JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've read the threads that exist on this topic, but am still on the fence as I read "supposed to" "should be" "I heard"

anyone know from experience what the difference might be - will SR increase pressure or decrease pressure in SP round?

Thanks.

No matter what responses you receive, I want you to consider this! The small pistol primmer is utilized to burn 6 to 10 grains of powder or there about, the small rifle primmer is utilized to burn 30 to 50 grains of powder. They my look the same but they are not. I've been reloading for 40+ years and still have both eyes and all ten fingers. Stick with the manuals and stick around.

Perfect response and one I would advocate. But my question is what is the difference between them in terms of pressure? Yes, I would reload with them if I knew the characteristics across each platform and how to adjust the powder accordingly (if needed). All the responses I've read are gut feel. I do find it a bit ironic as there is a guy who spent the time to figure how to reload primers, but no one, that I have seen has compared SR to SP pressure wise, or at least that I have seen.

No matter what responses you receive, I want you to consider this! The small pistol primmer is utilized to burn 6 to 10 grains of powder or there about, the small rifle primmer is utilized to burn 30 to 50 grains of powder. They my look the same but they are not. I've been reloading for 40+ years and still have both eyes and all ten fingers. Stick with the manuals and stick around.

so I searched around google. This is horrible topic - it's like debating which engine oil is best. no need to respond to this thread. I am going to let it die - as I know I will never find my answer and if I do someone else will come along to contradict it.

stuck at home with small rifle primers and no small pistol primers. idle hands boys....idle hands.

After having read about 4000 versions of this same Q, I had a smartass comment but I am too polite, restrained and dignified to post it. ;P

Have you asked one of the powdered manufacturers this question. They publish loading data using their product and the question might have come up before. I once asked Alliant why older data for 2400 and .357 magnum showed small pistol primers, while the current listing showed small pistol magnum primers. The answer I got was essentially because that was what the had on the shelf the day they did the testing. .1, or .2 grain in load weight difference might be the effect depending upon the load.

Do the small rifle primers have the exact same physical dimensions as the small pistol primers?

information below is incorrect.

Size difference. One is taller. Without measuring right now I believe it's the rifle that's taller. So figure that out.

Using a spp in a rifle would mean primer is further away from firing pin.

Opposite in a srp in a pistol case, the primer will stick out.

If you want I'll press the opposite into a case later and post results.

This does not address the explosive force of the primer though. I only intended to mention a physical dimensions issue which is non-issue.

After getting up in the morning and putting calipers on the primers at the bench... .176" and .120" on both primers.

Last Edited:
Size difference. One is taller. Without measuring right now I believe it's the rifle that's taller. So figure that out.

You're confusing LPP's and LRP's.
SPP's are the same height as SRP's
If you go this route, and many do, work up your load.
What we're talking about here is "primer brisance".
Here's a bit on some dimensions and I think on brisance..

http://forums.handloads.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=33350&PN=1

Thanks @Certaindeaf,
I was thinking on the physical size only. Now I do wholly agree that one will have a little more bang than the other.

Always, always, always and always work up.

Maybe I'll keep the 4,000 srp's I have for an 'incase I need them' spp substitute then.

I quote myself:

Small pistol and small rifle primers are the same diameter and the same height.

The earlier statement was wrong.

I wonder if SR or SPM is a closer match to SP?

It has been tough to find small pistol, but Sportsman's Warehouse in Hillsboro had CCI a few months back so I restocked. A few weeks ago they had some Winchester in stock.

I wonder if SR or SPM is a closer match to SP?

It has been tough to find small pistol, but Sportsman's Warehouse in Hillsboro had CCI a few months back so I restocked. A few weeks ago they had some Winchester in stock.
The cup thickness of the SPP's and SMPP's is the same.. so one would think that, generally, the only variable between the two, especially within one brand, is that the magnums are hotter.
The SRP's have a thicker cup than SPP's.. magnum or standard.

So, I got an idea......Get your revolver out, suggest a 4"-6" barrel. Load four or so dummy rounds with half being srp and the other spp. Shoot 'em with no powder or projectile. Any difference in sound?

Report back.

Last Edited:
So, I got an idea......Get your revolver out, suggest a 4"-6" barrel. Load four or so dummy rounds with half being srp and the other spp. Shoot 'em with no powder or projectile. Any difference in sound?

Next, load four or so with the primers as before, but this time put some low BHN, (cowboy?) bullets in the case, NO powder, seated the same. Now shoot and measure if the bullets went the same distance into the barrel. That outta tell you if there really is a bigger bang in srp then the spp.

I once missed the powder in a .38 special cartridge and the primer alone put the jacketed bullet just past even with the barrel and it came out pretty easy with a wooden dowel.

Report back.
Good idea. Pretty similar to what German Salazar did with his pendulum and high-speed photography tests. He didn't use a "loudness" test though.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top