Welcome to Northwest Firearms
Join our community, sign up for free today!

Smith guru's opinions

Reactions
Hey all i was digging around and found an old 19-7 with a forcing cone crack at 6 o'clock i have had for ages. I'm not a wheel gun guy so im not sure if its worth fixing myself or if i should list for parts or someone to do a barrel swap.

20190822_182752.jpg

Reactions: GOG
Reactions
I'd say it's worth fixing. If you can find a barrel for a reasonable price, a south shouldn't charge much to swap it.

I love k frames though.

Reactions
If you don't dig it, put it up for sale discounted appropriately. Try the S&W forum for best exposure to real fans (who also probably have the fix-it skills and parts). It looks like too nice a gun to blow apart into pieces.

That gets me to wondering what caused the crack in the first place and if S&W would handle the fix... ?

Reactions
The Model 19-7 really isn't an early Gun and it was the over charged ammunition made by Super Vel that was damaging many high quality Firearms.

I'd suggest that SVT-ROY look for a Pistolsmith to replace the Barrel. The Big problem will be in finding a new Barrel. Brownells would be a place to start.

Reactions
Finding a used barrel for a reasonable price will be the challenge. Then you will need a competent gunsmith. I would expect the project to cost $300-$400

jbett98

Reactions
There's a S&W model 19 parts kit with a 2-1/2" barrel listed on GunBroker for over $225.00.
It's getting really hard to find decent barrels for these.
I would sell it as a parts gun, or if you have some attachment to it, you could buy a working model 19 and use this one for spare parts as needed.

NEW CLASSIFIED ADS

LATEST REVIEWS

• Rangemaster Gunworks
    5.00 star(s)
    I have done business with Jeff for many years,he is trustworthy and honest
    • grpolarbear
  • Rangemaster Gunworks
    5.00 star(s)
    I've known him from the beginning. I trust him completely. His prices are fair. He is technically competent in all aspects of gunsmithing and...
    • OLDMANWINTER
  • Country Line Shooting Sports
    5.00 star(s)
    If you like a good mom and pop, country store, County Line only lacks the cracker barrel and chairs to be damn near perfect. They try and for the...
    • CptPh0t0n
  • Brimstone Gunsmithing
    5.00 star(s)
    David is kind, considerate and a true professional as are the rest of his staff ! Thanks
    • LuLuBelle
  • Brimstone Gunsmithing
    5.00 star(s)
    Back in April, I had Brimstone do a Tier 1 trigger job for my 10/22 race gun build. After months of use and a handful of speed steel events, I...
    • Mister Bisley

Staff online