JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
This ad is no longer active. View more ads here.
Reactions
Ad Type
  1. For Sale
Price
$1000
Manufacturer
Smith & Wesson
Caliber
44 Special
City
Seattle
State
Washington
Zip Code
Smith and Wesson 44 special ctg. I know nothing about this revolver, I am posting for a friend. I believe it was inherited. I will send you contact information if you're interested. See pictures. Price is $1000 and you will have to negotiate specifics with him.

2686E6CE-CFEC-49C7-A245-B0A111DADC25.jpeg CC3984C0-C88E-40DA-A5CE-460B5996C0BD.jpeg D7F2B193-690E-47C0-9CCD-D7CE2C0A7BD4.jpeg 315529F7-AF7F-4A3F-A3BA-2BD3517EAA3D.jpeg DF354CB6-C63A-416A-BF9B-5A236A58E6ED.jpeg EC60F751-1477-4071-AE31-B573503414BA.jpeg

1. I agree to the classified rules and terms of service
If I am correct it looks like a M24 3" barrel. You can check inside of crane.
That would be my guess. It is a M24-2 (discontinued in 1967) or possibly later model. They was reintroduced as the M24-3 in 1983 without the pinned barrel. The thing is I do not beleive any 3" were produced back then and looking at the close up pic of the front sight shows a double pin job, this beauty use to have a longer barrel that has been cut down, which will make you cry if it is a -1. OP open the cyliner and look at the frame for exact model number, my guess is the serial # starts with an "S".

Last Edited:
It's a five screw with chamfered edges on the cylinder, so it's a pre 24-
Grips look like original diamonds- I can't tell if the barrel has been cut down, the inscription looks slightly off centre, so it might have been a 4", though there were apparently 3 1/2" versions available at customer request. I don't know that the front sight with the red insert is original, but it's still a lovely example- worth the asking.

Last Edited:
That would be my guess. It is a M24-2 (discontinued in 1967) or possibly later model. They was reintroduced as the M24-3 in 1983 without the pinned barrel. The thing is I do not believe any 3" were produced back then and looking at the close up pic of the front sight shows a double pin job, this beauty use to have a longer barrel that has been cut down, which will make you cry if it is a -1. OP open the cylinder and look at the frame for exact model number, my guess is the serial # starts with an "S".
The problem with it being cut down is the roll marks are under the front sight. It looks to be pinned, but the cylinder is not recessed. I too would like to see what dash it is and the first part of the ser. num.

The problem with it being cut down is the roll marks are under the front sight. It looks to be pinned, but the cylinder is not recessed. I too would like to see what dash it is and the first part of the ser. num.

Reccesses where done on magnums and rimfire, I do not believe any M24 had recessed chambers

You are probably right. I can't remember if my early 24 had the recesses like my early 29 did. also I believe the barrel was cut down because look at the under lug. It looks to rounded to be factory. I believe that it has been worked on. Still want to see the dash and ser. num.

There shouldn't be a dash-or a number - it's a 5 screw. The serial number is on the butt and underneath the ejector rod - not on the crane on these early models.

5th screw ( number 4 on front of trigger guard)

IMG_0465.jpg

serial on butt
IMG_0466 2.jpg

Serial under ejector rod

IMG_0467 2.jpg

assembly number on crane - no model number nor serial

IMG_0469 2.jpg

recessed charging holes on magnum revolvers and non recessed on non magnum on "pre" N frames..

IMG_0470 2.jpg

the ejector shroud/underlug on these models was more rounded than later numbered model -s it's correct.

This is my lettered 3 1/2 " pre 27- Note that the roll mark on the barrel is also not perfectly centered. That's why I'm not sure the barrel is cut down on the OP's ( sorry to clutter your thread OP !)- The only thing that stood out were the prominent pins and red insert suggesting that the front sight has maybe been changed-

IMG_0472.jpg

Last Edited:

Is that one on the left a .38-44?

This is my lettered 3 1/2 " pre 27- Note that the roll mark on the barrel is also not perfectly centered. That's why I'm not sure the barrel is cut down on the OP's ( sorry to clutter your thread OP !)- The only thing that stood out were the prominent pins and red insert suggesting that the front sight has maybe been changed-

The reason I'm thinking is cut down is the front sight ramp is not integral to the barrel and as I mentioned above I don't believe the M24 came in that tube length back then. But now sure, I've never owned any of them and working from memory on what I've read.

( sorry to clutter your thread OP !)-

Oh hell, he don't care, we're helping him ID this unit and besides that's want he gets for post something this awesome and not knowing what it is. :p

1) yes 6 1/2"
2) Me neither, but S&W used to do a lot of customer requests so who knows ?
3) I hope so...:)

Its a nice looking piece. Its worth getting a letter for. If it letters as it sits you are underpriced. The muzzle looks a little off (over rounded) so my assessment is that it was cut down from a longer length.

My reference says 1953-54 production. Could be worth more. Recommend a factory letter to confirm barrel length. Barrel lengths were 4,5,5 1/2 and 6 1/2 inches.
If 3 1/2", barrel probably cut. Are Magna grips serialized to the gun?
In any case, everything else matches for "Model of 1950 .44 Target".
GLWS!
PS mine is 1955 production, 146xxx

Do you have any pics of the muzzle ?
is there a tag saying anything on the end of that string on the trigger guard ?

Last Edited:
My reference says 1953-54 production. Could be worth more. Recommend a factory letter to confirm barrel length. Barrel lengths were 4,5,5 1/2 and 6 1/2 inches.
If 3 1/2", barrel probably cut. Are Magna grips serialized to the gun?
In any case, everything else matches for "Model of 1950 .44 Target".
GLWS!
PS mine is 1955 production, 146xxx
For my small part, I enter these comments into the record:

Yes, the grips, if original on the handgun from the factory, should be numbered to the firearm, and may also have a letter indicating frame size. This was seen on 'J' & 'K' frame revolvers [I can not swear to 'N' frame] pre-1960 because they were fitted to the grip frame.

As to a cut down barrel, or not, it does not *look* like a cut barrel to me, however:

We need to see a photo of the muzzle, so the juncture of the front sight ramp and barrel can be seen.
I cannot tell from the side view images about those two pins, it could simply be the way the ramp was milled [by whom?] in order for the red insert sight blade to be installed, but [WARNING- Opening Another Can-O-Worms!], either S&W, or a custom Smith, would have/should have simply cut the original sight blade for the red insert... ?

Status
This ad is no longer active. View more ads here.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top