JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Finally got my smoker. A local company over here called Sawtooth Pellet Grills. It's nice. Question. Why does it seem like it uses more pellets than I'd think it should? At this rate it cost way more than propane.
I'm not to upset, just curious if I'm missing something here. I got some good pellets. I hear traegar pellets are not very good.
Any info out there?

Yeah I dunno about that. My Traeger uses a bag about once every 2 weeks and I cook with it at least a few times a week.
Are you starting it on low to heat it up a bit prior to going hot? I know when I run mine on high at all times it goes through them like candy. Not necessary for most meat to have it cranked.

How's your temp? Are you running it too warm?

I feel bad for those with pellet smokers. Lump charcoal all the way. :)

Gotta pay to play buddy.

I'm just wondering if I should keep type weber still, and have both. I have a expensive weber, but could get 200-300 for it used.
I WAS running it at 450 for chicken yesterday, and it rocked through the pellets.
Question. Anyone do cheese? At what temp, before it melts?

I'm just wondering if I should keep type weber still, and have both. I have a expensive weber, but could get 200-300 for it used.
I WAS running it at 450 for chicken yesterday, and it rocked through the pellets.
Question. Anyone do cheese? At what temp, before it melts?

Hard call on the other grill. I kept mine as I do like charcoal for some things. Just so much easier to turn on the Traeger so I have rarely used the other grill the last couple years. Maybe twice.

In a household oven you would not cook chicken at much above 350 degrees. And steak is done when it hits just 140-150 degrees I think you might be running a wee bit on the hot side.

Slow and low; 225-250 max indirect heat unless I'm grilling burgers, hotdogs or kabobs then it's direct heat closer to 350-375.

I hate you pellet owners; cuz I don't have one, yet...:p:D

You want the fat to break down and infuse into the meat.

You want no lower than 225* and well, no higher than that as well.

I wish I could find the article but it explains the actual chemical process that happens with meat (albeit chicken, beef, pork) and why the lower temp is beneficial to flavorful meat.

I'll look for it.
but yeah man if you are GRILLING at 350*+ there is no point in using a pellet smoker.

Edit:
I've used propane at home for years, pellets on the church's large Traegers-Think trailer (even these don't use very many over a 6 hour smoke), and now I use lump charcoal. For a long 4-5 hour smoke I use about 1.5lbs of lump charcoal. The $12 bag will allow me to run about 12 different sessions, each costing well about $1 each.

This ISN'T the article but has some good info:
http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/meat_science.html
and
http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/cooking_temperatures_and_reverse_sear.html

Last Edited:
Dunno about fuel, but cooking at lower temps gives the fat veins time to liquify and infuse the meat.

Cooking at higher temps is only good for very lean cuts imo, but My roots are in texas so your tastes may very.

For sure. 450 sounds crazy to me. Low and slow is the way to use that smoker. To answer the pellet usage I find they last a lot longer on slow. Does not need near as much to get to a low temp and keep it there so it can burn them much less and much slower. Hopper only turns when it needs more heat so at 450 you are cranked all the way up.

@Joe13 When you get a pellet grill it will change your life. I felt like I entered a whole new world of grilling with that. Smoking salmon on super low without having to play with charcoal is awesome. Sell that AK and get yourself a nice pellet grill. You will get a lot more use out of that! I would not say that but I have a good feeling it is not your only form of protection. I sold a sweet little Walther to fund mine.....I wont lie....I miss the Walther every day.

The smoked ribs make me forget all about it though.

I like my steak cooked as hot as I can get it. I just sear the heck out of it and have a perfect rare steak. Other than that everything is low temp and let that smoke set in! That flavor is the point of having a smoker/grill.

Bear Mountain pellets in Hood River or close to it for good pellets. BTW you pellet heads crack me up. Real BBQ with A pellet pooper? :(

Yep. You do it old school. I will set a timer and get the food when it is cooked just as well as old school.

Plus right now I have ribs on and I am in my pool without a care with all that perfect heat radiating smoke through those juicy ribs. Slowly sizzling away...I have an extended hopper so I do not have to check them until they are finished.

Like I said you guys crack me up. Enjoy your modern convinces and pray you don't have a power or electronic glitch halfway through your cook... But you could always finish them in the oven, right.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top