JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Have never owned a snubbie before, and want to change from carrying a pistol to a revolver.
At 70 don't have either the fastest reflexes or best vision anymore, so considering one with a laser.
Feedback from those who have tried either or both?

thanks!

I'd prolly get the .38 but I used to shoot PPC competition a ways back. With the right ammo, it's pretty good.. and when in doubt, a cast SWC is no slouch.
Oh, and many would include the 3" within the snubby class so it's not much different than the 2.

Smith Bodyguard .38 w/laser vs. Ruger LCR

I don't have experience with either of these however I have had "J" frame Smith revolvers with Crimson Trace laser grips in my carry mix for over 20 years. Presently have a Smith 642 with laser grips that gets carried a lot at home and for quick trips to the store. In my view lasers are great training aids. Dryfireing with a laser can be a great learning experience. Commonly carry something more potent if I'm venturing into the city. For things that go bump in the night my AR's have lights and lasers. :D

Not a fan of the cylinder release setup on the bodyguard, of the two I'd go with the LCR but would rather have (and do) a 442/642. If you don't mine a little more weight, look at the S&W 640 Pro.

I keep both my edc, Buddy, a 686 snubby, and my eyeglasses within reach at night. But if there wasn't time to put glasses on...or if they got knocked off while concealed carrying, what then? Without my glasses I can't even see the barrel of the gun when extended in shooting position, let alone the sights. I'm not talking about the barrel being fuzzy. I'm talking about it being invisible.

Buddy wears Crimson Trace grips, however. With my glasses on, at about 20 feet, the laser dot appears to be a bright dot about an inch across. Without my glasses at that distance the "dot" appears to be a big snowflake about 6 inches across, but just as easy to see and use. So the laser gives me a practical sight for inside-the-home self defense distances even without my glasses.

One reason I prefer the revolvers I prefer, however, is that I can point shoot them well, and point shooting is something I practice. By point shooting I mean aiming the gun using the entire arm lined up and aligned on the target; the gun is not aligned with the eyes. (One hand, not two.) (So if dominant eye was out of commission, it wouldn't matter. And being able to see sights or even gun barrel is irrelevant. For point shooting, I'm looking at the target, not the gun at all. I only need to see well enough to identify the target.

Another variant I practice is hip shooting, a point shooting done by extending just the forearm, with the forearm down near the waist. This is for situations in which the threat is so close that extending the gun isn't practical.

One reason why I'm such a fan of revolvers of certain types instead of semiautos is that I can point shoot the revolvers so well. I can shoot semiautos well only if I use the sights, or at least line the entire gun up with my eyes. I can't point shoot semiautos well.

Nor can I point shoot just any revolver well. The revolver has to have grips that fit my hand just right. The gun needs to weigh at least 30 oz or more. And it helps a lot if it is muzzle-heavy. Longer barrelled guns are easier to point shoot, as my hand can feel exactly where the muzzle is more easily. I can point shoot Buddy, my edc snubby well in part because the heavy underlug of the 686 gives a very muzzle heavy feel even with a 2.5 inch barrel.

Point shooting works best for me one hand and DA. So another criterion for a good revolver for point shooting is that it should have a smooth DA.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top