JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
that horrible shotgun they just released, the VHS renamed Hellion bullpup for almost $2k, S&W should stick to quality revolvers people actually want and bring back the 59 series 9mms everybodies owned one and loved.

my two cents
6syceu.jpg

I think it has a lot on where you live on what's in stock. I was in boise last weekend and I almost got divorced. I left the gun stores drooling on all the stuff they had in stock lol. Guns that are hard to find here were all over the place.....

View attachment 1273800
Hello,

I think that it depends on the location - city, rural area and/or state. Some parts of one state will have a LOT of stock on hand in a variety of guns and other parts will be bone dry when it comes to a GOOD selection of firearms from a to z.

I noticed this back east in farm/lake country = Rural Great Lakes region, on the East Coast including all over in Maine (Sea Coast to other parts.) = Mid Atlantic region to Maine, and out west in Montana, Wyoming and back in Colorado = 22 (?) some years ago. (I did not shop in Utah. Plane transfer.)

The people who were with me bought their own firearms from the late 60's and on plus inherited OLD, beautiful and classic firearms. Some of those older men could NOT get over the PRICES worse off the lack of or ABUNDANCE of firearms in stock.

Plus I do think that many boomers are still downsizing BIG TIME, moving FAR away from their home state or out of the country, selling out, etc. and estate sales are STILL going on and have been going on and not just during the fake/real so called shortages too. From guns to ammunition to reloading supplies. PLUS all of the other STUFF out here from holsters to scopes to chronographs to whatever!

Thanks for sharing what you saw in that part of Idaho.

Take care!

Cate

Typos and added more.

Last Edited:
I saw this news about S&W the other day in several places.

Thanks for putting this up.

I spoke to a couple of LOCAL dealers and some of the CLASSIC S&W d/a revolvers are still very hard to find (NIB) and even for the older ones.

I was told the same thing about the CLASSIC Ruger single action revolvers.

Take care!

Cate

I saw this news about S&W the other day in several places.

Thanks for putting this up.

I spoke to a couple of LOCAL dealers and some of the CLASSIC S&W d/a revolvers are still very hard to find (NIB) and even for the older ones.

I was told the same thing about the CLASSIC Ruger single action revolvers.

Take care!

Cate
I have four S&W revolvers and they are my favorites - a 325TR, TRR8 (327), 329PD (a beast to shoot, nice to carry) and a Model 43 Airweight Kit gun in .22 rimfire. I used to have a 460V and it was fun to shoot but too heavy to carry - the 325TR replaced it.

I wish S&W would come out with a lightweight 4-5" .40 revolver along the lines of the 325/327/329 - they could name it the 324PD. But they probably won't.

Speaking as someone with minimal knowledge of S&W revolvers, and as someone who still does not own a single revolver: which S&W revolver would you buy if you could buy just One. And why that one? Colt Python is not an answer, LOL.

Please include the caliber of that S&W of course.

Speaking as someone with minimal knowledge of S&W revolvers, and as someone who still does not own a single revolver: which S&W revolver would you buy if you could buy just One. And why that one? Colt Python is not an answer, LOL.

What calibers do you shoot?
Are you gonna carry or just shoot?
Stainless or Blued? Newer or older?
Myself I have a 686-7 7 shot .357mag in stainless.
I have owned a few .38spl snubnose revolvers that I like, model 36, 642, 442, ideal for carry.

I actually like M&Ps and saw this and said hell no. Standard m&p just with a new lower and not even performance center. They definitely needed to make it standout further than a typical m&p.
Well, it is a silver-grey color... :cool:

686 / 586 series in .357, shooting .38's. Having said that, it's one that I personally don't have! My bride does so I borrow hers on occasion.

Maybe they will finally lower the price of their Optics Ready M&P9 2.0 pistols down to $500 or less.

Heck I picked up a 4" compact with night sights for $350 right before the pandemic.
1. Remove the internal lock on revolvers.
2. Produce a quality .22 rimfire revolver like a model 17 0or 18 without the under lug.
3. Produce a Quality .357 Mountain Gun
4. Produce a quality .357 Mag that is cut for .9mm/moonclips.
5. Get serious about quality control and customer service.
Do the above, and sales will double in the first two years.
Best,
Gary

These were my former and SWEET S&W handguns bought in the late 90's to 2001, back east.

ALL NIB. ALL from my favorite FFL man - family gun store.

