JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I went to a couple shops today with a buddy who's looking for a new toy and our last stop was in Raineer at a very small shop, I was quit upset with some of what the shop owner was telling us, the fact he is not getting any new firearms stock from gun manufactures he says the "small shops" have been cut off from getting firearms until prob July, now this guys shop is real small maybe a 1/4 the size if that of Keith,s, he says that the manufactures and distributers are only shipping to the major stores and shop's that generally have a hi sales turnover, this is pretty disturbing to me, a guy trying to live the dream is being cut off at the knees because of the B.S. frenzy that the general consumer has created.

There simply are no guns to be had from distributors. I am generally looking for guns everyday and I have not seen one I was looking for in stock with any distributor in over a month.

In the last three years I have bought a 4 used guns from ads on the forums, 3 (2 new 1 used) from a small local shop in Salem and 3 (all new) from a small local shop in Molalla. Still haven't bought from an online auction or online dealer. But then I am not a typical gun buyer I'm looking for mostly stuff thats not whats popular nowdays. And I need to see handle judge the item before it becomes part of my collection. I also don't trade around my firearms. Once I buy it it has a home until one of the kids owns it.

I believe the shop you are referring to is RCW arms. Its is a verry small shop it used to be bigger now I know why. The guy that runs it is very pleasant and usually has good deals on bulk ammo (1000 rounds for factory loaded 9mm for $199) but I doubt he has any in stock or will for a while and deals in the more tactical type of firearms.

Don't think it's just the small shops. I took this with a grain of salt but, I was in Fishermans last week and they said they didn't think they'd get any more firearms for several months if at all this year.
I wasn't buying and they knew it, so I don't think it was a scare tactic.

Also a business owner here, several of my largest distributors have stopped taking orders altogether, for ANYTHING! MEGA, YHM and Delton are so behind they have stopped taking even backorders. Most other distributors can't even tell me when they might expect to get any product. Tough times right now. Good thing I didn't quit my day job. This BS would have bankrupted me if it were my only income. Worst part is we head to SHOT show next week and almost nobody will even be taking orders. Woohoo! Maybe I'll get some stickers.

Yes it was RCW arms, and yes the guy who owns it is a very nice guy, he seems real reasonable on his prices for doing smithing and did say he has a lot of smith work right now, im going to give him my business for as much of the gunsmithing as I can, as far as Inventory he had some shotguns (one home defense shotty) a few wheel guns, and a small handful of semi auto hand cannons and some ar add ons, plus the targets and a selection of some ammo etc. etc. etc.

It's hard for all small businesses relying on outside suppliers. I feel for him.

In most places, not just firearms, the small guy with their "penny ante" orders always get the shaft end when it comes to periods of short supply, and the bigger retailers just come in like gorillas and take everything. The rough thing about it is that the business owner knows it, and knows that if they sold more they'd get a better fulfillment lead time, but if they have nothing to sell, they can't sell more...

It's got be pretty demoralizing for them.

I went to a couple shops today with a buddy who's looking for a new toy and our last stop was in Raineer at a very small shop, I was quit upset with some of what the shop owner was telling us, the fact he is not getting any new firearms stock from gun manufactures he says the "small shops" have been cut off from getting firearms until prob July, now this guys shop is real small maybe a 1/4 the size if that of Keith,s, he says that the manufactures and distributers are only shipping to the major stores and shop's that generally have a hi sales turnover, this is pretty disturbing to me, a guy trying to live the dream is being cut off at the knees because of the B.S. frenzy that the general consumer has created.

Unfortunately this industry is seeing some HUGE demands that are not sustainable for all of the businesses out there. If I was a supplier, I'd do exactly the same thing. I would feed my biggest customers first. This is part of the challenge with trying to run a small business in today's world going up against some big boys out there. So while it sucks for the small guys and the customers that like the small guys, it is what makes the most logical business sense right now.

I'm a little guy too. It's been this way ever since the Internet started playing a large role in gun sales.
It really sucks as the on-line big guys sell at a few bucks over cost and rely on volume.
Even when we can get stock we cannot make a living trying to sell a few guns at a little less than retail, when the big Internet Boys are selling at a few bucks over cost.
Most gun buyers want the very lowest price they can get, and because of that they buy off the Internet.
Cannot really blame them.
When I cannot get stock from my wholesalers, I've actually bought on-line from Bud's and others, and re-sold them for a $5.00 to $10.00 mark up just to make the sale and satisfy my customer.
This keeps them coming top me for used guns, and services.
It's tough being a little guy.

You have a store front over there?
News to me,or I'd be shopping there too

Me and most of my friends stopped shopping at all but 1 small shop becasue of all the bad service we get. When you go in and try to get help and they ignore you or are jerks we never go in again. The one that treated us well we still go into becasue its we respect him. Its not just about us its about how they treat the people you send in also. You should feel that its OK to either send in a gun guy or a noob and they wont be taken advantage of.

I have my "trap line" of small shops that I keep adding to because I'll spend a few extra dollars for:
1. buying from a local business
2. knowing who I'm buying things from
3. excellent conversation

Thee main reasons to shop local.
Plus I get to actually hold the weapon and decide if I like the gun.

I've always said it kinda sucks that people go to the shops ,look and touch the guns,use the electricity of the shop and then buy on line.
I'll pay a little more so the local guys stay open and I can actually hold the guns I want to see.
Even though I don't buy the same type collector guns MarkW does,I still like touching the guns before I buy.

Don't think it's just the small shops. I took this with a grain of salt but, I was in Fishermans last week and they said they didn't think they'd get any more firearms for several months if at all this year.
I wasn't buying and they knew it, so I don't think it was a scare tactic.

The Tigard locale has recieved a few *small* shipments in this week - misc. stuff - no Glocks, AR's, M&P's or XD's - they have a few more Kahr pistols (bought the TP-45 two nights ago from them) but their selection is super slim. While I was doing paperwork, this guy walks up to the counter and was chatting with the guys there. He'd been in the day before and walked out with 3 new pistols, and what I gleaned from the conversation - was about to do the same again. Lot of folks buying guns looking at the investment, it would seem. Not sure if they're turning around and reselling them for profit or if they're actually stocking up for self defense / sporting purposes.

There's a couple more pistol purchases I want to make in another month or so, if I can get what I'm looking for by then. After that - we're getting my wife a rifle. She wanted an AR before, so we were saving up the coin to get one from Curt's Discount. Then the damn panic started and that went out the window, so no AR for her until things go back to normal, if they ever do. Might wind up getting a shotgun instead...

After we get that stuff taken care of, I'll probably be looking into revolvers, of which there are a lot more floating around, though the good stuff has still been gone from most shops. You can get almost anything Taurus that you want though *gag*.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top