JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
"Undercoverette" 32 magnum. Has enough power for protection.Yet is as calm and comfortable as it gets. Price is in the 400 range. Shootable for all age groups. Reliability is unmatched. Training basics=Always make it enjoyable, maybe bring the youngsters along. More attention is payed when having fun.

View attachment 701016
Thank you very much for your reply. That is a nice looking set-up. I will certainly try to find one to look at in person.

My son, the retired Marine, said they sold a ton of Smith and Wesson Shield380 EZ to concerned shooters with great success. Manual of arms is very straightforward. Well worth considering. Best of luck..!!

Consider this:
Charter Arms Pathfinder Standard Revolver | 72324

22 WMR, 2", Double/Single Action, Stainless Steel Frame, Black Rubber Grip, Fixed Sights, Matte Stainless, 6 Rds

Cost about $325.00

My take: low recoil with 'enough' power.
Thank you for this reply. I guess that I suffer a bit from the "that's just too small" bias. I know that the .22 mag is fast but I don't know that it is powerful enough. I guess that I should look into that. I have thought about getting one lately....

I like .32 caliber revolvers, but if your concern is only about recoil, the average person is far better off with a .38 Special, in my opinion. Ammo is much cheaper and easier to find. The only advantage to .32 is one more round in the cylinder. Look around and check out the price and availability of practice ammo in each caliber before you buy, if practicing and cost are an issue at all.

The lowly .38 Special is a very versatile cartridge. you can download 105gr bullets to 700fps, for recoil and report barely more than a .22, on up to +P.

I bought my wife a Smith & Wesson model 640 in .38 Special. Shrouded hammer, double action only, no safety except for the hammer block. She can fire right through her purse without threat of jamming. I think it's the easiest handgun ever. Five shots and yes, Federal makes Low Recoil Hydra-shok ammo.

P

Thank you for this reply. I guess that I suffer a bit from the "that's just too small" bias. I know that the .22 mag is fast but I don't know that it is powerful enough. I guess that I should look into that. I have thought about getting one lately....

It ain't the arrow, it's the Indian.
Gunhandling, shot placement, and proper tactics are a lot more important than the difference between .32/.327 Mag and .38 Spl.

One thing to consider with using a .22 rimfire for self defense...is the ammo itself.
How many times have you seen or experienced a :
Failure to fire...
Failure to cycle the action if its a semi auto firearm...
Failure to feed...
Failure to extract or eject....

All of above is a pain when at the range...but if that happens in a self defense situation...it may be a killer.

Please note that I am not saying , not to use a .22 rimfire for self defense...
I am saying that if you do ....find the ammo that works the best out of your firearm....and stock up on that.
Andy

Hello All. Happy Memorial Day.

I believe owning guns, but I am not really informed on brands and models.

My wife has her carry permit but does not carry at this time. I have a couple of carry pistols and she shoots them from time to time but every time we do shoot I have to coach her thru the use of the gun, what to do, where the safety is, and such. She also is not excited about a lot of recoil. I would like to get a simple small caliber revolver that she would be more comfortable to operate.

My questions are, are there any 32 caliber revolvers still being made? Or other smaller calibers? If so any that stand out for a possible carry use? Any used models that I should look for? If I went to a 38 special is there any low power rounds available?

Thank you all for any assistance you can give.

Edit-- Ok, When I originally posted I tried to keep things short and to the point. I figured that I would be respectful of all you your time and net tell a life story. I also expected that several people would not assume lowest common denominator. May of you have offered your thoughts and advise and I thank you for that. The Undercoverette is absolutely something for us to look for, and the info about the .327/32 I was not aware of and gives me something to research.

For the missing information, my wife was raised with guns. She learned and practices absolute gun safety, to the point of worrying about what direction handguns are placed in the case so that when we open the case they are pointed down range and do not have to be turned around. Her issues are not safety or ability to shoot. It is simply keeping the manual-of-arms for each weapon. Because of her concern that she might miss something she will not handle our pistols alone. That is why she does not carry.

Both my wife and I don't get to the range as much as we would like. Unfortunately that is a bi-product of our lives, not enough time for all the things that we want to do.

For whatever it may be worth, I do highly recommend that you find a local range that offers a Valentines day special. My wife and I love it!

I hope that this adds to the original post and helps to reduce the need for assumptions. And has not made this post too long.

Thank you again for your advise.
Billdotcom, may I call you Mr Bill?
MRtwentytwo states things perfectly. Consider a 357 Magnum. Practice with 38 special

1 price of ammo
2 performance of ammo
3 flexibility of ammo choices

32 is an old caliber so rounds for it will be expensive and under powered
357/38 special is a well known combination and ammo choices are numerous from target loads to personal defense

You mentioned revolver, Ruger SP101s come with 5 round cylinders and various barrel lengths.
Excellent carry choice.

