JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Greetings.
I, apparently along with everyone else in the USA, am looking for small pistol primers. Any ideas out there?

Thanks,
Phil
Half way down, front page on this forum..

Greetings.
I, apparently along with everyone else in the USA, am looking for small pistol primers. Any ideas out there?

Thanks,
Phil

You could use sm rifle primers as a substitute for sm pistol primers. *YES, they'll fit. However......
Some primers may not go off (due to variations) in certain pistols.

Example:
My son has a Glock which he says will not reliably set off Wolf steel cased 9mm ammo. While on the other hand my BHP is reliable with the same ammo. So? Is it a matter of the amount of "striking energy transfer" that is involved between the two pistols?

Sure/most likely.

So anyway.....
Would I/do I trust the reloaded ammo w/sm rifle primers to work with 100% reliability in his 9mm Glock?

Maybe not/probably not.

Then.....
What if.......
I used sm rifle primers in my reloads, for my cowboy action pistols (with lightened springs)?

Rrrright......say a prayer first.

OK, Ok, ok.....at least do some tests.

*The same substitution of Lg Rifle for Lg pistol DOES NOT FIT.

Aloha, Mark

PS....you'll also probably need to adjust your load data.

Last Edited:
Speaking off brands and/or foreign brands....
I got Russian WOLF sm rifle primers (made for .223 Rem) that are GTG. Thank you Mr. OBAMA.

290933.jpg
But, I won't be using them for pistol loads. I got other stuff for that job.

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
there's an Italian company whose name escapes me just now, that makes great primers too.

Meet the Italian primer Fiocchi. They work for great, just funky 150 packs so your 100 count primer tubes overflow. It's European so it has to do something odd. Like Russin Wolf primer boxes when turned inside out are used as TP, in Russia.:D

20666.jpg

Pack of 1200 for $8 available on amazon. Some assembly required.

That was something I had already thought about too. The big problem is reliability. Maybe using the plastic caps and fiddling the compound out works better?

I just bought 25,000 Federal Match, small pistol primers for $60 US per thousand. Locally. My issue is solved for a while at least.
Just bought 1K Large Rifle Magnum primers, at a retail store for $25. $60 a 1,000 is price gouging. May have to check with Remington's bankruptcy and see if they will sell me, one of their primer manufacturing plants. Would be a win, win, situation. WOW, $1,500 for 25,000 primer, 3X the going rate.

Small pistol primers are normally between $30-40 US around here, and are the hardest to find. I would expect rifle caliber primers to be more available, hence cheaper, but I don't keep up with rifle primer prices so I don't Know. $60/1000 is about double the normal going rate for SPP and is substantially less than most of the online prices I've seen. In any event, I was very happy to get them even at that rate.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads