JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

That was very good. I have practiced some form of this as long as I have carried. I have seen the "idea" really crapped on by many "experts". I have long taken the notion of I don't care, it works for me. I practice doing it regularly. Often when I take my carry gun off I make a point of practicing getting the gun in hand in such a way as to not attract attention if others were there. Several times in life I ended up in a "situation" where I was on full alert for some reason and ended up with a gun in my hand, unseen and or unknown to those around me. One time was with Wife when we were still new. At a nice place to eat, several wanna be gangsters walk up to our table to start asking stupid questions. I told them to get away from me. Some manager ran over and hustled them away, then comped our desert. None of them, not even Wife, knew I had already drawn a gun and was holding it in my hand under the table. On the drive home my Wife brought it up and how it scared her. When I told her I had a gun in hand her jaw about hit the seat. She acted like she could not believe it. I showed her how I had done it when we got home. At first I think she was worried about me a little. Like maybe I had tinfoil hats. Later as she gave it more thought she started asking me to show her how to do this.
When I bring this up OFTEN someone will start to go on about brandishing and how a poor idea this is. I "try" to explain I am NOT advocating brandishing. I am saying to practice getting your carry gun out and or in your hand in such a way that no one ever see's it. That way if you have to actually show it, or god forbid use it, you may well survive the fight because the dobad never saw the gun until it was too late.

Have you seen the barber shop shooting video? Guy, maybe two with shotguns come in and start demanding stuff. Good guy waits til dudes aren't looking slips his gun out and goes to work? Sneaky!
Often this can save your bacon. 40 some odd years back I met a guy, friend of friend who had killed an armed robber. Guy took a part time job at some stop'N'rob. Late one night dobad sticks gun in his face for cash. He gave him the cash but the dobad did not run. Took to looking around. Guy said he felt the dude was contemplating not leaving a witness. Second time he took his eyes off the clerk he had already drawn, one more time dobad looked away he shot him in the head. Store fired him. Local news interviewed him. He said it was a minimum wage job, I have a full time job and Wife. I can find another min wage job. Not sure if the news ever bothered to air the clip. He at the time felt fine about what he had done. He said it was not his cash, he was glad to let the dobad take it. If the dobad had taken the money and left he would have lived to rob again. His hesitation made the guy decide not to take a chance.

Sneaky = slow to those over 60....:p
When I go to the range (by my self mostly since I have the time) I practice drawing from different positions, such as kneeling and prone.
Quick draw and slow but deliberate drawing is what will be needed when, not if, the bubblegum happens.
I have a full size target to see where my shots land and then adjust my grip.
If your going to carry, train like you are going to survive to live another day.

It what is taught in most martial arts, the movement should be action to disable the opponent nothing more
nothing less in a dire situation. I also love being underestmated, that alone has always given me an edge :rolleyes:

Trainers are saying "wait for your moment"... I think that is a pretty smart concept and I've seen a number of real vids that bear that out.

Overtraining on fast draw and shoot can get you killed. Many years ago there was a USPSA shooter that went at it with three guys openly. Just like an El Presidente scenario... he lost. Cover is your friend, even if it is only your leg hiding the pistola you've drawn unseen.

YMMV

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads