JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am helping my lady find a concealed carry pistol. it seems that quality 9mm DA/SA are being overshadowed by the striker fire designs. while searching the net, I ran across the Smith 3913. It seems to get good reviews She is wants to keep price in the $400-$500 range. Does anyone have an opinion on this pistol for a lady or other similarly functioning guns out there? I like this design for her because it is safe when loaded, not complicated controls or hammer to cock for someone who doesn't shoot a lot, nice size with decent mag capacity. Will a smaller woman be able to pull the trigger OK in DA? I see that they made a lady smith model, but it appears that the only difference is in the taper in the front of the frame. Another option may be the CZ RAMI

Best answer - go to the next gun show or big gun store and have her hold and bring up to aim every gun she can touch - it will be pretty apparent which she prefers quickly.

Is the 3913 a double stack commander size gun? If so it may be to wide for her hands.

I've had a few guns, shot a lot of others and fondled most firearms at one point or time.

My CC is a SCCY CPX-2 (the -1 has a safety).

$230ish new
Stainless slide and Barrel
Polymer lower frame
Florida Made
Lifetime no questions warranty
Comes in a handful of color options.

It's been extremely reliable and it's just over $200 new. They should NOT be compared to a hi-point or other cheaply made gun. The DA trigger is smooth enough to hit target well beyond the 7yard standard.

And Yes, I do have $600+ handguns that are as reliable, but I'd rather the daily rigors of life get taken out on the cheapest quality gun I would trust my life too. 800+ rounds now and only one stove pipe malfunction- which is why we train to clear and keep shooting.

I was thinking a gal who shoots a lot and is proficient would have a pretty good idea what she would and would not want, and why.

That being said, my experience with newer female shooters is it is best to start small and build confidence and for this I have always used a small .22 handgun like the P22 and Ruger 22/45. Point being is she need a positive experience in order to have a desire to practice, practice, practice. And again, in my experience this equates to lower muzzle report and lower recoil so the subconscious flinch takes longer to kick in = more enjoyable range time and increased positive feedback. Once this foundation is in place, carrying and practicing with a larger caliber will a natural transition.

At this point, my wife has reached a point where she is confident with her Glock42, but not so much with the Glock22 which is fine. The G42 carried with confidence is better than the G22 left at home.

My $0.02 :)

I have had a 3913 since 1989. Reliable, single stack, stainless and aluminum construction. The lady smith version had different color grips and a slightly different frame/slide contour, but same gun.

I hadn't heard of SCCY. Seems like a good value but I think a DA/SA would be easier to fire and more accurate. I have a range of pistols that we will fire tomorrow. Just no center fire SA compact types. Good advice on starting with the .22. She has never fired a pistol, so it will be fun.

The 3913 is a single stack gun, and a great gun! My gal has and carried the 6906, same 9mm caliber but it's a double stack, high capacity version. Of the 3913.

It has been her EDC for 10 yrs until recently. .... the BEST feature of this generation of guns is the mag disconnect safety, some people like then some don't.

She likes the fact if she were to lose her gun in a struggle she can hit the mag release and even with a round in the chamber the fun WILL NOT FIRE!

Best advice I can give you about your wife is make sure she takes a weapon retention course. It may save her life.

Good luck

As I said she retired the 6906 after 10 yrs for something lighter.

Her choice was the SIG 938, and with a CTC laser. She can now shoot around corners without exposing her self any more that she has to.

It actually is complicated thanks to the Walther style safety which is not intuitive at all to operate and is prone to inadvertent activation during slide racking. They are pretty heavy compared to more modern pistols. DA/SA is one of the more difficult trigger styles to master for both men and women. I am not a fan of mag disconnect safeties either. Dedicated training will makeup for most of these shortcomings but why?

I'd suggest a S&W Shield w/o a manual safety if you are looking for a simple inexpensive single stack 9mm pistol for CCW.
I have fired the m&p's but not the shield. S&W calls it striker fired where they don't for standard size M&P pistols. Is the shield of same design? I don't want a full time DA like my LCP.

