JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Had friends over tonight and smoked a full packer prime cut brisket from Costco. Did my usual and smoked two pork butts on the rack above the Brisket. Basically for 14hrs the pork fat rain about 4+ cups of pork fat into the brisket. This is my trick for killer brisket.

Also end up with pulled pork too but the main reason for the pork is the rendering of fat slowly as the brisket cooks.

The smoked pulled pork was served as well but mainly will be vacuum packed tomorrow AM and frozen in family serving sizes. Smoked pork is about as universal as a meat can get. You can make anything with it.

Great evening with good food wine and friends to boot!

40DDFBAF-A935-413A-A65A-CE1D7A45E062.jpeg 1C4A0C2C-58EA-4826-9C09-D5DA7AA4795F.jpeg

Looks good! We did a pork butt last weekend and it disappeared before I could pack a lunch to take to work, LOL.

My wife always thinks I am nuts preparing the dry rubbed meat 12-24hrs in advance. Then getting up at 4AM to get meat in the smoker for that evening for a 7pm meal. It's a fine line for me. 5PM dinners = put it on Midnight the day before. It's done by 2PM and can rest in the Cambro up to the time to be cut and served. Pork does not care it can be done way in advance and held in the Cambro for 5+ hrs as long as the heat is in there to keep it above 140. I will hold it at 160-180.

I have found if you have to reheat pulled pork and Apple is helpful. Thin slice, then chop up an apple. Mix it into the pork. Ads moisture evenly and tastes great with the port. If you skinned the apple your guests will have no idea it's in there.

Had friends over tonight and smoked a full packer prime cut brisket from Costco. Did my usual and smoked two pork butts on the rack above the Brisket. Basically for 14hrs the pork fat rain about 4+ cups of pork fat into the brisket. This is my trick for killer brisket.

Also end up with pulled pork too but the main reason for the pork is the rendering of fat slowly as the brisket cooks.

The smoked pulled pork was served as well but mainly will be vacuum packed tomorrow AM and frozen in family serving sizes. Smoked pork is about as universal as a meat can get. You can make anything with it.

Great evening with good food wine and friends to boot!

View attachment 742400 View attachment 742402
Mmm, I'd make a bark sammy! lol

Mmm, I'd make a bark sammy! lol

Oh I always make a little pile of chopped up burnt ends mixed with the holding pan juices, (I let people sauce their own as they like) I put it in the corner of the serving pan. Those who know what it is, devour that little pile. And yes those burnt ends make a killer Sammy.

Going to have to give that pork butt trick a try. Do you use the same seasoning/rub on the pork butts as the brisket?
[/QUOTE

Yes same rub on both. Not allot of heat in the rub like one might do for just pork butts. They are in there for the brisket, so seasoned to be like a brisket. This technique I figured out cooking for a huge event and just happened to put the port butts on the racks above the briskets. (I have 5 vertical racks in my Fast Eddies Cook Shack FEC120, Reverse flow pellet smoker made in OK) So far 360 pepole were the most Cooked for, HS Football team, coaches and parents. Its a fun hobby.

What's the rub?

Kosher Salt (flake)
Smoked Mexican paprika
Reg. Paprika
Cayenne pepper
Oregino
Ground garlic
Cumin
Ground black pepper
(Little) Brown sugar (adjusted up and down opposite of the Cayenne Pepper)

I mix it in a large bowl, then run it though a coffee grinder.

Kosher Salt (flake)
Smoked Mexican paprika
Reg. Paprika
Cayenne pepper
Oregino
Ground garlic
Cumin
Ground black pepper
(Little) Brown sugar (adjusted up and down opposite of the Cayenne Pepper)

I mix it in a large bowl, then run it though a coffee grinder.
Thanks. aside from the smoked Mexican paprika those ingredients are well known and oft used for rub in this house.

The bark on that thing looks delicious.

Over coals ? Traeger ?

Cookshack FEC120 reverse flow pellet smoker. (Made in Ponca City, Oklahoma USA.) Holds 120-150lbs of meat fully insulated, looks like a half-sized commercial fridge, but a programable smokey one! By having vertical space I can have the two pork butts over the top of the brisket for the tasty pork fat rain.

Cookshak FEC120.jpg FEC120-2_2000x.jpg

A nice progressive cooker.

I only got it as my cooks started getting larger as my boys got older like 7th grad footall 60 total to HS Football 350 total! Huge face slap when I got this smoker and suddenly realized I did not have the refrigeration space to support holding 120lbs of meat! Trip to Roses in Portland fixed that, but ouch after buying the smoker.

Funny thing me at Roses "I hear the True brand is the best, do I really need that?"
Sales guy "depends. How many times a day do your kitchen staff open the refrigerator door?". Me "Ah like none we are a metal shop, I have welders. I just want this for my BBQ I do."
Sales guy "ah ok well the Saturn brand will do just fine then.... metal shop?" :eek:
Ya I keep this beast at my work. Makes for smoking for meals easier as I just do it as I work. My staff at times tease me of running a catering service. :confused::cool: No. Its for fun.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top