JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I've used small rifle primers in empty 9mm cases to check for ignition reliabilty after putting lighter striker pin springs in my Glock pistol. I dont use them in my reloads. Rifle primers are said to be harder than pistol primers .

The answer is a resounding maybe, they will physically fit but have a stronger cup so you might get unreliable ignition. Also they are "hotter" than regular pistol primers and maybe even hotter than smalll pistol magnums. You'll want to work up new loads.

You are good to go. The cups of some rifle primers are harder to facilitate higher pressures. The brisance or spark my be longer to facilitate the higher volume of rifle cases.

To begin reduce your load by .2 grains and check for pressure signs and crono if possible.

I have used SRP and SMP"S in 9mm with little to no change in velocity or signs of excessive pressure.

Put the word out locally. You will find someone that will gladly make a trade SPP's for SRP's. I know I would. PM if a trade is welcome!

As a certificated reloading instructor I must advise to only use component manufacturers recommended load data!

Smiles,

You are good to go. The cups of some rifle primers are harder to facilitate higher pressures. The brisance or spark my be longer to facilitate the higher volume of rifle cases.

To begin reduce your load by .2 grains and check for pressure signs and crono if possible.

I have used SRP and SMP"S in 9mm with little to no change in velocity or signs of excessive pressure.

Put the word out locally. You will find someone that will gladly make a trade SPP's for SRP's. I know I would. PM if a trade is welcome!

As a certificated reloading instructor I must advise to only use component manufacturers recommended load data!

Smiles,

Good stuff jjfitch! The OP is out of Colorado it seems. But I think you're right about finding someone to trade with is likely.

NRA Certification, no big deal! What is important I've been reloading since the late 60's!

The certification adds credibility when teaching this stuff!

Also shipping primers is no big deal just requires a hazmat sticker!

Smiles,
I've been reloading for 30 years. Purchased 1000 SRP for AR. Firing pin penetrated primers, so went to CCI 41. Will be shooting 357 in Marlin carbine, so should be reliable. Thanks again

Here is a link to a re-print of an article.
It is probably the most exhaustive "primer" on Primers.
A must read for those who load their own ammo, it was originally published in "Guns" magazine in 2009.
Read carefully;

This article has been around for awhile and is probably the most comprehensive "study" on primers and their application.

I have a "hard copy" I can refer to but wasn't sure it applied to the OP!

Thanks for adding to the conversation.

Smiles,

Here is a link to a re-print of an article.
It is probably the most exhaustive "primer" on Primers.
A must read for those who load their own ammo, it was originally published in "Guns" magazine in 2009.
Read carefully;

Thank You. I found it very interesting reading.

If I may.....allow me to also contribute.....

Read: How do changing various components affect chamber pressure and velocity?

Aloha, Mark

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads