JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I ride a motorcycle on a daily basis that being said I have been trying to decide how to carry and be comfortable. I decided to tuck my carry gun into my waist band in different positions and mount my motorcycle. After I tried multiple positions the most comfortable was the small of my back.

All that being said I would want a holster that could tuck on the inside of the back of my pants, yet easily removable so I can remove it when I sit at my desk at work. I would also need it to have a strap holding the gun in the holster.

The reason I want to tuck it inside my pants is because when on a motorcycle my jacket and shirt sometimes rise up and I dont want it to look like I am open carrying.

I am not sure what material I would want it out of, all I know is that I would want an all back one. Also as this is my first hoster I do not want to spend alot as I am not 100% I want to always carry.

Right now my carry weapon is a Walther P99 which I have been VERY happy with.

SWDR(? I think is his name) can probably make you one. I carry in my SOB holster everyday. Its may favorite. Mine goes outside though, and has no strap. Or thumb break.

The problem with small of the back carry is that there is a substantial risk of serious injury carrying that way. The reasoning is that if you end up falling, your lower back may hit the ground first and if you have a gun, radio, cuffs, or anything else hard pressed against your spine, you stand a good chance of sustaining a serious lower back injury.

It is my understanding some police departments recommend an officer carries no gear in the small of the back due to the risk of serious injury.

You can do a search about it online and read competing theories, but generally people feel the risk isn't worth it.

I commute on a bike too but stash the pistol in my backpack usually. I can't think of many occasions when I would be riding and shooting at the same time so I figure the bag is the best place for it. When I ride I try not to wear anything I don't need to in case I go down on it. Everything that usually rides in my pockets (keys, knife, phone etc.) goes into the backpack. Imagine smacking into the pavement at 60mph with a gun on your waist or keys in your pocket... not pretty. If you want your gun accessible while you're riding you might want to get a tank bag instead of keeping it on your body.
I looked at SOB when I started carrying but decided I'm more likely to injure myself falling on it than I am likely to have to shoot at anyone, I ended with a lightweight nylon IWB appendix carry.

though crowd haha. i understand the risks involved.. "acceptance of risk" is in place, I understand it could screw me up.. But I didnt come here for advice on possible injury, I ride a motorcycle 365/year I am 100% aware of any possible injuries. I even ride to work in the snow so that alone says I am crazy haha!

I also ride my motorcycle wearing an open face helmet when its not raining.. What should be more worried about my uncovered face hitting the concrete at 60+mph and turning my lower jaw into ground beef, or landing on my lower back with a pistol attached to it??

though crowd haha. i understand the risks involved.. "acceptance of risk" is in place, I understand it could screw me up.. But I didnt come here for advice on possible injury, I ride a motorcycle 365/year I am 100% aware of any possible injuries. I even ride to work in the snow so that alone says I am crazy haha!

I also ride my motorcycle wearing an open face helmet when its not raining.. What should be more worried about my uncovered face hitting the concrete at 60+mph and turning my lower jaw into ground beef, or landing on my lower back with a pistol attached to it??

With those kinds of decision making skills, maybe you should not carry a gun at all. :)

I can understand a lot of those decisions. I used to ride 365 also because my bike was my only way to and from work. I used to wear an open face helmet because of two reasons. I could not afford a better one and the closed faced ones fog too easily in cool weather. There is no good reason to carry SOB. It is just a poor decision and their are better alternatives.

though crowd haha. i understand the risks involved.. "acceptance of risk" is in place, I understand it could screw me up.. But I didnt come here for advice on possible injury

So you're willing to accept being in a wheelchair or having your face partly ground off in an accident, but you're carrying a pistol because you're concerned about your personal safety/security... OK.

Life has risks, but the idea is to minimize the risk of a bad outcome. If you have a wreck on a bike, it can be bad. If you have a wreck on a bike and you're carrying a pistol in the small of your back, the injuries could be much worse. Considering that, it's worth it to seek an alternative carry method.

Regarding your cavalier joke about hitting the ground with an unprotected face, your concept of the injury is completely abstract and that's why you don't appreciate what it actually means. I can assure you as someone who has had half his face ripped up in an accident that the reconstruction process is long and unpleasant. Additionally, you get to look disfigured for the period which really sucks if you're trying to date. For me, it was 6 years and 13 operations. I consider myself very fortunate that the injuries were not worse.

Why be cheap about the box that protects your head (face and brain)? It's not like you win anything worthwhile. You get to save a few bucks. When you talk to people who have had to live with the crippling consequences of a bad decision you learn that most of them would gladly have paid the money to avoid the pain and suffering that followed.

I dated a girl who was in a wheelchair because she had been thrown from a vehicle in a wreck. She had not been wearing a seatbelt. You can take it to the bank if she had that day to do over again she would've worn a seatbelt. She hated talking about it. She was a smart girl who was very attractive and that one cavalier choice to ride in a friend's jeep without a seatbelt is a bad decision she will pay for daily, for the rest of her life.

You're clearly going to do what you want, but if that's the case why bother asking anyone about what you want to do if cannot accept advice that your approach should be rethought. Do you want us to pat you on the back no matter how bad your idea is?

All the MC jackets I own have an inner pocket that is about the same position as shoulder holster would position a gun and is my choice for ccw.

I have lined my lighter jacket pocket with a thin sheet of rigid plastic to stop from printing.

Just sayin'
Tilos

You're clearly going to do what you want, but if that's the case why bother asking anyone about what you want to do if cannot accept advice that your approach should be rethought. Do you want us to pat you on the back no matter how bad your idea is?

Yes I will do what I want but I never asked anyone their opinion on my choices that I make in my life. You whole post gave no input to the topic at hand. I never once asked for anyone's opinion on if I should do it, if it was a good idea or what they think about me riding a motorcycle. I asked for advice on choosing a holster that meets my needs.

I am 100% positive that people do SOB carry, it must be popular if they are sold, companies have to make profit. Google search SOB carry and find TONS of people that do it (yes there are sites against it but that is not what I am asking about).. Then Google SOB Motorcycle Carry, and there are ALOT of people that do it. I came on here to ask for help on carrying while riding but if I must I will go to a MC forum and ask them.

Thank you all for your input, seriously, it did get me to think about things I did not thing about, but this is my method of choice that I want to use at the moment.

When I ride I carry SOB in a uncle mikes sidekick with the retention strap. These are made of light weight suede type material and are very comfortable even with the low slung high back Mustang gunfighter solo's. This is especially good when warmer weather is around due to not wearing a jacket. I also have a smaller .45 for the front pocket of my jacket that I carry sometimes. I have been down at 60mph and can still walk so not too worried like some. I carry my Kimber SOB at all times as well because that is whats comfortable for me.
If you have a good jacket it is also a good idea to carry on the right inside so if need be you can reach in and use left hand to draw while still in control of the throttle. I have had to draw while in motion once and was glad it was accesable to the left hand.

I bought a $10 Uncle Mikes IWB holster last night a Sportco. I put it in the 5:00 position and its exactly what I was looking for..

I may change my preferences later on but for right now its what I was looking for.

I have been carrying my LCP in a "below the waist band" IWB from the folks linked below. I have the "Gun Gone IWB" and it is simple and well made. Yeah, I know it isn't a fast draw as it rests underneath my belt-mounted cell phone. It cannot be seen without very close scrutiny. Slow though it is, it has been made clear here, to each his own in weighing risks and benefits. I am sure Bell Charter Oak Holsers would have a viable option for you to consider if you scroll through their options or give them a call--they were very helpful with me.

http://bellcharteroakholsters.com/iwb.html

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top