Small of back holster options?

Reno

Reactions
I’m thinking of giving this a try. The way my butt and torso are shaped, my shirt hangs better over my lower back than my belly. I’m done shoving muzzles down my pants! This looks like a comfortable fit, maybe. Worth a try at least.

Anyone know of a good brand making this type of thing but with an almost horizontal hold vs this canted picture?

1590526384361.jpeg

OP
Reno

Reno

Reactions
I appreciate he concerns and recommendations against not carrying this way.

It still is something I’d like to at least try.

I currently carry in an OWB as it is.

I don’t see how the holster I have is drastically different then the one I posted above in my picture.

I’d likely not carry this exactly at 6 o’clock. It just makes sense in my head. If it sucks, it sucks.
Exactly. Landing on a piece of steel that is directly covering your spine is a disaster waiting to happen.
Thanks for the concern and recommendations. Just like carrying appendix I’m guessing some risks are involved, IE paralyzed from a mishap, or shooting ones balls off!:eek:

Anyways, anyone know of a good holster company that makes such a thing? Now that the thread may hopefully continue on?

Reactions
Years ago I meet a guy in a wheelchair at a gun store who was buying .22 LR for his rifle. We talked for a while and how he got paralyzed came up in conversation.
He was using a SOB holster for his revolver and fell off a step ladder. Never walked again afterwards. This was mid 90s.
Strongly recommend against Small of Back carry.

OP
Reno

Reno

Reactions
Never said anything about hurt feelings.

Though that’s always assumed by a few.

Thread got derailed almost instantly.

Chances of actually getting a recommendation went from maybe to zero in a few posts.

Then when I ask to have the thread closed. I am a poster child for “feelings”.

Some just like to be who they are because that’s how they are, unfortunately being on NWFA means you have to deal with this type of thing happening.

Thanks!

Reno

Reactions
MOB (middle of the back) where the gun is positioned over the spine is considered dangerous, while the average SOB (small of back) carrier cheats the holster to their strong side with the gun off the spinal column.

There are pros and cons. Accessibility can be a problem from various positions but that applies to many other carry positions too. Defending your firearm from an attacker is more difficult when carried SOB. Draw stroke will need to be practiced to overcome previous well-learned draw stroke mechanics. Safely reholstering can be a challenge especially if you need to do it one-handed. Running, dancing, and doing backflips are not encouraged with this rig which is a deal-breaker for me.

Last edited:
OP
Reno

Reno

Reactions
In all honesty, I’m still open to recommendations, so if the moderator here, or another moderator wouldn’t mind cleaning up this thread versus trying to prove they are right or something, instead of just ignoring the thread, I’d appreciate it.

It seems folks are just sharing their opinion and since it's not against forum rules to share them I'm seeing no recourse to remove content. Maybe just pass them up like I pass up anchovies on pizza?

That said, if you still want to try it, my buddy loves his:

OP
Reno

Reno

Reactions
It seems folks are just sharing their opinion and since it's not against forum rules to share them I'm seeing no recourse to remove content. Maybe just pass them up like I pass up anchovies on pizza?

That said, if you still want to try it, my buddy loves his:
In that case, please just close the thread. Thanks!

OP
Reno

Reno

Reactions
At this point, now I’m truly curious if I’ll get recommendations or just more of the same, follow the leader I guess...

UPCOMING EVENTS

Arms Collectors of SW Washington Gun Show
Battleground Community Center
912 E Main St, Battle Ground, WA 98604, USA
Cerberus Training Group - Run the Gun Pistol
Cerberus Training Group
47 Cattle Dr, Goldendale, WA 98620, USA
Cerberus Training Group - Run the Gun Rifle
Cerberus Training Group
47 Cattle Dr, Goldendale, WA 98620, USA

LATEST RESOURCE REVIEWS

• Oregon Arms & Ammunition
    5.00 star(s)
    Hellcat OSP
    I almost put "Limited "Covid induced" inventory" as a Con, but thought that wouldn't really be fair to them! The aftermath of Covid has depleted...
  • Vancouver Weapon Werx
    5.00 star(s)
    I have done a lot of deals here
    Gary's easy to work with when in town.
    • matts
  • Vancouver Weapon Werx
    5.00 star(s)
    Excellent Business!
    I have been going to Vancouver Weapon Werx for years and know both owners quite well. The only downfall is I go there to purchase or have a gun...
  • SafeFire Indoor Shooting Range & Retail
    5.00 star(s)
    A great, safe place to go shooting
    Love this place!! Great staff, the range masters are friendly, helpful and alert. This is a safe place to shoot. The store is kind of low on stock...
    • GWS
  • Copeland Custom Gunworks
    5.00 star(s)
    First time....
    First time working with a gunsmith but I found Copeland Gunworks to be an awesome husband wife team that worked really fast and things were...
Top Bottom