Model 686 - 5 (5?) is what I owned. (357Magnum/38Special and Plus P.)

FULL LUG, 6 INCH BARREL, 6 ROUNDS, STAINLESS STEEL, ADJUSTABLE SIGHT, HOGUE OR CLASSIC WOOD GRIPS.

Combat Masterpiece name? NOT positive now but I think so. I had a bunch of the S&W brochures from the factory, I ordered them via the tellie, I had a few from my former dealer, and I had a BIG old GUN DIGEST book at the time as a Newbie.

I had a BEAUTIFUL S&W embroidered black/grey soft pistol case for this too. NOT just the case that it came in. It was a Christmas gift that I picked out for myself!

At the time, S&W did make a 686 PLUS which = 7 rounds. Mine was NOT a 7 round one. I did NOT want that model.

I do NOT know what they make now for sure.

They made a 686 PORTED one for a time frame too. Mine was NOT ported. I did NOT want that model.

~~~

Model 60. I do NOT remember the DASH. Late 90s. NIB like all of mine were.

I had this in a 38Special and plus p only when they were only going to make the Model 60s in 357Magnum ONLY.

I got it on SALE plus an immediate rebate right there at my dealer.

Mine was 3 inch barrel, 5 rounds, adjustable sight, stainless steel, etc. I am pretty sure (99%) that this had the Uncle Mike's black grips and NOT the Hogue grips and I was thinking about getting the S&W wood classic grips for it too.

I decided to get THIS 38Special and Plus P MODEL 60 because I KNEW that I did not and I would NOT want to shoot 357Magnum LOADS (FBI loads.) out of a THREE INCH BARREL so I decided to get it and ON SALE plus with the REBATE.

And since I bought all of my guns with my favorite dealer - son of the owner - I got an even cheaper PRICE!

Plus I used their INDOOR RANGE @ the store and my own private Sportsmen's Club closer to my very rural home.

The 6 MEANS stainless steel or it used to mean it.

I do not know what they make now for sure.

REMEMBER that in many OLDER HANDGUNS - they can't use PLUS P ammo and IN the newer handguns - they will STATE if it can handle a PLUS P load. As in 38Special and 38Special plus p. I only tried the plus p a couple of times but basically bought 38Special ONLY. (Or 357Magnum for those other handgun/handguns and eventually some rifles.)

~~~

Model 317 = S&W Kit Gun in 22lr. Mine had a 3 inch barrel, adjustable rear sight, solid - plain BLACK METAL front sight not the UGLY green viz FRONT sight that they have now, 8 shot, Uncle Mike's black grips - standard, etc.

~~~

(Semi automatic pistols: S&W Model 41 and S&W Model 22A.)

~~~

I ALWAYS wanted but never did get the BEAUTIFUL and CLASSIC S&W d/a revolver in 22lr with the 6 inch barrel.

