JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I have a project on my hands. Long story short, I bought a 41 Lithgow on Gunboards and got fleeced. The seller failed to disclose major damage to the Coachwood furniture. The stock would normally be a throw away, but replacement Coachwood stocks are unobtanuim.

Thread here: https://www.gunboards.com/threads/lithgow-coachwood-stock-issues-and-repair-advice-needed.1177342/

My ask: Take a look at the thread and see if you may have any ideas not already mentioned. Also, are there any talented woodworkers locally in WA/OR that can help me with this?

Sorry, there is no amount of woodwork that will save that stock. It is cracked in two different places and the wood between the front action screw and mag well is....gone.

Another coachwood stock, if you find one will run you about 200 bucks.

Good luck with this.

If you can't get anywhere, I do have a brand new unissued British made fore end for 150 bucks. Then it will still need to be fitted.

Last Edited:
I may take you up on that offer, but the only reason I got this rifle was Coachwood stock. I already have 2 other No1s. The more I think about this the more I'm pissed at the seller and don't believe for a second his "I had no idea" story. Oh well, win some loose some.

Sorry, there is no amount of woodwork that will save that stock. It is cracked in two different places and the wood between the front action screw and mag well is....gone.

Another coachwood stock, if you find one will run you about 200 bucks.

Good luck with this.

If you can't get anywhere, I do have a brand new unissued British made fore end for 150 bucks. Then it will still need to be fitted.

I looked at that, but can't understand how acraglass would help in this case? I basically have structural parts that broke off in shear. Can you ellaborate?

That stock is a great candidate for Brownells Acraglas. I've been able to save many stocks that folks thought there was no hope...

The stock is too far gone, esp with the damage in the draws and at the front action screw.

There are some things even accraglass can't fix.

About the action screw, are you sure that's damaged? When i look at new production sets, the wood does not look much different:

About the action screw bushing. On No1s I think it was never fully embeded in the wood. I think the crack forward of the trigger guard is due to the bushing spreading the wood apart as it pulls backwards, but I don't think there is any material missing actually in that spot.

I need to take apart my other Ligthgow to check, but below is a picture of a new repro stock.

1607053585484.png

and this is my stock

1607053690054.png

I agree that it CAN be done, seen some stocks that I thought were barely worth firewood and had as much wood in them as a wooden match that were spliced, built up, shaped and inletted beautfully as the person "had no money" to buy a new stock, but if their time was worth 10 cents/hour they could have paid a custom stock maker to make them a new stock from a triple A blank cheaper. I guess it all depends on how much you want to keep the Coachwood stock and how much you are willing to do in the areas where the repairs can't be seen.

Purple Heart, which is tough but brittle. I'm thinking of redoing the plug in Cherry. Dry fitting for now. It will be epoxied and it will also get pinned, or screwed to the stock.

rep1.JPG
rep2.JPG rep3.JPG rep4.JPG rep5.JPG

Last Edited:
Epoxied everything, added screws to strengthen the sides, they go into the sides, but not through, filled in backplate, ground flat when dry.

Glued draws.JPG
backplate.JPG
Backplate filled.JPG

Epoxied everything, added screws to strengthen the sides, they go into the sides, but not through, filled in backplate, ground flat when dry.

View attachment 788458
View attachment 788478
View attachment 788493

Heck of a story you're telling here, and the gunboards thread.....With what looks to be a happy ending coming? I hope.

I picked up a BSA No1 MK III built 1918, a year or so ago. I don't think there were any issues when I took it down? These threads have sure opened my eyes to how precise these gun were put together. I keep thinking how glad I am that I was smart enough to look at utoob before taking off that rear stock!

Last Edited:
I have to say I actually like these little projects and if it helps others, then even better. A number of my rifles were project if you look at my post history.

Yes, I think this SMLE will be back in service.

After all the epoxy dried I realized the Purple Heart makes for a pretty strong repair without the need for additional screws, so I put her back together and let her rejoin her 41 Aussie sister...

Now... let's see about that K98k...

Ausies.JPG

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews