JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Finished a KISS rifle and I'm not going to go with any sort of QD mount for a can. This guy will stay loud.

I'm looking for smaller muzzle devices. I'm leaning towards flash hider over brake.

Don't want to add any length to this one. I'm used to SBRs these days and I haven't really given my 16"+ ARs much love, so adding a long muzzle device just didn't seem like a good idea anymore.

Recommendations welcome!

Reno

Brake definitely not needed on an AR-15, so a flash hider is my choice on the platform as well. I'm a fan of the Smith Vortex for it's effectiveness, but it's not exactly compact. The newer Arc Helix designs are supposed to prevent ringing, but I don't notice it on my older straight bladed ones.

This one is their most compact model:

A2 birdcage does the trick.
The A2 Birdcage gets a bad rap for no reason that I can tell. It has really quite good flash suppression, it doesn't "ping" like a lot of pronged flash hiders, and it allows for prone firing without kicking up a ton of dirt and debris due to being closed at the bottom.

I suppose it's just not tactical enough anymore, being so old :p

The only way to have a muzzle "device" and not add any length is to use a thread protector. That said, dead air makes a micro brake so you could still have a short device and use a suppressor. Granted, it's not what you asked for, though it is an option. In general I'm very satisfied with the boring A2 and they're dirt cheap, small and effective. Probably can't do much better

The A2 Birdcage gets a bad rap for no reason that I can tell. It has really quite good flash suppression, it doesn't "ping" like a lot of pronged flash hiders, and it allows for prone firing without kicking up a ton of dirt and debris due to being closed at the bottom.

I think of the A2 in a positive way... cheap, short-ish, does the job...

A2's are just fine, but other flash hiders do a more complete job. It just depends on how much flash is OK for the application.

A2 birdcage does the trick.
A2 is always a solid choice. But a can is fun as well.
0E52A063-E0D2-434E-A42C-F4D6B14FE91E.jpeg F98BFEEA-73D0-44BA-95A1-3FCA11B16541.jpeg

A2's are just fine, but other flash hiders do a more complete job. It just depends on how much flash is OK for the application.
I agree. Nothing wrong with the A2. Yet if I'm adding any length, it will be something that doesn't need to be timed
A2 is always a solid choice. But a can is fun as well.
View attachment 1178637View attachment 1178638
Saw one of those at bimart the other day. Stared long and hard trying to will myself to buy it.

@Reno i know you said no can, but why not get the best of both worlds and get one of the rearden flash hiders. Reasonably priced, no timing and leaves the door open if you choose to use a can since I know you already run plan b.

Finished a KISS rifle and I'm not going to go with any sort of QD mount for a can. This guy will stay loud.

I'm looking for smaller muzzle devices. I'm leaning towards flash hider over brake.

Don't want to add any length to this one. I'm used to SBRs these days and I haven't really given my 16"+ ARs much love, so adding a long muzzle device just didn't seem like a good idea anymore.

Recommendations welcome!

Reno
Faxon makes barrels with integrated flash hiders.

@Reno i know you said no can, but why not get the best of both worlds and get one of the rearden flash hiders. Reasonably priced, no timing and leaves the door open if you choose to use a can since I know you already run plan b.
Yep, got a few of those. Great muzzle devices.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top