Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Smoked Salmon Recipies...

Discussion in 'Northwest Fishing' started by Cogs, Sep 20, 2015.

1. Cogs

Cogs Washougal, WA. Volunteer Coordinator 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

I'm not an expert but I do like to try! Learn a little more each year.

Here's a good base. Can't go wrong. Can do it, start to finish, in 1 day. I found this when searching for recipes, tried it and added extra stuff to it. Problem is, I never tried just the recipe all by itself and never wrote down the extras that I added. So, this year, I decided to do a batch with just the recipe; Good. Then tried a second batch with 1 extra ingredient to the brine, and so on. This year, I'm writing down the changes and additions. Still working on it, however, the base case is really good and the additions have been great.

Marylin's Squaw Candy (doubled from her recipe).
    • 1 Cup Soy Sauce
    • 4 Tbs Brown Sugar
    • 1 Tsp Fresh Ground Ginger Root
    • 1/2 Tsp Pepper
    • 2 Tsp Liquid Smoke
    • 1/2 Case Beer (to consume while watching the smoke!)
    • Boil ingredients, (without the beer), & let cool.
    • Marinate Salmon 2-3 hrs. (this is 2-3 times longer than Marylin's recipe).
    • Pat dry. (not mentioned on Marylin's recipe). (didn't rinse because short marinate time).
    • Oven warm (150) 45 mins - 1 hr. (to help facilitate the initial drying time).
    • Into smoker. (My charcoal smoker about 4 hrs. I add a lot of smoke. I like lots of smoke).
    • About half way, I brush on a glaze.
    Enjoy the beer!

Additions: Add 4 Tbs Worcestershire Sauce to the brine. Nice.
    Other additions yet to come.

Glaze: Tried Molasses & Honey mix and added Lemon. Not bad at all.

Glaze: Tried Sriracha Hot Chili Sauce & Honey. Love it!

Glaze: Really like Habanero Jelly with Honey mix. Very nice.

Modified the Brinkmann with a base that my sheet metal shop made for me. Makes it more convenient. Ha! The access door is a fan blade, from an air conditioner, that I cut down!
    IMG_20150920_144310.jpg
    Squaw Candy!
    IMG_20150912_162435.jpg

2. edslhead

edslhead Vanc Gold Supporter Gold Supporter Silver Supporter Bronze Supporter

Sounds like a fine recipe. I put 2 cups of orange marmalade in mine. Other than that their fairly similar.

Cogs likes this.
  3. jbett98

jbett98 NW Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

One thing I learned was to let it air dry after the brining until the meat gets tacky.
    It's called "Pellicle" I believe, and it's a key step in the smoking process as it helps with the infusion of the smoke flavors and also long term storage of the product.
    But that's not a real issue if when done right.
    I use a small house fan to speed up the drying times.
    I find that with Salmon the simplest recipe that is the easiest, is best.

Caveman Jim, oknow and Cogs like this.
  4. Cogs

Orange! I like that idea!

Good to know! Thanks for the help!

Caveman Jim and edslhead like this.
  5. ron

ron Vancouver, Washington Silver Supporter Silver Supporter

This is what I have used for many years. Everyone raves about
    my smoked salmon! Smoke with apple chips
    which gives it a velvety sweet texture. I use a Little Chief's.
    Candied Salmon
    3/4 Cup non iodized salt
    3/4 Cup sugar
    2 quart apple juice
    1 quart pineapple juice
    3 heaping Tablespoons minces garlic
    Marinate 24 hours minimum refrigerated
    After marinating do not rinse off, let dry for 1/2 hour or more.
    Optional, coat top with brown sugar before smoking.
    Dry for 8 to 12 hours depending
    on outdoor temp and thickness of salmon. I like it a little
    moist. No more than 3 pan fulls of apple wood chips.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2015
  6. oknow

oknow amboy wa. Well-Known Member

Just lit up a batch of salmon candy.
    One cup Sea salt to 4 pounds of brown sugar.
    Light layer of the brine to the bottom of a glass pan lay the fish out sprinkle more brown sugar mix over the fish layer if needed cover completely. Refrigerate for eight hours or overnight it will liquefy the brine and then rinse and let air dry. stick into the smoker until the fish starts to sweat. Let cool to room temperature Then stick in the fridge. It will end up coating itself with a sticky candy coating. Enjoy

Last edited: Sep 20, 2015
    KeepnitReel, Caveman Jim and Cogs like this.
  7. Reno911

Reno911 Hillsboro Well-Known Member 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

1/4 cup honey, 1/4 cup mustard, preferably jack Daniels brand. Mixed together with salt, cinnamon, paprika, allspice, and a little bit of black pepper. This is per filet. Double for the whole fish and so forth. Refrigerate over night with rub on and smoke the next day.

Cogs likes this.
  8. U201491

U201491 Well-Known Member

I'd tell ya but then I would have to kill ya :D

You all are too complicated.

