JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
hey. At a party last night, my buddy smoked some ribs on a traeger. I'm interested. I've been told the newer traegers aren't as good, and there spendy. I'd like to hear what others have that are like them.

I know a couple guys that smoke meat. One does catering and tows his smoker behind his truck. It's badarse

But a lot of people make their own. Getting a traeger or similiar is a good start though.

What are you looking for? Do you want a "set and forget" setup, i.e. Trager or something you have to watch, maintain and pine over, i.e. offset smoker. I bought a New Braunfels Black Diamond from a member here and love it. I have to watch over it and maintain the fire, but I don't mind. My uncle has a Trager and I have to admit I am a bit jealous of him pretty much setting it and walking away. Smoked turkey is a staple for holidays, Christmas and Thanksgiving and I can't tell the difference between a bird cooked on mine, or my uncles. It comes down to the brine or rub you use.

A friend made one out of an old small apartment fridge and used an electric hot plate for the chip pan.
The nice thing is that it was well insulated, had the racks already set up inside and cost him next to nothing to put together.
He also had a large hook hanging from the middle of the roof so he could hang large cuts.
Best smoked salmon I've ever tasted came out of that smoker.

A friend made one out of an old small apartment fridge and used an electric hot plate for the chip pan.
The nice thing is that it was well insulated, had the racks already set up inside and cost him next to nothing to put together.
He also had a large hook hanging from the middle of the roof so he could hang large cuts.
Best smoked salmon I've ever tasted came out of that smoker.

If the OP is wanting to make his own, this is definitely an option. Also, look up the "Ugly Drum Smoker" on Google, plenty of builds.

Head over to your local candy store and pick up an inexpensive charcoal smoker. I use it with hickory kingsford and some alder or maple for fish. Cash and Carry has 80 lb sacks of Mesquite for 20 bucks, and I just adjust the where the pan and grill sit and on with the steaks.

Good to go!

Last Edited:
It's not that hard to mess up a bunch of expensive meat. I've done pretty good at it! Something you may want to try first is a simple Brinkman kettle. That way if you suck at it you don't have hundreds of dollars into it. I'm no pro but I've come up with some pretty tasty chicken and ribs with it. It's too small to feed a bunch of people but is alright for a family of four.

Well I depends on what you consider spendy ? I have owned gas grills and it seems the burners always rust out along with other internal parts making the grill usless or in need of repair or some sort of replacment parts .
That being said I have owned Traegers for over 13 years still have my very first one I ever bought, and it still works as it did the day I bought it have yet to replace anything. But I know that day is comming as nothing lasts forever. A good gas grill can cost 150.00 to skys the limit beautiful stainless polished up and anyone who knows me knows I like shinney stuff more Bling the better I say guns included .
Now if you grill alot you have likely bought your share of grills so did I till I bought my first traeger 13 years ago
and I grill year round Winter , Spring, Fall, Summer .
My recommendation would be buy one with a digital thermostat and from what I understand they have come down to around $300.00 which is not bad considering It comes with a 3 year warrenty try getting a warrenty with a gas grill I can here the guy laughing from here . all so with a Treager you will never have a greese fire ever it won't ruin your beautiful wood deck you spent all last summer redoing and staining it is fully self contained NO UNBURNT COALS DROPPING ON YOUR DECK oh and no more burnt food, you can over cook it but you can't burn it + you don't have to worry about lighting it and having it blow up in your face or worse .
Now your Wife or Girlfriend can use it trouble free just plug it in (uses the same electricity as a 60 watt light bulb) set the temp and ba da bing ba da boom we be cookin good luck and then tell us what you end up getting PS If you live here in Vancouver or portland area drop me a note and I'll hook you up with the Traeger guy you won't get a better deal anywhere but you will have to put it togeather , I will do it for you but I charge and ARM & a LEG :s0094::s0169::s0067:

Yeh it's a BBQ!!! not just a smoker

why don't you google traeger and do some reading all your questions are there for the reading

you might be better off with a gas grill

How serious are you? Don't like a smoke taste? What!!!!?

Trager is no longer made in the USA and some people are not as
happy with the newer ones. But I can't say they are not good.
There are USA manufacturers of pellet stoves, other than Trager.

What I don't like about pellet is that you are then limited to what you use for fuel, It is not just one choice, but still limited. The plus side, hook it up to your smarty-pants phone and monitor from any where, they are pretty automatic. Except for when they are not, like when the fuel bridges.

The smoker at my house looks like a barrel cut in half. ( looks like this but not the same brand http://www.onepot.org/wp-content/up...iver-Outdoors-67-Jumbo-Smoker-Grill-Combo.jpg) It was just about as cheap as it could be from the store, and bought on sale. It has been modified. Steel, adjustable plates - used to even out temperature across the cooking surface. A removable box from expanding steel plate, has been added to the fire box -
(http://www.slipnot.com/images/products/expanded-metal/stainless/2.jpg)
to first protect the fire box, and then to make adjustment to fuel easier. A better baffle for the exhaust side - keep the rain out and control heat to have less variation. A multi-probe thermometer system - have custom holders for the probes. Added ceramic tiles - which is mass - which helps even temperature across the cooking surface. One of those chimney starters for the wood and charcoal with concrete blocks for chimney starter to run and cool down on. Several scrap pieces of board to change the level - do not always want it flat, and I move it around the yard. I also have a spot for the fire extinguisher and another spot for the hose.

If you like the "Egg" which has a great reputation, do not, not even one time, use lighter fluid or self lighting brickettes. The ceramic surface will pick up those hydrocarbons and never will you not have that "flavor" added to everything you cook.

As for smoke flavor - you control that by what wood you choose. And this is a lifetime of trial - personal preferences.

If you want to cook faster, get a separate Grill. I know you can often use a smoker for your grill - but honestly ... This is the only way not to cook with smoke.
I use propane for my grill. The burgers don't care - the high temp is what is most important.

I recommend checking out a BBQ competition in your area. Ask the cooks why they chose the smoker they have.

YouTube is full of helpful (and crap) videos - almost as many internet BBQ experts as there are internet gun experts.

I have a Weber Smokey Mountain and love it. I can load it up with charcoal and do a Pork Butt overnight with no issues. I have smoked a 20lb bird on it for Thanksgiving a few times. Not a bad smoker for my first one.

I would like to build a offset stick burner someday if time allows.

As far as the pellet smokers I have looked at them but am still on the fence about them.

Not sure on that one.

I do know of one local to OR but they are expensive. I saw one at a local feed store and it was right around 2500.00:eek:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top