I chose to get RUGER single action revolvers instead in the BLACKHAWK (45Long Colt and 357Magnum.) and in the super single six aka convertible ones in 22lr/22wmr.

~~~

I got 2 gifts in the S&W famous DIRTY HARRY d/a revolvers. ONE OWNER OWNED - I knew the owners and so did my MT husband and they were in excellent condition.

One was from a deceased old friend.

The Model 29-2 and the 29-3. One came in a wooden box with the goodies. The other one was the gun only.

I shot some 44Magnum but mainly 44 Specials OUT OF THEM. I NEVER ASKED for these gifts, NEVER hinted for them, I had shot ONE OF THEM at one event, and they were the ONLY 44s that I EVER owned.

I did shoot a rented from my gun store S&W Model 629 back at my indoor range ONE TIME and so did my late husband. He was with me at the time.

I shot MY previously specifically chosen by ME guns the most in 357Magnum, 38Special, a bit of Plus P just to see what THAT was all about, 45Long Colt, my 9mm Glock - first gun, and LOTS of my 22lr handguns and three 22lr rifles back east and out here.

I preferred to SHARE AMMO between ALL of my guns and the ONLY guns that I bought for myself that did NOT share ammo between them were in ONE 45Long Colt (Ruger Blackhawk) and in ONE 9mm (Glock 19) BACK EAST.

I gifted the 2 MODEL 29s to my MT husband after several years of owning them.

My MT husband sold them eventually to a man who had MANY 44 caliber guns. My husband had NO 44s at the time other than those 2 Model 29s and HE was ALWAYS INTO 45s more from 45Long Colt in MANY s/a revolvers to 45acp - pistols and so forth.

I preferred SHOOTING the 45Long Colt out of handguns and eventually some rifles and 357Magnum/38Special handguns and eventually some rifles OVER any HANDGUN in 44Magnum and even the nicer 44Special loads. I did what worked for ME coming out of a bad fall - accident - plaster cast. And my arthritis was NOT that bad at the time. I was in my late 40s to middle and late 50s at the time too. I am 72 years old now. I shot TONS of 22lr and 9mm too.

(I was INTO RUGER single action revolvers a LOT too. ONE BLACKHAWK in 45Long Colt back east and out here - same gun.

ONE BLACKHAWK in 357Magnum/38Special out here.

I owned SEVERAL RUGER 22lr/22wmr single six convertibles and one 22lr special run back east and out here.)

Plus the Glock 19s in 9mm.

Will you share any ammo - common caliber in a rifle cartridge with a NEW REVOLVER if you decided to buy a d/a revolver in S&W?

Do you already own any CF PISTOL CALIBER rifles? They are a HOOT to shoot, good self defense even in some woods and can work very well for someone who no longer shoots a 30-30 Win. caliber rifle.

If you choose to and can SHARE some ammo it may make it easier if you buy ammo or if you reload.

Best wishes to you!

Cate

Last Edited:

Dang! I read you wrong. I apologize to you.

Buy ONE?

S&W MODEL 686 in a 357Magnum with a 6 INCH BARREL.

Buy ONE?

RUGER BLACKHAWK in a 357Magnum with a 6.5 INCH (Or 6 inch?) BARREL.

The RUGER BLACKHAWK that I owned in 45Long Colt had a 7.5 inch barrel and she was a SWEET tack driver too. BUT if you do not reload - the ammo is VERY EXPENSIVE NOW. I owned a sweet Blackhawk in 357Magnum too. It was BLUED not stainless steel. (My husband owned many in stainless steel.)

I did NOT reload. I never did reload.

My MT husband does reload and has since the early 70's.

Cate
PS: I no longer own, carry or shoot handguns. But I can say that every single handgun that I specifically BOUGHT for myself, chose for MYSELF, did all of my OWN research on ahead of time, SHOT, and carried in a good quality made holster that SUITED ME - fit me, especially out west, are ones that I NEVER EVER REGRETTED BUYING.

Top brands and good quality made guns!

Glock, Smith and Wesson, and Ruger.

(I never shot the former Italian BP one.)

The S&W CLASSIC CF and RF d/a revolvers that are BLUED with the S&W logo wooden grips are to DIE for. LOL

If you plan to carry them a lot, actually shoot them as some of us USED TO BE high volume shooters especially using RF firearms, some of us competed, do not plan to have them SIT IN A PRETTY LITTLE BOX OR CASE... I would GO with stainless steel.

But the OLDER CLASSIC S&W d/a revolvers that I came THIS CLOSE TO BUYING (LOL) NIB in the late 90's and on as a NEWBIE were in a beautiful BLUE - a DEEP BLUE like my late husband's famous DAN WESSON d/a revolver with the pretty wood grips. BEAUTIFUL gun - a classic!

I am showing my husband a S&W link now too. That 22lr one that I almost bought in the late 90's cost pretty close to the 357Magnum one (686) that I ended up buying. It was close to the same price or the same price. I CRS now for sure.

I do KNOW that they HELD THEIR VALUE and then some. Same as with the Ruger single actions, etc.

Old Lady Cate
PS: My MT husband had some BEAUTIFUL S&W d/a revolvers in his life too. NOT tons of them but I did see a few in person. BEAUTIFUL blued, nickle plated and stainless steel.

Just one?
My first one.
A K -Frame Mod 18 .22rf. I have put more than 60,000 rounds through this gun.
Got it brand new in 1969
Accurate, easy and affordable to shoot, and just plain fun.
Best,
Gary

What calibers do you shoot?
Are you gonna carry or just shoot?
Stainless or Blued? Newer or older?
Myself I have a 686-7 7 shot .357mag in stainless.
I have owned a few .38spl snubnose revolvers that I like, model 36, 642, 442, ideal for carry.
Thanks all! To answer, likely to carry. Love the look of stainless, but not critical. Thanks Firearm, would you say that like Cate, the 686 is the best one to own? is .357 the prefered caliber? I've been sticking with 9mm and .45, and own no .357's.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top