I am helping my lady find a concealed carry pistol. it seems that quality 9mm DA/SA are being overshadowed by the striker fire designs. while searching the net, I ran across the Smith 3913. It seems to get good reviews She is wants to keep price in the $400-$500 range. Does anyone have an opinion on this pistol for a lady or other similarly functioning guns out there? I like this design for her because it is safe when loaded, not complicated controls or hammer to cock for someone who doesn't shoot a lot, nice size with decent mag capacity. Will a smaller woman be able to pull the trigger OK in DA? I see that they made a lady smith model, but it appears that the only difference is in the taper in the front of the frame. Another option may be the CZ RAMI

Go ahead and take your Gal to an indoor range and let her rent various types guns and calibers. Let her make the final choice.

When my Gal wanted a lighter CCW this is what we did , I drove her to Baron's Den in Eugene and let her do as she pleased

In the end she chose the SIG 938... more $$ then what your Gal wants to spend. But it may open her eyes to what's out there.

She may surprise you and want something totally different than what all here have suggested, in the end it's her defending Herself with Her CHOICE.

Why go with that old pistol?

For $400-500 you have TONS of options.
I agree with other responses, take her to a shop or gun show and have her pick up, rack, fire, essentially operate the firearm in every manor so she knows she can, physically. Most women avoid their newly purchased pistols because they become frustrated they cannot operate them. My Ex got that way.

Its better to have HER pick it out.
I would just stick with a 9mm if it'll be her CC. Plenty of different defensive loads, common plinking ammo and a soft recoil.
There are also many many 9mm options firearms wise.

Well we went to the range today and shot a variety of DA, SA and striker type pistols. She started with my walther p22 and shot it well. She was least accurate with the DA pistols and of course the short LCP. She did well with the XDm 9, but felt better with the M&P shield. Best accuracy came from my Sig Nightmare 1911 but not too practical for carry :). Thanks for all your input. My club has a monthly women's pistol course that she w

I have owned several S&W 3913s. In fact I still have two of them. It's a hammer fired, single stack, 9mm handgun (8+1 capacity). IMHO, it's all metal construction (weight) makes it a better range pistol than a CCW. It's considered by many to be dated by today's standard of plastic 9mms. The trigger pul is DA/SA. If you're transitioning from a revolver, the DA will feel familiar. It does have a slide mounted safety. Though because it has a DA trigger, I've never felt the real need to engage it while going CCW. Hey, a revolver doesn't have a safety.

I carried mine "off duty" for awhile. It was better than carrying around my S&W 5906 (which I used as an on duty handgun). That being said, my S&W M60 was even lighter, though it had less rounds.

IMHO, today you could pick up a nice (better?) 9mm CCW weapon than the S&W 3913. But, you'll have to make up your mind. Good for the range or good for CCW? So, speaking of a 9mm.....

I currently CCW with a Diamondback 9 (6+1 capacity). It's light, small and the recoil is snappy. The weight doesn't seem to pull my pants down, like other heavier pistols.

Anyway, a slightly larger alternative could be a Taurus slim 9 (aka: 709). It has one more round than the Diamondback and is IMHO a better range pistol than the Diamondback 9mm. Recoil, due to it's size and weight, is more manageable. And although it's just slightly larger, it could also be used as a CCW pistol.

BUT......all that being said.......let your wife choose.

Aloha, Mark

Well we went to the range today and shot a variety of DA, SA and striker type pistols. She started with my walther p22 and shot it well. She was least accurate with the DA pistols and of course the short LCP. She did well with the XDm 9, but felt better with the M&P shield. Best accuracy came from my Sig Nightmare 1911 but not too practical for carry :). Thanks for all your input. My club has a monthly women's pistol course that she w
Glad to hear ya took her to do that. Happy wife, happy life.

Funny for over 20yrs , when we shot together she was always shooting one of the 1911's after her time was done working will her 6906.

So it really wasn't a surprise when she retired it after really carrying for more then 10yrs for the SIG 938.

Guess she was finally comfortable going Cocked and Locked full time, she has Always been accurate and loved the 1911 platform.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top