JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I was making deliveries out between Carson, NV and Dayton, NV yesterday and dispatch called me for a special delivery and I pulled over in Moundhouse, NV. I was waiting for them to call me back and had this weird familar feeling. Then I realized that about a block down the street there was a shot tower and a big sign that said, "West Coast Shot". I've been using West Coast shot for probably 30 years and didn't know they were located in Moundhouse. Kinda cool. Sort of a happy accident. The shot tower is that big tower behind the telephone poles and that small building in the pic. If you look closely you can see a green sign with white letters. Sorry not the best pic I was busy:confused:.

20210303_124118_HDR.jpg

20210303_124104_HDR.jpg

Last Edited:
Thanks on the share, learned something too!

From the pic caption:

Shot Tower

The shot tower at West Coast Shot in Mound House. Droplets of molten lead are dropped from the very top, and during freefall form into nearly perfect spheres. At the bottom they land in a pool of water and cool. The shot then is used in shotgun shells.

Thanks on the share, learned something too!

From the pic caption:

Shot Tower

The shot tower at West Coast Shot in Mound House. Droplets of molten lead are dropped from the very top, and during freefall form into nearly perfect spheres. At the bottom they land in a pool of water and cool. The shot then is used in shotgun shells.
Fascinating right? I remember reading years ago that the distance makes the shot rounder

I feel sorry for the guy that has to carry those lead bars up that ladder. The propane tanks too. Seriously, It would be interesting to know how they get the lead up there. I'm assuming it has to do with one of the center pipes with the lead melted at the top. They also mass produce shot differently now (since the 60's?)

Super cool. I didn't think there were many of them this far west. There are a lot more back East since the technology is older and those areas were more populated. Most of the ones I've seen are brick. I've had to go to Baltimore for conferences a few times (btw, Fort McHenry is really cool if you're out that way). This is the Phoenix shot tower in Baltimore:

Phoenix_Shot_Tower.jpg

Edit: Not my pic.

Edit 2: Wikipedia has some interesting little tidbits about tower height, size, and other parts of the process: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shot_tower

I feel sorry for the guy that has to carry those lead bars up that ladder. The propane tanks too. Seriously, It would be interesting to know how they get the lead up there. I'm assuming it has to do with one of the center pipes with the lead melted at the top. They also mass produce shot differently now (since the 60's?)
That contraption under the awning looks like it might be a lift.. rails going up up suggest it might be.

Super cool. I didn't think there were many of them this far west. There are a lot more back East since the technology is older and those areas were more populated. Most of the ones I've seen are brick. I've had to go to Baltimore for conferences a few times (btw, Fort McHenry is really cool if you're out that way). This is the Phoenix shot tower in Baltimore:

View attachment 838317

Edit: Not my pic.

Edit 2: Wikipedia has some interesting little tidbits about tower height, size, and other parts of the process: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shot_tower
Seems like I read somewhere way back that the tower in Moundhouse is the only operating one in the west but I'm foggy on where I read that.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top