JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Trying to save my small pistol primers for my older revolvers.

Has anyone tried this in a 9 mm Ruger PC carbine? I'm thinking it will probably work just fine. The firing pin leaves a fairly strong mark in a pistol primer.

I would of course pull at least a mini workup to make sure the pressures are okeedoke. I would be changing from a CCI sp to a CCI 400.

Any port in a storm.

up in 'stickie's' I think it is there is a writeup on using srp vs spp. I've been using them in my 45 acp loads for many months now, out of necessity,should be fine for use in 9mm's too.

up in 'stickie's' I think it is there is a writeup on using srp vs spp. I've been using them in my 45 acp loads for many months now, out of necessity,should be fine for use in 9mm's too.
Yeah I've read that. I am specifically interested in the 9mm PC carbine. Curious if the pin is sprung hard enough to light a SR primer consistently.

I am fairly sure my .40 shield could light them also. Not so sure about my old S&W revolvers. Just trying to save on SP primers where possible.

I'd use them for sure. I've been using only small rifle primers in all my small pistol primered cartridges for the last 15 years at least.. all pistols though and they light off fine with all my factory sprung guns.
Lots of Tulamo, Federal and CCI.

I'd use them for sure. I've been using only small rifle primers in all my small pistol primered cartridges for the last 15 years at least.. all pistols though and they light off fine with all my factory sprung guns.
What was the purpose for doing this? Just simplifying what was bought and stored?

What was the purpose for doing this? Just simplifying what was bought and stored?
I know you asked him, but for me it was because I had done it before, knew it was fine and at the beginning of The Great Primer Shortage I ran across someone (not from here) that gave me 1.5/1 in trade because he was too old school to believe they where interchangeable

I know you asked him, but for me it was because I had done it before, knew it was fine and at the beginning of The Great Primer Shortage I ran across someone (not from here) that gave me 1.5/1 in trade because he was too old school to believe they where interchangeable
After I asked the question I did some internet searching and that's what seems to be the case. From what I read it was explained that SRP and magnum SPP are identical, at least for CCI primers and it may be generally the case. Makes sense, they probably only bother to label them separately because it's less confusing to the general public.

Edit: and I'm happy when anyone in the room more knowledgeable than me is able to share and teach me something.

For some people.....well, different brands of primers can be a "problem" with their particular primer brand of choice or even method/primer feeding device they are using to accomplish the re-priming operation.

Yeah....measurements are one thing. But note that some brands might just be/are "harder" to seat.

Or,

The primer tool itself might just come with a warning (or caution) about using a certain brand(s) of primer.

Though that being said......note for yourself, what works and what doesn't in your own particular combination(s). There are just too many variables.
Meaning.......what works for me, might not for you.

Note : My 2nd Gen COLT SAAs using .38 Specials does not like Sm Rifle Primers. My Lee Auto Primer Tool does not like CCI Small Rifle Primers when loading .223 brass. Not all of my "range 9mm brass" likes Small Pistol Wolf Primers going through my Lee M1000 progressive press. But they behave "better" when used with Remington 6 1/2 Small Rifle Primers.

In other words : Your own experience will/may probably differ. So, for the OPs situation with his particular question (and combination).

What's the problem with experimenting?
Say 5-10 re-loads?
Or were you expecting.....everything on a silver platter?

Aloha, Mark

PS....not to mention.....that changing brands of primers can/could/does (in some cases) causes pressures and/or velocity to change.

Last Edited:
Yeah my main concern is just that they might be too hard and be inconsistent.

I know that if I use Remington 5 1/2 sp in my .357s they don't pierce but If I use the 1/2 sp even with a light load they pierce. The 1/2 will even pierce with a 38+p load sometimes.

CCI...never had a standard sp pierce. I was just thinking that the primer cup on a small rifle primer would probably be a little thicker to handle the higher pressure of stuff like 5.56.

Mainly just wondering if it's too hard for the PC carbine but it doesn't sound like it is. And that carbine is hungry brother, it eats some ammo and everybody wants to shoot it.

Well the test went perfect. Can't tell a difference at 100yds with a red dot scope with zero magnification it groups pretty well for an old guy burning a heater out of the side of his mouth and shooting off his driver side door:p. Then I did a mag dump off-hand just for fun and they all hit the plate😆. I probably couldn't do that again in a hundred years. I'm going to go home and have a beer and celebrate. I was on today for some reason. I'm just going to accept it and not look a gift horse in the mouth.

20211222_143427.jpg

20211222_145400.jpg

20211222_150840.jpg

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads