JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I see that Skydiver posted the link to their ad, but not sure if anyone has really looked at it.

Fishermen's Marine has the Smith & Wesson Sport AR15 on sale for $649.

I'm sure there will be those that will say they can build one for that price, I don't doubt you can.

But for those who don't have the skills, tools, or knowledge of where to begin looking for 'affordable' parts and prices, this is a very good deal. :s0155:

But...hurry, because they aren't offering Rain Checks at that price either.

This is a great price for a local sale buuuuuuttttttt.....Since you brought it up......

Del-Ton parts kit: $470.00 direct from mfg
Spikes stripped lower:$89.99 Brownells
Shipping: $30.00 roughly
Rough total: $590.00 plus your time and tools if you don't have them.

This is a great price for a local sale buuuuuuttttttt.....Since you brought it up......

Del-Ton parts kit: $470.00 direct from mfg
Spikes stripped lower:$89.99 Brownells
Shipping: $30.00 roughly
Rough total: $590.00 plus your time and tools if you don't have them.

LOL...since you brought it up...

Now, add to that a Magpul rear sight, 6-position collapsible stock, and a 30-rd magazine. Also add in the transfer fee and background check on the lower. And find all of those pieces on sale...at the same time. :huh:

And the only time and effort you made on this pieces was to drive over and buy it. :s0114:

I know it's possible to build one 'close' to that retail price - I've assembled most of what is in my safe. But for that price, and the only thing missing really is some ammo, you'd be hard pressed to beat it. Not saying impossible. But from some of the things I've seen sell on here and other sites and for the prices they've been advertised or sold for, this is a pretty darn good deal ;)

LOL..no problem. I've read all kinds of reviews on them, ranging from 'heck of a deal' to 'run away as fast as u can' - I guess it doesn't come with a forward assist or a dust cover.

Sounds kind of like a DPMS Sportical or one of the new Mossberg's. But from tests they've done and written up on it - form, fit, and function wise, it's all Smith & Wesson. But at that price, you could change out the upper receiver if you really had to have the FA and dust cover.

Or, save up the extra money and buy something else that suits your needs :s0114: All comes down to what you think you need, what you want, and how much you want to spend. But for under $650, this is a good deal.

I'm sure for $650 there isn't much there. The problem with "reviews" is that they are generally in magazines that sell multiple full page ads to those that they are "reviewing". I enjoy Guns & Ammo, but the reviews are bought and sold like politicians. The best thing to do when looking into a firearm like this is to go to websites that sell them and have buyer feedback. I can't tell you how many "reviews" claimed the Mossberg .22lr AR to be on par with the Colt and S&W. It is not even close. It is a cheap pile of garbage in comparison. But, Mossberg had 2 or 3 ad's in those magazines. The AR in question is an S&W and they make for the most part fine weapons. That counts for something. Let's not forget though, that S&W also gave us the Sigma. Kip

True. But even 'reviews' that you find on a company website could be 'planted' :s0131: I've always found that the best source of information is to pick up the item yourself and look it over. You can research the brand, even the particular model, keeping in mind again that the writers are paid to write stuff. But find out some information on why certain features are on a gun, what manufacturing techniques were used (pros & cons), what materials, etc. You can also put faith in 'word-of-mouth' reviews, recommendations or not, from friends, so-called gun experts, store clerks, or...the interwebz ;)

But this is an entry-level model by S&W. They aren't pretending it is anything else. But, you do get the S&W reputation behind it, which does count for a little bit. But for someone wanting to get into an AR, and who doesn't need something that they could probably carry into a carbine class, or to Afghanistan - and who doesn't want to spend up to or more than a grand on the latest designer brand AR's, this is a way to go. ;)

I bought this AR a few months ago for the same price. I've ran 2k rounds through it with a decent red dot and can group 30 rounds within a few inches at 100 yards. For the price it was a no brainer for me :)

I recently purchased this M&P AR and it's my first rifle, haven't shot it yet but I'm in love with it. I'm a newby when it comes to carbines. I think it was a steal and i can customize the he'll out of it for under 1000$. Bad ***.

One like this would be great for a "loaner" gun. Like when a friend wants to go shooting with you, but doesn't have a rifle himself. Also would be good if you are trying to teach someone, like a kid or spouse, weapons skills. I don't want any of my guns to be dropped, but if I had to choose, I'd rather have a $650 M&P get dropped and abused than a LMT or LWRC.... I'm building an AR now where my barrel alone is $400. Maybe when done with this build, I'll find one of these to pick up too.

Just curious, but...if your [insert favorite brand here] gun can't stand up to your wife or kid dropping it (by accident, or on purpose), do you really want to bank on that particular gun being your go-to piece when you have to go to it?

I understand, it's hard to think about spending hard earned $$'s on a particular brand name, then watch your family or friend drop it by accident while learning to use it.

But I'm pretty sure that LMT, LWRC, or [insert brand here] gun will take the drop as well as that $649 S&W. If it didn't, you should have spent the money buying a few more S&W's.

I've dropped Noveske, LMT, Colt, BMC, etc. several times, and yes - even on purpose, and so far, none have balked at it. My son was climbing out of a stand (about 12ft up), and an AR we built slipped off his shoulder, bounced off a few limbs and rocks on the bottom before STICKING barrel down in the mud and soft dirt in a small gully next to the tree. I was more concerned that he didn't slip out of the stand and fall, than I was about the gun. But, other a small dent on the end of the scope, a few scratches on the receiver and FF tube, and having to clean the mud out of the barrel and MB, the gun didn't even lose zero. Hat's off to Noveske 18" SPR and PWS muzzle break for sticking the landing. Judges were holding 10's all around. :s0114:

Not saying my gun can't stand up to some use and abuse. Guess what I was trying to say is that the S&W is a good gun to get for a loaner. I'd rather spend $650 on one that will see occasional use, rather than $1500+...And if I drop one of my guns and scratch it up, I don't care, but I tend to get a lil upset if someone else does. But if I have a gun specifically for others to use, it won't matter...kinda like a rental car. If I don't make much sense, it could be the fact I've got one hell of a sinus infection that's got my left eye swollen shut and I've been using old home remedy of bourbon, lemon, honey, and lemon...

Good discussions, specifically the "reasoning" why this is a great price. I was actually planning to purchase my 2nd firearm within a couple of weeks. I currently have a 40 Cal and thinking of getting a 9mm. Now I am considering this AR as another option because I am heading to Portland this weekend so I can check it out, if they have will have one in their store.

Members are allowed to ask whatever they want for items posted in the classified sections. If you don't like the price of an item, simply move on. Posting negative comments will result in the revocation of your classified privileges.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top