JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've never shot slugs from my shotguns--all of which are smooth barrels. Is there a specific kind of slug I cannot shoot without a rifled barrel? I'm thinking of taking a shotgun class that requires some slugs, and I don't want to be the guy that blows his barrel out in class!:(
Thanx

I've never shot slugs from my shotguns--all of which are smooth barrels. Is there a specific kind of slug I cannot shoot without a rifled barrel? I'm thinking of taking a shotgun class that requires some slugs, and I don't want to be the guy that blows his barrel out in class!:(
Thanx

Shoot "rifled slugs" of either Foster or Brennke type. "sabot slugs" will not have any accuracy out of your barrel unless you use a rifled choke.

+1. I shoot regular Federal rifled slugs with a cylinder choke when I'm hunting in the firearm restriction areas, and accuracy with just the bead is acceptable out to about 75 yards. You shouldn't hurt anything shooting sabots, but accurace will be terrible with no rifling.

Can get pretty good accuracy out of an 18in cylinder barrel with slugs.

I once had such an 18'' shotty, and with a red-dot scope I hit milk jugs at a hundred yards, three times out of every five. On paper at fifty yards I consistantly grouped four inchers, using ordinary cheap Remington Foster-style slugs. I was amazed!.....................elsullo

Thanx

Hornady sabots only like rifled barrels but I have a rifled barrel so that's what I use. Before I bought the rifled barrel I used the copper Remingtons.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top