Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Smith and Wesson AR15: who actually makes it?

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by Spitpatch, Aug 22, 2011.

1. Spitpatch

Spitpatch Forest Grove, Oregon Well-Known Member

Smith and Wesson gas-piston carbine. Does Smith actually make this gun, from the ground up? Or, who builds it for them, who makes the barrel, etc.

2. MountainBear

MountainBear Sweet Home, OR Well-Known Member

A year or two ago, S&W moved the production of most of their AR parts in house. I would assume this would apply to their piston gun as well, but am not 100% sure. I don't know if they contract out their barrels, but would assume they do.

3. Spitpatch

Spitpatch Forest Grove, Oregon Well-Known Member

Thanks, that helps some. With a bit more time for this thread, I hope some "AR experts" will chime in.

4. DavinFelth

DavinFelth Olympia Member

http://tinyurl.com/3f7j7e2

:)

From what I read, they used to buy parts from Stag. But, it looks like it's been all in house for a few years now.

5. Burt Gummer

Burt Gummer Portland Completely Out of Ammo

Everything about it is fine except the trigger. Like a rusty barn door. A Timney fixes that issue.

6. Ampster

Ampster Looking across to Whidbey Member

As far as I remember, there are about 4 major manufacturers of AR lowers, and S&W's are manufactured and labeled (S&W) by Stag Arms... I could be wrong as that info is at least 6 years old.

7. Lloyd Braun

Lloyd Braun Vancouver Active Member

8. madcratebuilder

madcratebuilder Ardenwald, OR Well-Known Member

Five year old list.

I think S&W is doing the finish machining on the raw forgings but I don't know who is supplying the forgings. They do barrels from blanks, don't know who supplies the blanks. The lpk parts and bcg parts are probably from several different venders.

9. bshnt2015

bshnt2015 CA & WA Member

I thought CMT and Stag were the same company. I understand most of the parts were Stag, a co-worker has one, I got to look at it and I could see some Stag markings on his.

10. mjbskwim

mjbskwim Salmon,Idaho Well-Known Member

11. Iceberg

Iceberg Forest Grove Active Member

CMT is a long time mfg of AR parts & is the parent company of Stag; the father runs CMT & his son runs Stag Arms. I personally feel that they would have been way better off to spin off the retail/commercial side of the business w/ the Continental Machine & Tool (CMT) name (like LMT did). Many folks do not like the Stag company name & the silly logo even though they make many of the parts used in other rifles.