JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have a S&W M&P 15 All of the S&W AR's are very decent and well made rifles. I've certainly been happy with mine. Sure, I suppose Colt owners look down on all of them. But the M&P 10 is a pretty awesome 308, as it comes with an 18 inch barrel, yet still manages to come in at a very light weight.

My only complaint is that the factory standard furniture on the Smiths is so very basic and generic. Fortunately, since it is an AR, it is super easy to upgrade the furniture.

Do yourself a favor, and get a MAGPUL MOE handguard to fit it. Better grip, better control and venting of heat, and it allows you to easily attach rails if you want to add any accessories. Also replace the standard stock with a MAGPUL CTR stock. Both handguard and stock are super easy to install. Anyone can do it. Total suggested retail for both is only $75, and you can find them on sale in many stores, even in Cabelas.

Then also buy a Limbsaver MAGPUL recoil pad, for another $42 suggested retail:

http://www.limbsaver.com/product/magpul-carbine-stock-recoil-pad-2/

Really good quality pad, that you will appreciate having on a 308 rifle.

I really like to use a vertical grip on my handguard, and the fantastic Grip Pod Model GPS-02 that our armed forces use can be found on Ebay for less than $50. Not only is is a great grip, but just push a button, and it instantly turns into a Bipod! Way cool product. Makes it real easy to set your rifle down anywhere, without getting it dirty.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-GPS-02-Grip-Pod-Systems-Vertical-Fore-Grip-Bi-pod-/271861400266

If you got all of those items, you would only spend $170 at full list price. And none of this would really affect the weight of the rifle adversely.

Other than that, the only other thing to get would be a good scope. I really like some of the new Leupold VX-R scopes. They are nice quality glass, yet they are fairly compact and not real heavy like many scopes. And they have very cool reticles with illuminated red dots in the center, and are reasonable mid-price scopes.

Take a look at the VX-R Hog 1.25-4x20mm, the VX-R 2-7x33mm ( the model that I bought ), or the VX•R 3-9x40mm. These all have awesome 30mm tubes, bright clear optics, Leupold's great Firedot illumination, and great turrets with easy 1/4 MOA adjustments and covers. Typical street prices is about $500 for any of them.

Last Edited:
I found the info about the taper and counter on the barrel most interesting. Looks like a most efficient design. And those groups with the Hornady match ammo were impressive. Very cool that both the safety and bolt release are ambidextrous too.

He is very knowledgeable, without acting like he knows everything too. But I don't always agree with him on everything. For example, that Nikon M-223 3-12x42mm scope he put on it is not a bad scope. But it does not have turret covers, which is a pet peeve of mine. And it is quite heavy at 20 oz. That is adding another 1.25 lbs to the rifle. So it is not a scope that I would choose.

If you decide that you want to get a 3-12x for long range shooting for your rifle, a much better choice ( in my opinion ) is the Sightron Big Sky II 3-12x42mm It does everything that Nikon can do, plus it is available in an awesome Mil-Dot reticle, and weighs a full 7 oz less. Both sell for around $450, and the Sightron is just as well made as the Nikon, and just as bright and clear.

Looks like if one shops around, one can find some pretty good deals on the M&P 10. I spent so much money customizing and enhancing my DPMS. This rifle is a good buy, in my opinion.

hay i apreacheat your guys input i checked one out here in woodland im a lefty but i shoot right handed with rifles go figure every thing else im a lefty its nice that this rifle has controls on both sides thats what i like abount benchmade axcess lock good for us lefties

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top