Cherry Wood and forget the rest.

Molasses
    Brown Sugar
    Salt
    Make a thick brine to taste and then soak the salmon in it overnight
    Leave the brine on it.

Hard smoke it and eat all you can.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2015
    Caveman Jim, Joe13, Mikej and 2 others like this.
  9. Mikej

Mikej Portland Gold Supporter Gold Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

Yep....I've ruined a crap load of fish in a Little Chief over the years! Even threw away a perfectly good Little Chief out of disgust one time.

About ten years ago went to a simple salt/brown sugar coating. Pack the chunks in a container overnight/12 hours. The key with this method is the feel of the meat after curing. Rinsing and soaking with cold water until the texture of the meat is right. The cure need to reach all the way through the meat, but that can leave the outside of the meat too salty in places, hence the soak. I never did care for the wet brine method, the dry cure tastes better IMO, with better texture of the finished product.

I just use alder, that's all. And after 30+ years of messing with it, it comes out as a good smoked salmon. I wanna taste the fish, and I don't consider it "Candy", but food.

salmonriverjohn, Cogs and Joe13 like this.
  10. Joe13

Joe13 NW of Vancouver Opinionated & Blunt Bronze Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

I'm a brown sugar and salt guy personally.

I like orange juice and ginger and all the off shoots but salt and brown sugar with good fish is hard to beat.

11. DuneHopper

DuneHopper Douglas County. Well-Known Member

I tend to do a very simple recipe, over night in foil with lemon and pepper.
    Leave it in the foil and cook ..... tasty. Its what I usually do when camping.

12. Cogs

I'm going to have to try this simple stuff. Seems that I'm easily swayed by thoughts of "Oh, try that!... Now this would be good!... And add a little of this-n-that...".

I'm 'KISS' challenged!

Caveman Jim and Slobray like this.
  13. edslhead

I tried a friends dry recipe once. You just layer the fish in rock salt( lots of it) and leave it for no more than 45 minutes. The stuff works fast. Then for spice he just put Mcormicks seasoning on top before smoking. Came out drier than a Slim Jim. still have the bag of salt.

Cogs likes this.
  14. Mikej

My uncle-in-law lived in Longview and HE lived in Astoria for a month during fall to salmon fish, and it was him that put me onto the dry rub with rock salt for smoking salmon, AND ruining a bunch! I use pickling salt now, never did get the rock salt to work, always ended up with hard , candied edges.

15. edslhead

Cures the heck outa the fish though:D. Probably last for decades .

Caveman Jim likes this.
  16. jbett98

I salmon fished next to guys that would throw the just caught fish onto the bottom of the boat, beat the crap out of it's head with a small baseball bat to stun it, then leave it in the hot sun the rest of the morning.
    No cooler, no bleeding it out, just kick it from one side of the boat to the other in a burlap bag, while they hurriedly go back to fishing.
    You could smell it going to waste two boats over.
    I was taught to carefully net the fish, remove the hook and then while it's still in the net, cut both sides of the gills and let it bleed out in the transom. Then put it in an iced filled cooler.
    All the best recipes in the world won't help if the fish wasn't properly kept and prepared after being caught.

17. Mikej

You've seen the guys that troll that salmon around on a rope along side the boat too? In 70 degree water? Yeah....Ick!

I don't really have room for a BIG cooler, but I take a smaller cooler with ice and a burlap bag. If the air is cool and there's a breeze that will get the fish cooling in the bag. I leave early if I need to! Or, I will cut the tail and/or head of to get it in my to small cooler. The wife and I don't need to limit. I don't want to process THAT much fish anyway.

18. jbett98

If you slip the fish into a dry burlap bag and then take a wet bag and cover just the top part of the dry bag, the evaporating water will chill the dry bag below.
    It also helps to put it in a shady part of the boat.

19. Caveman Jim

Caveman Jim West of Oly Springer Slayer 2016 Volunteer

True that, I don't smack em with the mallet, I just run a thin nylon rope through the gill plate hang em over the side, slit both gills and let em bleed out thoroughly then into the cooler. Yeah, small children seeing my boat traveling down the road must think that I must be a mass murderer due to all the blood on the outside of my boat...:eek::eek::eek::eek: but I wash it off when I get home..;););)
    I don't smoke em because I'm on a strict low sodium diet and the salt is not good for my (equilibrium)...
    Yeah I had tried to cut down or even eliminate the amount of salt used but it just didn't taste right....
    Good recipes though!!!!

Last edited: Oct 14, 2015
    Cogs likes this.
  20. spectra

spectra The Couve Moderator Staff Member Bronze Supporter

Oh Salmon.........:rolleyes: Gave it up years ago.......

Grew up fishing and well it got old fast.....I do like it here and there but in the end still am not a fan.

Smoked is the only way I will eat it now....