Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Slugs for non-rifled shotgun

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by jdub75, Oct 5, 2009.

1. jdub75

jdub75 PNW Well-Known Member

I've never shot slugs from my shotguns--all of which are smooth barrels. Is there a specific kind of slug I cannot shoot without a rifled barrel? I'm thinking of taking a shotgun class that requires some slugs, and I don't want to be the guy that blows his barrel out in class!:(
    Thanx

2. NoAim

NoAim Hillsboro, OR Active Member

Shoot "rifled slugs" of either Foster or Brennke type. "sabot slugs" will not have any accuracy out of your barrel unless you use a rifled choke.

3. bwells

bwells Longview Member

+1. I shoot regular Federal rifled slugs with a cylinder choke when I'm hunting in the firearm restriction areas, and accuracy with just the bead is acceptable out to about 75 yards. You shouldn't hurt anything shooting sabots, but accurace will be terrible with no rifling.

4. jdub75

jdub75 PNW Well-Known Member

Thanks!
    I really appreciate the input.
    Jdub

5. timbernet

timbernet Boring, Oregon Member

I shoot Remington rifled slugs out of my 870 (no choke, no rifling) and it works fine. I haven't tried it too far out - but it sure works well < 25 yards.

6. wichaka

wichaka Wa State Well-Known Member

Can get pretty good accuracy out of an 18in cylinder barrel with slugs.

7. elsullo

elsullo Portland Oregon New Member

I once had such an 18'' shotty, and with a red-dot scope I hit milk jugs at a hundred yards, three times out of every five. On paper at fifty yards I consistantly grouped four inchers, using ordinary cheap Remington Foster-style slugs. I was amazed!.....................elsullo

8. deadeye

deadeye Albany,OR. Moderator Staff Member

Hornady sabots only like rifled barrels but I have a rifled barrel so that's what I use. Before I bought the rifled barrel I used the copper Remingtons.