Stay safe

I'm on the other side of the "train, train, train" question. I think you have made a reasonable choice, going for a revolver, for the situation you are in. Revolvers are simple, usable tools for people who are not going to expend vast amounts of time and money at the range.

Before someone nags me, yes I do think training is important. But it is up to the owner to decide that question. Everyone has different needs.

I have a Ruger SP101 in .327 Fed., with the 4" barrel. I really like this gun but it may be on the heavy side for carrying. The ammo is going to be a bit more expensive than .38spl, but you can easily decide yourself if that is a deal killer. Obviously, if you are not doing a lot of shooting, the ammo cost is less important.

As if by magic, there is a SP101 in .327 Federal with a 4in Barrel for sale in the classifieds right here on the forum.
Take a look and see for yourself why so many like the SP101 revolver. Great segway PaulB47 :)

I put an aftermarket grip on mine too - a Pachmyer Compaq I think. I load my cartridges with near max loads of fast powders like Titegroup, which is still good enough velocity for defense but they are a pussycat to shoot.

Consider the 32acp. While some will state it is insufficient, it was the preferred gun of Dillinger and a lot of folks. Recoil is minimal, and it is a reasonable choice. Noise is also reduced and if you ever go down the silencer rabbit hole it will be ridiculously fun.

There are a lot of models out there. Some women I know prefer the Beretta 3032 since you can use the pop up barrel instead of racking it. A lot of classic guns are relatively inexpensive in 32acp and are actually heavier built than a lot of modern ones.

I know you said revolver but revolvers are not always the best choice for newer shooters.

Ruger LCR .327 magnum will handle 32 magnum, 32 long as well. Check out several YouTube videos on .32 long wadcutter for self defense. Low recoil and enough penetration. Also 6 shots vs. 5.

"Consider the 32acp."

It also can be shot in the .327 Fed and .32 H&R revolvers. I consider it a plinking round and maybe for small game, but not for defense. Most .32ACP ammo you see on the market is either FMJ, or the velocity is so low that it might as well be FMJ.

Hello All. Happy Memorial Day.

I believe owning guns, but I am not really informed on brands and models.

My wife has her carry permit but does not carry at this time. I have a couple of carry pistols and she shoots them from time to time but every time we do shoot I have to coach her thru the use of the gun, what to do, where the safety is, and such. She also is not excited about a lot of recoil. I would like to get a simple small caliber revolver that she would be more comfortable to operate.

My questions are, are there any 32 caliber revolvers still being made? Or other smaller calibers? If so any that stand out for a possible carry use? Any used models that I should look for? If I went to a 38 special is there any low power rounds available?

Thank you all for any assistance you can give.

Edit-- Ok, When I originally posted I tried to keep things short and to the point. I figured that I would be respectful of all you your time and net tell a life story. I also expected that several people would not assume lowest common denominator. May of you have offered your thoughts and advise and I thank you for that. The Undercoverette is absolutely something for us to look for, and the info about the .327/32 I was not aware of and gives me something to research.

For the missing information, my wife was raised with guns. She learned and practices absolute gun safety, to the point of worrying about what direction handguns are placed in the case so that when we open the case they are pointed down range and do not have to be turned around. Her issues are not safety or ability to shoot. It is simply keeping the manual-of-arms for each weapon. Because of her concern that she might miss something she will not handle our pistols alone. That is why she does not carry.

Both my wife and I don't get to the range as much as we would like. Unfortunately that is a bi-product of our lives, not enough time for all the things that we want to do.

For whatever it may be worth, I do highly recommend that you find a local range that offers a Valentines day special. My wife and I love it!

I hope that this adds to the original post and helps to reduce the need for assumptions. And has not made this post too long.

Thank you again for your advise.

There are lots of 32 options, both in single and double action. Ruger makes the LCR, SP101, GP100 and the single seven in 327 Federal. Charter Arms makes the undercoverette snubby and the professional 3 inch seven shot in 32 HR Magnum, Smith and Wesson will make runs as will Taurus in 327 Fed and 32 HR plus the used market is full of them. The 327 Federal is heads and tails more powerful than both 38 Special and 380 ACP, not sure why those get trotted out as better all the time, plus you can shoot 32SW and 32 Longs as well as 32 Magnum and if it's a 327 you can do all four, if it's a single action you can go ahead and load 32ACP as well. 32 HR Mag is a sweet spot in a carry revolver plus it'll be J framed size with one extra round.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top