JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
just curious if this ar-15 is just as good as bushmaster,and some of the other brands out ther.....I curentley have a ak-47 and want to keep it,but also would like a more accurate rifle..I have seen some of these rifles going in the $550-650 range...Or was thinking about getting the bushmaster m-4 flattop,but these usually run in the $800-1000 range...thanks for the advice in advance

chris

Well, this is my first post on here, so take this for what it's worth.

S&W's are better than Bushmaster.
Both are ok, but nothing special. Rock River is kinda in the same ball park.
BCM and CMMG are probably the best bang for the buck.
LMT, Daniel Defense, Colt have some great models for moderate cost.
Noveske, Knights, LMT, and Daniel Defense have top end stuff that's really cream of the crop.
Avoid DPMS, Olympic, Armalite, Stag, and other cheapies.
They'll all be fun, there's just a big difference in quality and reliability.

BTW, I'm in love with my LMT. I don't just love it, I'm in love with it! Haha!

Good luck with whatever choice you make.

I have friends with the s&w and they are good guns. My bro-in-law shoots a bushmaster and it is fine, never a problem.
Don't spend close to $1000.00 for a bushie, you can get a colt 6920 for right around $1000.00. If you're gonna spend a grand look for a colt IMO.
I have a rock river lower/BCM upper and it is great for the money.
Another way to go, buy a plum crazy lower for very low $$$$ then get the upper of your choice. Just a thought.

thanks for all the good comments-sugestions...the only thing im seeing as being a cheaper way for the s&w is it has no dust cover or forward assist.... no biggies as long as i keep it clean

Well, this is my first post on here, so take this for what it's worth.

S&W's are better than Bushmaster.
Both are ok, but nothing special. Rock River is kinda in the same ball park.
BCM and CMMG are probably the best bang for the buck.
LMT, Daniel Defense, Colt have some great models for moderate cost.
Noveske, Knights, LMT, and Daniel Defense have top end stuff that's really cream of the crop.
Avoid DPMS, Olympic, Armalite, Stag, and other cheapies.
They'll all be fun, there's just a big difference in quality and reliability.

BTW, I'm in love with my LMT. I don't just love it, I'm in love with it! Haha!

Good luck with whatever choice you make.

You need to work on that list. It's a little bassacwards.

Just what makes S&W better than Bushmaster?

What makes LMT better than ArmaLite?

Is it just the flavor of the koolaid or is there an actual difference in the materials used in building them?

smith&wesson ar-15s

just curious if this ar-15 is just as good as bushmaster,and some of the other brands out ther.....I curentley have a ak-47 and want to keep it,but also would like a more accurate rifle..I have seen some of these rifles going in the $550-650 range...Or was thinking about getting the bushmaster m-4 flattop,but these usually run in the $800-1000 range...thanks for the advice in advance

chris

The S&W keeps cost down by eliminating the dust cover and FA. If you don't care about that, and many don't, it's really a none issue. Almost all manufacturers use 7075 upper and lowers, similar LPK's and furniture. You pay more for 4150 cmv vs 4140 steel barrels. You pay more for C158 bolts, quality butt stocks, two stage triggers. A lot of people place a lot of importance on meeting the "milspec" and that's fine. The milspec is for a full auto weapon, the AR is a semi auto weapon, does it really need to meet those specs for the same reliability?

Pick the roll mark you like and shoot away. AR reliability is more about proper maintenance, good ammo and mags than brand.

You need to work on that list. It's a little bassacwards.

Just what makes S&W better than Bushmaster?

What makes LMT better than ArmaLite?

Is it just the flavor of the koolaid or is there an actual difference in the materials used in building them?

The S&W keeps cost down by eliminating the dust cover and FA. If you don't care about that, and many don't, it's really a none issue. Almost all manufacturers use 7075 upper and lowers, similar LPK's and furniture. You pay more for 4150 cmv vs 4140 steel barrels. You pay more for C158 bolts, quality butt stocks, two stage triggers. A lot of people place a lot of importance on meeting the "milspec" and that's fine. The milspec is for a full auto weapon, the AR is a semi auto weapon, does it really need to meet those specs for the same reliability?

Pick the roll mark you like and shoot away. AR reliability is more about proper maintenance, good ammo and mags than brand.

wow thanks for all the info guys....you gave me a lot to think about...I only shoot brass cased ammo (the steel is for commie guns) so cleaning wont be a issue.

I am also no expert, I purchased a S&W MP15 Sport in may as my first AR. I initially concidered a build-up to keep cost down but found the S&W to have most of the essentials for a good price. You get a 5.56 chamber, correctly staked gas key, complete M4 feed ramps, mag tested bolt, mil spec buffer tube, F type FSB, T marked upper with A2 removable rear sight, shrouded firing pin, 1:8 barrel (good for 55gn and up), P-Mag magazine. The barrel is not chrome lined, but doubt this will be an issue for me. If I shoot it out I can replace it. The rifle is just at 35 inch with the stock collapsed.
I have over 900 rounds through it with no feed or fire issues what so ever. I have been running American Eagle 55gn throughout. I am now getting into reloading so may get into some issues. The rifle is acceptably accurate with factory ammo. I get ~1/2 inch 3 shot group at 50 yards with iron sights. I have done 4 practicle rifle matches and works good out to 200 yards with irons.
I have updated the furniture with MagPul and changed out the front sight post, otherwise it is stock. For my use I do not need a eject port cover, forward assist or removable trigger lower gaurd.

Whichever one you decide on go out and use it, alot. Then you can start planning on what you want on the next one.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top