JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
OK, so I did a helluva lot of research, and shot many pistols before I settled upon yet another Smith M&P, this time the 2.0 in 9mm. The trigger WAS better than the generation one model, and for a short time I felt that I wouldn't swap it out for an aftermarket trigger.

That was before I saw the Apex Tactical Flat Faced Forward Set trigger.

maxresdefault.jpg

I also watched a few videos online before ordering one, but I eventually bit the bullet and did it. Man am I glad I did! The flat face feels awesome compared to the articulated hook of the original trigger. The short take-up, clean break, and positive reset all make for a far superior trigger in every respect. And OH that reset!- ¼ inch at most!

Smith & Wesson could have made a few extra mods to make their stock trigger truly great, but I suspect they either just don't get it and never will, or they're making their triggers crappy to keep Apex Tactical in business. Either way, this trigger is a HUGE improvement, and I had tighter groups right off the bat once it was installed. I LOVE this trigger!

Last Edited:
I shoot my Shield so well I can't imagine changing anything, but I'd like to see what a flat/straight trigger would feel like. That looks pretty interesting.

Ah, no. Not even close. In fact it was less than my original Forward Set Trigger on my Gen 1 M&P.
My wife's had the 1.0 for some time now and, although it's great as a very concealable emergency self-defense/escape piece (not a precision target shooter), we'd both like to upgrade from the gritty/creepy feel of that factory trigger. Do you find the Apex FSS trigger kit for the 1.0 worthwhile? I might just smooth out the striker block first and then decide.

Thanks for sharing.

Last Edited:
If I had to get in a gunfight, the M&P would be on my short list of preferred guns. BUT, if I were 20 yards or more from a bad guy and had one shot to turn off his computer, Id hope I had something else.
While I'd always rather have my 45, I have no concerns shooting 25-30 yards with my Shield. I find it to be a very accurate little pistol, especially for such a short sight radius.

Apex flat faced trigger and carry kit takes the Shield from good to great imho. Best single upgrade I think you can make and worth every penny.
Oh course, I "accepted" the original trigger, I love the Apex. The pull and break is just so clean.

Had a friend try out a few of the toys to help make his final choice of ccw purchase. He bought a new PC Shield. Poor guy thought he bought the wrong gun cause mine feels so much better.

Do you find the Apex FSS trigger kit for the 1.0 worthwhile? I might just smooth out the striker block first and then decide.

Thanks for sharing.

Oh HELL yes! That trigger is like night and day from the original. The one and only thing I don't like about my original FSS trigger from Apex is that the reset is SO light that it's difficult to feel and hear. Not a problem with this flat faced trigger at all. (Apex got THAT right).

In fact, after Christmas I'm going to order a Reset Assist Mechanism (RAM) from Apex and install it in to my first M&P in order to get a more tactile reset.

Last Edited:
"White Knuckles" trying to control an M&P in .40 Cal, a bit better with Talon Grips...

Perhaps revolvers may be S&W's acumen...

:s0036:

There are so many offerings/flavors/versions of guns these days, manufacturers trot out a few/several new models every year. Perhaps the rush to do that might result in a few cut corners ("We'll introduce a refined v2.0 next year - after consumers pay us for the privilege of beta testing this one."). And of course, there's simply the matter of cutting manufacturing costs in order to sell affordable guns to consumers (while business is good, and before they're all illegal).

I can't personally rag on the S&W's gritty trigger too much since a buddy allowed Mrs. Teflon to fire a few of his own compact pistols, whereupon she decided she liked the Shield best. We've been happy with it as it comes from the factory. But then... I can't think of too many weps I didn't eventually customize/upgrade, just 'cause.

Last Edited:
The 2.0 trigger is still the best factory trigger on a polymer gun IMO. I like it better than the Walther. But you will never get a custom level trigger on a production level gun. Certainly not a $500 production level gun. This is because cost and liability are of paramount concern to the maker.

I just bought a 1.0 Shield. With all the guys installing an Apex in there 2.0's I'm thinking of buying a used 2.0 trigger since it's supposed to be better than the 1.0.

It's not JUST the part you put your finger on. That "gritty" feeling also has a lot to do with how the Trigger Bar engages the Firing Pin Safety.

APEX100158-a.jpg
Oh HELL yes! That trigger is like night and day from the original. The one and only thing I don't like about my original FSS trigger from Apex is that the reset is SO light that it's difficult to feel and hear. Not a problem with this flat faced trigger at all. (Apex got THAT right).

In fact, after Christmas I'm going to order a Reset Assist Mechanism (RAM) from Apex and install it in to my first M&P in order to get a more tactile reset.

I did the whole meal deal RAM also. I have a loud reset click on mine.

Ordered only the Flat Face FSS Trigger as I have all the other parts installed already.

I have a reliable 2.5lb trigger now.
After talking with Doug at Apex.... I should see 2.0 or sub 2lb trigger after the install.

It WILL be here by Monday.
And I will post results. 20180108_173532.jpg

I swore ten ways from Sunday that I'd never like a Glock. Until I got a Gen 4 Glock 19 and put the same Apex trigger in it. I had to swap out the trigger bar for a Gen 3 trigger bar to install it but man was it worth it. I have to steal it away from people when I let them shoot it at the range. It literally transforms it into a different animal. I don't know why the manufacturers don't just partner with Apex and sell pistols right out of the box with those internals. They'd sell a million of them.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top