JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I don't know why labeling something "smart" gives people so much confidence in technology.

How often does typical software need to be updated to fix unanticipated issues?

From the report:

"• Adversarial compromise of technology -
It should be assumed that as soon as law enforcement agencies deploy user-authorization firearms, criminals will try to find ways to defeat the technology. It is crucial that the technology cannot be easily compromised even when a suspect has full knowledge of how the system operates. In addition, the technology should be protected against computer hackers and others who might try to disrupt the electronic systems that allow the devices to operate."

No s**t, Sherlock.

Smart gun technology is a dead end for preventing theft or use after theft or loss.

Devices using fingerprint recognition cannot be used by those of us without fingerprints. I cannot even use luggage lockers in some airports because I do not have fingerprints.

All smart guns use a sensing device to turn on a solenoid or motor to move a mechanical link into place to either enable or disable the firearm. For a bright child or thief to use the firearm all that is necessary is to remove or destroy the sensing device and permanently fix the mechanical link into position to enable the firearm.

After the first "smart" gun has been compromised I expect instructions will be posted all over the internet.

I have a concern that smart guns would encourage negligence as the owner might have too much confidence in the "smart" and neglect securing the firearm. I can imagine a mother leaving the firearm on a dresser feeling it is safe as it cannot be used without the enabling ring or bracelet. The one that young Jennie has just found in the jewelry box on the dresser next to the firearm.

Like many here have already stated , I can't count the number of times some electronic dodad has failed to work as intended.
Be it a electric door lock , window , phone , computer , remote control etc ...
I could never trust a electric device on a firearm , that might be needed to save my life.

If you want firearm safety , then one must be taught safe handling , shooting and storage practices.
All of the above can be accomplished without an electric device.
Finger off trigger until you are ready to shoot.
Always be aware of where your muzzle is pointing.
Know your backstop or where that bullet will go if you have a pass through or a miss.
Always check to see if the gun is loaded and have a safe , secure storage area.
Simple easy and no batteries required.
Andy

Last Edited:
I would NEVER trust my life to an electronic device.
(I know, i know, sometimes you have to, like when you're on a commercial flight or something, but when I am in control of the situation I always go analog... Map and compass instead of gps, etc...)
Every piece of electronic equipment I've ever had has failed at some point, and are much harder or impossible to repair on my own, unlike mechanical devices, which I can usually jury rig.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top