Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Small Pistol Case?

Discussion in 'Gear & Accessories' started by twoclones, Jan 12, 2010.

1. twoclones

twoclones Tri-Cities, WA Well-Known Member

I want to buy a really small pistol case for holding my model 642 inside of my checked baggage. All I've seen that are not a waste of space have been cheap plastic that can be opened with a pen knife :(

Who makes/sells a small, strudy box that will accept a padlock?

Butch

2. xjjeeper223

xjjeeper223 Medford Active Member

Check out Pelican.com. Their cases might be plastic but they sure arent cheap. And it would take more than a pen knife to open them.

3. twoclones

I'm very familiar with Pelican cases but really prefer something less bulky. Otter box would be very nice if they could be locked.

4. Gunner3456

Gunner3456 Salem Well-Known Member

Google "camera case?"

5. Natty Bumpo

Natty Bumpo Clackamas County Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

This is what I use.

TSA approved. All steel. Decent lock. Padded. It will hold any large auto or two J frames.

It also has a cable that you can attach to your car seat rails for brief storage in your car (like going into the Post Office).

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=274442

6. twoclones

That's better. I saw this one on Brownells.com but they didn't list the dimensions :( Guess they wanted me to buy it from Midway... LOL

Do you put ammo in the same case when traveling by air?

7. Natty Bumpo

Natty Bumpo Clackamas County Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

The ones with the combo locks get bad reviews. I know from experience that there is nothing worse than some cheesy combo lock. A keyed lock is better on something this simple.

Concerning your question about packing ammo in the same case, the answer is yes....but....not quite....

Go here to read the rules. Questions should be referred to TSA.

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/editorial_1666.shtm

8. twoclones

Today I received my Secure-It handgun case. First impression is that it looks like the perfect container for taking a handgun in luggage when flying. Very small, nicely padded interior, and it locks with a key. My S&W 642 and Galco Speed Master holster fit nicely inside.

The 'memory-fitting foam' smells kind of nasty! :( I've set mine outside to air out...

9. cwegga

cwegga Helena, MT Active Member

I have one I use in my truck and I think it's great, but I agree. It keeps getting funk smell on my carry gun. :paranoid: