JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
More information, please!!!!!!!!

Here's MY Unertl-equipped 'not-a-sniper' training rifle.....note that it is a true left-handed action BSA Martini Intl MkII from 1957 - the scope is from 1952 and looks like new.

View attachment 1105200
Mine is a .22LR Winchester Model 52 Pre-A with Speedlock made in 1932. I inherited it from my grandpa.

The scope is a Unertl 1" Target 10X that I bought in Santa Maria, CA, on 19May88. I was thinking I'd paid only $110, but I found the receipt that says I paid $165. I don't know the date of manufacture, though.

Amazing scopes. I wish they were still made.

Mine is a .22LR Winchester Model 52 Pre-A with Speedlock made in 1932. I inherited it from my grandpa.

The scope is a Unertl 1" Target 10X that I bought in Santa Maria, CA, on 19May88. I was thinking I'd paid only $110, but I found the receipt that says I paid $165. I don't know the date of manufacture, though.

Amazing scopes. I wish they were still made.
Another not-a-sniper trainer -

1641924650853.png
and another....
1641924723214.png
...and another... 1641924779777.png

So... I want to know where the counter sniper rifles fit into this discussion.

As far as cartridges go one of the guys I knew in the early '80's spent a lot of time up at Fort Ord. Said the Army provided him with a rifle and all the 300 Win Mag he could shoot. Strange bird, he also spent a lot of time standing around in kilts playing the pipes, god what a noise.
GF had a cat that was a counter sniper. Leave anything edible on a counter, turn your back and bam! Gone.

How do you feel about the word "tactical":p
TACTICAL, in the traditional sense, is a specific action for a specific result, usually for an advantage in the larger "Strategic" battle!
Using the term "Tactical" to describe something, usually meant it was a specific tool or piece of kit used for a specific purpose!

Now days it gets used ( over used) a lot, often describing a whole bunch of things that are not normally Tactical in any way, and the Military is just as bad as the civilian misuse!

TACTICAL, in the traditional sense, is a specific action for a specific result, usually for an advantage in the larger "Strategic" battle!
Using the term "Tactical" to describe something, usually meant it was a specific tool or piece of kit used for a specific purpose!

Now days it gets used ( over used) a lot, often describing a whole bunch of things that are not normally Tactical in any way, and the Military is just as bad as the civilian misuse!
George knows what it means.

Last Edited:
when I purchased my Rem 700 back in the day, I looked at two rifles, the Rem 700 P and the 700 VS

on the advice of a lawyer from my gun club, I went with the VS in .308

the Rem 700 P (Police Sniper) was built as a law enforcement sniper tool, the Portland SERT had them at that time. The VS, identical except for small variation in stock, was built as a varmint rifle

but if you had a self defense shooting situation in you home and the police found you owned a 700 P, an anti gun prosecutor trying to make his bones, would make an issue that you're were a wanabe sniper just looking to kill someone, because why would a peaceful civilian own a purpose built and marked sniper rifle

P1030741.JPG

I have a bolt action .22 with a bipod, a cheek rest and a giant scope on it. It's a nice looking gun and pretty accurate for a .22, but the big scope is just so that I don't have to take a spotting scope too. When I bring it to shooting events for kids, one of them will always ask if they can shoot the sniper rifle. I just tell them sure, have you shot a bolt action before. :)

On another note, I was always surprised to learn just how accurate the various WWII era "sniper" rifles weren't. As I recall, 2 moa was considered plenty good enough for many of them.
the Soviets built a sniper rifle before WW2 on select barrels, hand matched all parts and lapped the bolts to individual barrels
the outside tolerance was 1.5 MOA, with most registering below 1 MOA
when they were shot out and dropped off in accuracy, they were decommissioned to regular service rifles - I have one of those
but I built a period correct 1936 Mosin PEM sniper on the most accurate hex receiver I had
floated and shimmed the barrel, torqued the receiver for the most accuracy and lapped the receiver and cycled the bolt 1000 times with lapping compound to match the bolt to the receiver.
with LVE match ammo, it can shoot sub MOA off sand bags
the Soviets marked their 'sniper select' barrels as such - the C N markings above the star

P1030863.JPG P1030654.JPG

I have a 91/30 Mosin Nagant that I bought 10 or 15 years ago, for $99 at Big 5. When I got home and was cleaning it up, I noticed something very odd inside the receiver rails. I could see were there were some pins, and when I looked closely at the outside in the same spots I could see where something had been welded up and reblued over.

I was irritated that I'd bought Bubba's project gun, but was baffled at how Bubba had got to it, since it came directly from the importer and the bluing was from the Russian arsenal.

A little research online told me that it wasn't Bubba, but actually an ex-sniper. The bore was clean but well-worn, and no longer terribly accurate, but still pretty cool.

I have a 91/30 Mosin Nagant that I bought 10 or 15 years ago, for $99 at Big 5. When I got home and was cleaning it up, I noticed something very odd inside the receiver rails. I could see were there were some pins, and when I looked closely at the outside in the same spots I could see where something had been welded up and reblued over.

I was irritated that I'd bought Bubba's project gun, but was baffled at how Bubba had got to it, since it came directly from the importer and the bluing was from the Russian arsenal.

A little research online told me that it wasn't Bubba, but actually an ex-sniper. The bore was clean but well-worn, and no longer terribly accurate, but still pretty cool.
if it had the side pins on both sides, it was a PEM sniper, probably from late '30s, the same as my ex sniper
I built my reproduction with a PEM scope and PE quick detach side mount

was yours from the Tula armory or Izhevsk?

if it had the side pins on both sides, it was a PEM sniper, probably from late '30s, the same as my ex sniper
I built my reproduction with a PEM scope and PE quick detach side mount

was yours from the Tula armory or Izhevsk?
before I get jumped on by the Mosin crowd, it's a PEM scope mount
you can get period correct reproduction's from Accumounts

You, sir, have some very beautiful rifles. I am seriously jealous :)
I'm amazed - to have impressed an american with some of my pathetic little 'collection' of old guns! :eek:

Please note that that is all I have - old/er guns. Over here we CAN have guns that look like your ARs and so on, but you have to 'drive' them yourself. Everything bolt-y that you have, so can we. Any semi-auto .22 rifle or carbine, too, and any black powder handgun so long as it's a front-loader, and any BP rifle of any kind.

Over in Northern Ireland they can have any and all handguns, just like you can.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top