JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Would any of you put an Smith sd9/40ve in a bug out bag or some kind of shtf bag just to have a cheap gun that works? I thought about and I have never shot one so just curious to see what y'all's thought would be. For 290 seems like a cheap enough price to stash somewhere and forget it tell you need to use it.

(I took the image from the internet)
wm_7825084.jpg

Would any of you put an Smith sd9/40ve in a bug out bag or some kind of shtf bag just to have a cheap gun that works? I thought about and I have never shot one so just curious to see what y'all's thought would be. For 290 seems like a cheap enough price to stash somewhere and forget it tell you need to use it.

View attachment 336530

If you don't have it yet I'd personally go with the more commonly available 9mm. Finding a cheap but serviceable nine mil is easy. But that's me...you do what makes you feel right.

I've owned an SD40VE, it's not a bad gun, but as I recall, magazines were a bit expensive and somewhat difficult to come by.

For under $300, I'd be more inclined to go with the SCCY CPX-2 over the SD9VE - smaller, and I think, shoots better - plus it has a lifetime warranty.

Another option you might consider is to get a used or police trade Glock or M&P - police trade/used M&P's can be had under $350 if you look around - Glocks for under $400. Here is an M&P 40 police trade that comes with 3 mags at Bud's for $319 - I have a police trade M&P 40 as my bedside gun - well worth it: Used S&W M&P40 NS 3 mags Detroit PD Marked

I haven't been there, but I understand Keith's in Gresham has a nice selection of police trade/used guns available for some decent prices.

Had an SD9VE. Key word is "Had". But for the money, it's reliable and better than nothing. Plus, you won't miss it if it gets lost/stolen.

Plus, you won't miss it if it gets lost/stolen.
and that was my point. I had forgotten about the used m&p and Glocks but if I got those I'd want to use them more because I like them more lol. But the sd9ve is something I know would work in a pinch and I wouldn't feel bad (as much)if I lost it or something. I carry an m&p9c or my Glock 43 but this is like a gun I can leave in a backpack or a storage container and know it's there for whatever reason I would need it for.

The trigger can be lightened with an Apex kit. And they are reliable. I would throw one in the spare tire hole of my car as a SHTF gun.

One more thing I'd mention for the SD9VE/SD40VE - I found the grip to be very slippery in my hand with even the least bit of sweat, such as on a hot day. If you get one, I would advise adding something for more grip, like the Talon grips or a Pachmayr sleeve.

I have an SD40VE and find it fine enough. If I were to do it again, I MIGHT do the 9mm instead, but, then again, maybe not. Grips were improved in 2016 and I did not feel much difference between the new grips and the talon rubber grips.

View attachment 336530

No.
I would pick a really good gun to put in a bug out bag, when I needed it.
Why set yourself up for failure. With a sub-par gun? When you need reliability most?

Or are you suggesting that the gun in your bag be cheep. So you don't need to worry about keeping track of it. Or getting it stolen? o_O

Check out the EAA sar in 9mm. Great gun for the same price on CDNN. I shot an SD9, and it worked fine though. It is glock clone. S&W was sued due to the similarities in the design.

I would definitely keep one as a bug out gun, and I would keep it in .40 S&W.

The #1 lesson learned from my recollections of the last ammo shortage, most every caliber of handgun ammo was out of stock, just about everywhere you went, except for .40 S&W.

It's ideal to have a variety of guns in a variety of calibers and keep a good stock of each caliber. If you could only have 1 handgun when the chips are down, I think you could do a lot worse than .40 S&W. Hornady Critical Duty would be my ammo of choice, whatever you pick, it's a very capable handgun round.

FWIW-I'm probably just being a nervous Nelly. When tempted to pick up a used PD .40, the thing that concerns me most is with a used PD .40, is an unknown round count. The higher pressures of the .40 S&W, .357 Sig and 10MM, tend to wear guns out faster than .380, 9mm, or .45ACP would. I know it's probably paranoia, but you hear about this caliber blowing up guns once in a while. I wouldn't have any such trepidation about a new sd40ve.

I have a .40 and I wouldn't trust my life on it. It's a good shooter and I keep it in the garage in the drawer with the tape measures and stuff. It's nice to know if I'm not carrying at the moment someone rolls up my driveway. I got something in arms reach till I can get to my rifle.

Since the discussion has turned to former police pistols, l'll throw my Beretta M-92F, my living room door gun, in the ring. It's super reliable and carries 17+1 rounds of 9mm justice! A big, intimidating pistol, it's perfect for my needs!

I would definitely keep one as a bug out gun, and I would keep it in .40 S&W.

The #1 lesson learned from my recollections of the last ammo shortage, most every caliber of handgun ammo was out of stock, just about everywhere you went, except for .40 S&W.

It's ideal to have a variety of guns in a variety of calibers and keep a good stock of each caliber. If you could only have 1 handgun when the chips are down, I think you could do a lot worse than .40 S&W. Hornady Critical Duty would be my ammo of choice, whatever you pick, it's a very capable handgun round.

FWIW-I'm probably just being a nervous Nelly. When tempted to pick up a used PD .40, the thing that concerns me most is with a used PD .40, is an unknown round count. The higher pressures of the .40 S&W, .357 Sig and 10MM, tend to wear guns out faster than .380, 9mm, or .45ACP would. I know it's probably paranoia, but you hear about this caliber blowing up guns once in a while. I wouldn't have any such trepidation about a new sd40ve.

Used Glocks are easy.
Just look at the impact area between the locking block and bottom of the slide for signs of wear.

That's a good indicator of the life it's lived. ;)

I had the Sigma and it was very reliable. For the same money there are better guns. I have a PD trade in Sig for a few years with no issues. I feel the same with an M&P or Glock trade in. Still those SDve should be fine.

Had the SD9, poor Sigma trigger. The Walther PPX in either caliber is way better and $10 cheaper. DAO but pretty accurate, I have both and prefer the 40.