Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!
  2. We're giving away over $1,000 in prizes this month in the Northwest Firearms Winter Giveaway!
    Dismiss Notice

Smith Wesson frame size rant

Discussion in 'Handgun Discussion' started by gtivan, Mar 23, 2012.

1. gtivan

gtivan Salem Member

I love the N frame smiths. Fit my hand great. The K frame is okay but a bit small.

So my rant, I want a smith in 22 calibre in a N frame........ But they never made them. Idiots.

2. motoman98

motoman98 Gresham, OR Active Member

The "L" frame is perfect.

3. gtivan

gtivan Salem Member

I have shot some "L" Frames. It was okay. My preference is for 50 years before the L frame came out.

And they still don't make a 22 in the L frame.....

4. MountainBear

MountainBear Sweet Home, OR Well-Known Member

With enough time and money, anything is possible...

Steel barrel liner, cylinder liner. A bit of machining on the hammer and firing pin system to convert to rimfire, some stiff springs. Voila! A Model 28 Highway Patrolman in .22LR or Mag.

5. motoman98

motoman98 Gresham, OR Active Member

I've had my ss L framed 357 for 24yrs. How old a pistol did you really want?

6. gtivan

gtivan Salem Member

My preference for smiths is the 50"s 4 screw variety. I do have some older and younger, but they are my favorite. I was off on the L frame start date.

I would pay for the liner inserts on a N frame. But the cost of converting centerfire to rimfire and finding the right gunsmith puts it on the back burner.

May have to break down and look for a Colt Trooper.

7. rick

rick Close to Corvallis, Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

How about an N-sized grip on a K frame?

8. MountainBear

MountainBear Sweet Home, OR Well-Known Member

The best option would probably be Hamilton Bowen. I assume the cost to convert it would be at least 1000$...

9. mat33

mat33 Portland, OR Active Member

Taurus recently started selling a full size DA that's 22mag/22lr convertible. Sounds like you want a S&W though. Don't worry. If it takes off they'll copy it just like the copied the Judge. In the mean time, I'd try putting a bigger grip on it like Rick suggested.