JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Keep this in mind about S/M...behind the counter, you got middle aged guys, that never go shooting..making minimum wage, taking Marv's crap all day long....one of them should have plastered their brains on the wall by now....

I am sure no one is forced to work there. But, Marv is responsible for the people that he does allow to work there. They are a reflection of Marv and how he runs his store.

John

My wife and I went in there to look at Holsters for her conceal carry, the staff member who assisted us was helpful enough. He wasn't pushy, he answered her questions and even gave advice on other places to look.

I can't say I'm displeased. @OregonJohn: I don't know if this is allowed or not on this forum, but can you offer a description of the offending employee so that I can avoid them? Or what tell me "New Soda Jerk" means?

But I will have a talk with the owner the next time if I do

Good luck with that. Marv makes the rest of them look like real nice guys. I've seen him lie to and yell at customers, more than once.

They are a reflection of Marv and how he runs his store
This is very true. A couple of the guys there aren't so bad, but I will never set foot in the place again.

SM is posted for sale online
Great news! If it sells, I'll take back the part about never going back. Their selection is really pretty fair, and some of their prices aren't the worst..

Right Marv has trained all the staffers into little know it all want to be gun experts. Do not go to S&M they do not deserve your money. Hopefully when we get the Cabelas open it will run Marv out of business.

I have good reason to dislike the shop several years ago Marv called me an idiot for buying a case of steel shot from him to hunt ducks. He told the entire store that ducks weren't worth the cost of those shells. Another time I got reamed out for wanting a shotgun with a 28 " barrel and not the 26" he had in stock. I could go on and on. I used to go there as this is the only game in Eugene. But now I would do without before I would go in there.

I refuse to shop at this place and honestly can't understand why they are still in business besides the fact that overly arrogant people with bad attitudes seem to stick together. Every time I have been in this establishment the staff were in the process of either being rude to myself or someone else in the store. I have heard a lot of bad stories about this place, and judging from my experiences there, am willing to bet that the majority of them are true and quite possibly understated. Being part of the local sporting goods industry here in Eugene myself, I have spoken with many people, and very very few of them have anything good to say about this place.

Selection - Decent
Prices - There are better prices in town
Knowledge - Fair but Arrogant
Service & Attitude - Extremely Poor

Conclusion: There are better places in town to go to. And plenty of other people in town who are just as, if not more knowledgeable and who are also polite and usually overly humble that would be glad to share their knowledge with anyone.

I had very interesting experience with the Idiots at SM last Friday. Myself and two friends walked in and a gentleman who works there asked if he could help us. I replied "Yes we are looking for a left handed 17HMR" He replied "They don't make 'em" I said "yes several companies make them including CZ and Cooper" He then launched into "Well I didn't know I was talking to Mr. deep pockets" And he kept at it telling us how nobody in this town can afford a Cooper and how they would not stock them because they would never sell any. LOL I then just walked around looking at their extremely high prices, many of which were above the price of a new Cooper.

Another counterperson did ask me a little later if I needed help to which I replied "No, I think that guy pretty much took care of us" No I will never be back.

Worst customer service I have ever experienced. Went in to look at a few 1911s and the clown just kep shoving food down his throat and getting it all over the weapons. Attitude seems to be that they are doing you a huge favor by letting you walk in the door. Also treated my wife like garbage (she is retired LE) treating her like she knew nothing about guns till she literally got in their faces!! I just love it when she gets PO'd at someone else!!

I've been in SM 6-8 times over a period of about 5 years. Each time I get treated like I am just wasting their time. Customer service is definitly not the strong suit. Fortunately, there are other places to go and I have actually found a pawn/resale shop in Roseburg that will order guns for me for a small fee.

The owner isnt going to change your opinion... has a long-standing rep even among other dealers as maybe the biggest blowhard on legs (motto; If U cant be RIGHT, be WRONG at the top of your lungs). If you like rudeness, narrow minds, racist jokes, & sexist piglets... S&M is your gun store.

......The last several thousand dollars I have spent have been spent with Wes in Philomath and Randy at Bakers.......

Randy is great. I first met him over twenty years ago, when he and Robin worked at S&M. They were pretty much the only reason I kept going back, and when they left I took my dollars elsewhere.

I'm not really a "gun person". I had enough of them in the Army! I've been into S&M Guns a few times in the past and never got a bad vibe that they were trying to push a firearm off onto me. I went into the store the last week of April/early May searching for an early 20th century s/s shotgun, not necessarily a short-barrel style. Met Marvin almost at the door, he was was quite friendly. Explained what I was looking for and why. He showed me several used models that were on the rack. Marvin seemed very drawn to a Damascus barreled model as he explained several times what would happen if one tried to fire it with modern loads. Since he didn't have exactly what I was looking for, Marvin took my name and phone number if that certain shotgun came in. I'm glad the employees know their way around because the floor area seems so crowded. I'll keep checking in, hoping that shotgun has come in the door!

Last time I was in it was the middle of the day. Just me and my buddy in the store, 2 employees at the counter. I believe the large older gentleman was the owner. I wasn't looking for anything specific, just taking inventory of what they had to offer. Lots of hand guns, plenty of used stuff, a few AR's some AK's, good ammo selection, etc. Cabella's is killing them!

I have a now retired FFL friend, in another state.He had Online Ordering, so I checked out a purchase... went to SM, talked to Marvin, got the order transfer set to "go" & as a thank you to Marvin, said I would order one of his Ruger's on the same form, for helping me.

My money is transferred to my friend, and a few days, get my Phone call to come by SM.

Well, I have my second purchase lined up, while they are in the back getting my shipped firearms.... Marvin comes out and reams me out, in front of other customers, for buying the weapon at the price I did, stating it was Below HIS Cost!!!

Since he did NOT have the specific rifle in stock, it wasn't even applicable! I stayed true to my promise, and purchased a used Ruger Super Single Six, (with the needed Star stamp) and my way out of the rudeness.

With the used SSS, was the original Sales receipt, it must of been a widow's buy back, as I paid Three Times the cost of the Original Selling Price!

Fool me once shame on me, Marvin never got thee second chance!

philip

Jay and his crew are a bunch of know it alls, and will question anything you ask for. dang dude just sell me what I freaking want, and shut up allready,I dont care what you think you know. and if i wanted your opion id ask you for it.

Last Edited:
Well that is one gun store that will never see me step-in again. The guy was rude from the get-go, annoyed that the gun I was interested in was in the back, didn't want to tell me which model it was and then when I asked the price he quoted $300 over market value ($100 over MSRP). He really seemed annoyed when I asked him if he had quoted me the right price. I'm all for supporting my local dealer, but that attitude, arrogance & flat out price gouging is totally unacceptable.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top