JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi

Long time lurker first time poster.

I have an old Smith and Wesson .38 Special Military and Police. In the original box complete with the owners manual with a cop wearing a complete "Dudley Do-Right" outfit.

I know it has less than 50 rounds put through it since it was my fathers and it lived in his closet until the day he died. 100% perfect shape.

It is numbered "S 870xxx"

What would the general vintage be?

Is it worth getting a Certificate of Authenticity from Smith?

I don't plan on selling it but a general value range would be nice. It is worth far more to me as a sentimental piece than anything else.

Thanks

I say get the letter. I have a S&W Military and Police Model of 1905, Second Change. With my serial #139*** it was made in 1909. The S&W letter tells you when it was made and where it was shipped too originally. Since you already have more with your gun than most (box, manual, etc) the letter would be a nice addition. I recieved my letter in only a few weeks.
As for your serial number, use Google :) My guess is 1950s.

Thanks.

I tried Google already. And, have found very little serial number info. But from what I could tell. It may be earlier than the 50's. But since there is no online source for numbers like there are for 1903's, etc I am having a hard time nailing down even a three year window.

Any other thoughts?

The letter does sound like a good idea.

There is a Smith& Wesson forum out there I forget the name, Smith &Wesson something, but they could help you out.

they have a mega thread on serial numbers there

Found my cheat-sheet I put together prior to buying mine! Info was gathered from various online resources: Serial numbers starting "S 8" were made 1945-1948. Value at 100% $420.
I was pretty close with my original 1950's guess!
1899-1942 had no letter in the serial number. 1942-1945 started "VI" or "SV". 1945-1948 started "S8". 1948-1968 started "C1". 1968-1982 started "D1".
Hope that helps. As most will tell you, the gun is worth whatever someone is willing to pay. Sounds like a great gun though!

And I forgot- that value code was online somewhere. However, at Cabelas in Lacey, they have some similar Pre-model 10s in their Gun Library... prices range from $399-1,200. I think added value comes from quality condition but also age and rare calibers. As of my Cabelas trip today, there are at least three guns to go look at. Pick em up, compare em to yours, and theres your value!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top