtually a republic. Didn't work out well, that. Mrs tac comes from Chester, a city made famous for two things in recent history - it was staunchly Royalist during the ECW, and suffered for it. King Charles the First, not only the first king called Charles, but also the first, and so-far only king to be publicly beheaded, prior to his death [natch] had the great misfortune of actually standing on the walls of Chester, watching his army soundly thrashed at nearby Blacon.

Last Edited:
Slight dread thrift, for which I may be forgiven - but this will tell you a lot about the Sealed Knot. We live just outside the town of Huntingdon, a place famed in the ECW for being the home of Oliver Cromwell, the so-called 'Lord Protector' of England during the time that England was virtually a republic. Didn't work out well, that. Mrs tac come from Chester, a city made famous for two things in recent history - it was staunchly Royalist during the ECW, and suffered for it. King Charles the First, not only the first king called Charles, but also the first, and so-far only king to be publicly beheaded, prior to his death [natch] had the great misfortune of actually standing on the walls of Chester, watching his army soundly thrashed at nearby Blacon.

Couldn't have been just me? Thought that was going to be a Monte Python sketch? :oops:

Using the term "Tactical" to describe something, usually meant it was a specific tool or piece of kit used for a specific purpose!
I'm going to contact Trojan. I got an idea...

Introducing Dancing Banana Tactical Condoms! Available in Camouflage, Hunter Orange, Red Rover and Ron Jeremy 3D Holographic!

:s0023::s0053::s0056:

It's a tactic. plain and simple. And anybody can be put in that role. Even civilians as has happened in many wars this past century.
I didn't say they could perform well, but that doesn't make them not a sniper.
Did Simo Hayha not have a sniper rifle? By the definition of many here, no he didn't. Was Vasilly Zaytsev an actual "trained" sniper? Again nope. They were both just using sub par by most standards rack grade service rifles, no scope most of the time. And were conscripted as normal soldiers. They were put into the role and so were their tools.
how about the viet cong hiding in buildings or in bushes?
like I said. Semantics and a little melodrama.

Achwelly:

Germany more then any other combatant during WW-II actively sought out skilled marksmen who would then be sent to "Sniper School" in Zosyn for formal training, and upon completion, were issued special hand built, fitted, and tuned M-98 Sniper Rifles. Germany also developed and issued special ammunition for these men to use in the field, and they were very good at what they did!

The U.S. Army found it's self very much behind the curve when war became inevitable, with almost no snipers or specialized weapons, but that would change quickly, and by June 6th 1944, the U.S. Army (and to a lessor extent the U.S.M.C) were fielding numbers of trained snipers with hand built and tuned rifles, usually the 1903 Springfield, or the M-1 Garand!

It's a commonly believed untruth that the U.S simply grabbed rack rifles and fitted them with optics, this is false, actual Sniping Rifles were custom built by hand by specially trained armorers, and they then had to be proofed to very high standards before being issued! All of this is well documented for those who wish to dig in a little!

It's a tactic. plain and simple. And anybody can be put in that role. Even civilians as has happened in many wars this past century.
I didn't say they could perform well, but that doesn't make them not a sniper.
Did Simo Hayha not have a sniper rifle? By the definition of many here, no he didn't. Was Vasilly Zaytsev an actual "trained" sniper? Again nope. They were both just using sub par by most standards rack grade service rifles, no scope most of the time. And were conscripted as normal soldiers. They were put into the role and so were their tools.
how about the viet cong hiding in buildings or in bushes?
like I said. Semantics and a little melodrama.
It's simpler than that. Look at some of the people the Army calls Cooks. :D

Anybody can be a sniper and any rifle can be a sniper rifle. It's simply a tactic and the tool used. The rest is just semantics.
Sniping , is more than a tactic and a tool , nor is it "just semantics".
I say the above as someone who has passed the Army course and used what I learned there while on combat deployments.
So I respectfully disagree.
Andy

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews