JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Whats everyone's opinions of the 5906 and the 6906? I can get one or the other for about the same price, sadly not both. Leaning for the compact for ease of CCW, but would like to hear from others.

I have the Smith & Wesson 5906 (3rd gen) and a 669 (2nd gen) 9mm. I'm very familiar with the 6906 as well. the 6906 is the 3rd gen of my 669.
6906 is awesome for CC carry, the 5906 is a bit big, but with practice can be carried easily enough with a very good quality CC holster.

I assume you're looking at buying one of the pistols from CDNN.com
These are both 3rd generation S&W Pistols. The 5906 is considered the finest Semi-auto pistol S&W ever produced. It was the #1 choice of Police departments in the country, until S&W changed their main lineup to the M&P pistols. The 3rd gens have the best technology and extremely good production history thru the entire lineup. All S&W 3rd gen pistols have 4 digits in there model number
The 5906 has a 4" barrel, 15 round double stack mag and all Stainless construction. The 6906 has a 3.5" barrel, a 13 round double stack mag, and an aluminum frame. There is a huge difference in weight between these two pistols.
The 5906 weighs close to 1/2 lb more then the 6906, but the advantage is that it really absorbs recoil, and has very little muzzle flip because of the extra weight.
I bought mine for $299 from CDNN and it's in excellent condition. If you choose to buy the $379 pistols they will probably llook like new guns.
These are all Police Trade-ins. LEO trade-ins are "Often carried and seldom shot." IMHO you won't go wrong buying any of these pistols. Both of these pistols are designed to accurately fire 124 Gr FMJ or PD ammo (Police loads). 115 gr and 135 gr will not hit to the same POA/POI.

If I remember correctly you'll need your FFL dealer to buy it for you from CDNN. CDNN doesn't sell guns directly to retail customers last I knew. They're advertisements and e-mail flyers never indicate that, but it's got to go thru an FFL any way. Fortunatly for me, my FFL dealer doesn't charge but $10 for a transfer, and he'll let me buy thru him at cost, with no markup.

Regards,
Gearchecker

I have a few of the 5906 and one 6906. I really like the 6906 a lot more and wish I had more of them. I got a couple of the $299 5906 units from CDNN and they shoot fine, but show a fair amount of wear and tear. The 6906 I got was a lot more but it was LNIB condition.

I was able to get better groups from the 6906 that one 5906 a couple months ago when i tried for accuracy. They shoot very well for the size. None has ever failed to perform with a mixed bag of ammo.

Based on your post get the 6906, they are a great gun if you like metal over plastic.

I assume you're looking at buying one of the pistols from CDNN.com
These are both 3rd generation S&W Pistols. The 5906 is considered the finest Semi-auto pistol S&W ever produced. It was the #1 choice of Police departments in the country, until S&W changed their main lineup to the M&P pistols. The 3rd gens have the best technology and extremely good production history thru the entire lineup. All S&W 3rd gen pistols have 4 digits in there model number
The 5906 has a 4" barrel, 15 round double stack mag and all Stainless construction. The 6906 has a 3.5" barrel, a 13 round double stack mag, and an aluminum frame. There is a huge difference in weight between these two pistols.
The 5906 weighs close to 1/2 lb more then the 6906, but the advantage is that it really absorbs recoil, and has very little muzzle flip because of the extra weight.
I bought mine for $299 from CDNN and it's in excellent condition. If you choose to buy the $379 pistols they will probably llook like new guns.
These are all Police Trade-ins. LEO trade-ins are "Often carried and seldom shot."

I don't think they have the $379 version you mention now. Or they didn't when I called them a few times this year. They just had the "good" ones when I picked up a few and they show wear, plus have a fair amount of slide to frame wiggle. Though my "new" 6906 has a little wiggle as well so i'm sure some is normal. The ones that I got from CDNN show plenty of use and abuse. Lots of stratches and dings to be honest.

Wow, didn't even know about CDNN until this thread, thank you very much for that information! I will probably go with the 6906 over the full-size for the CC ability.

The $379 pistols are new this past week. They must have gotten a really good deal on theses LEO turns.
It's a pretty big gap in price from what they've been selling them at, so there must be quite an improvement in quality.
I just did a quick download of their catalog and the $379 pistols aren't in there. I got the notification of the new pistols in an e-mail last Saturday. If anybody here got the same e-mail can they open up the ad and then post the link?

If you're looking to conceal carry, the 6906 is a much better choice.
The 5906 I bought from them for $299 places 1-1.5" groups at 15 yards. The 6906 should easily place the same groupings.
Very impressive for a $300 pistol.

I just called CDNN. He said they just got in the nicer 5906 ( $339) and 6906 ($369) units but didn't seem to be very clear on how nice they are. I almost think a guy is better off with the local market or gunbroker as you just don't know how nice these are going be be when they show up. If you figure shipping and FFL fee you are over $400 of a 6906 that may or may not be nice.

Wish they posted some pictures or could give a guy details.

OP! Can you order one and posts pics!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads