JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I need(wait,I'm not married) want a slug gun.
For hunting whatever.I do have a duck gun so a spare barrel doesn't matter.Rifled barrel too

A 12 gauge I could use for the rare elk opportunity,but a 20 would kill anything else I would need this for,no?
Some of the sabots are reaching 2000fps!?

Anyway,I know the Remmy 870 is a popular one,how about the Mossberg?
Any other choices? Maybe a scope?

If you're going to shoot slugs, get a real slug gun/barrel.

Savage 220
Ithaca Model 37 Deerslayer (my personal favorite, I've filled the freezer many times with one)
Browning A-bolt 12 gauge (used only, pretty big $)

The 20 gauge would do just fine for anything that needs dropping, in my opinion.

Since you're not married, price is not a concern, right?

I have a simple Winchester 1300 (same platform as a Defender) with a 22" rifled barrel and rifle sights. I'm not brand-picky here, it's just what I have.

Take a look at the Remington Premier Accutip Bonded jacketed Sabot Slug.

LINK

1850 fps in 2 3/4"
58 caliber
385 grain projectile.
Jacket is stronger cartridge brass, not copper.
Hollow point with plastic pointed tip for ballistics.
More than 95% weight retention on impact.
Petal style expansion to almost 1" across.
Accurate to 200 yards
Requires rifled barrel.

http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=104860

This is the baddest, nastiest round I know of for brush hunting which can be fired from a light weight, affordable gun. (50 BMG not considered affordable or light weight, LOL.)

-snip-

Anyway,I know the Remmy 870 is a popular one,how about the Mossberg?
Any other choices? Maybe a scope?

I don't have and don't need a scope for 200 yards, and by far most brush shots are closer. If I got one, it would be very low powered (2x?) and it would be a shotgun scope. There's little worse than seeing an animal up close in brush and trying to find him in a 9x scope, LOL.

As for brands, I have nothing against any you mentioned. I tend to buy mint used guns because I can get (and did) a beautiful older Wingmaster for the price of a new 870 Express.

If I was setting out to look for one for your purpose, my first choice would be the semi-auto Remington 1100, about 20 years old and in mint condition. I have one in 22" with rifle sights but a smooth bore. Seems like I paid well under $300 for it and it looks new except that the walnut grade and checkering, and metal finish is nicer than new ones.

Cliff

A guy asked me why I would need a scope on a 22
I said I can't see the first hole from 50yds.

That's why the scope.Eyes getting old.
But I'm not planning on a 200yd shot with it.

I'm thinking after the hunting season is over,I'll start a lookin' around.Should be a couple then.

Thanks again for the ideas

I'd watch gunbroker. It seems not too many guys around here use shotguns for brush hunting, but in the Midwest and places in the East, shotguns are required. I suppose on the one hand it has to do with flat land, and on the other, severe crowding.

22" rifle sight shotguns are "everywhere" back there and all but one of mine have come from there.

Due to the same factors, they seem to be cheaper from there too, even with shipping and FFL fees. Now, I'm talking about higher quality guns, not the Rem. Express variety. For sure, the selection is better.

Cliff

I have been looking into this also.
I've been pondering a break-open single shot rifled slug gun that's sitting on the local gun store's shelf. I believe it's an H&R. It's a heavy barreled 20" (?) one.

I was thinking it might be a decent elk killer with certain sabots.
Any thoughts?

If it's not rifled, I'm unaware of any Sabots that aren't for rifled barrels although there could be plenty I don't know about.

There are regular lead slugs with riflings in the slugs themselves for smooth bores, and there are lead slugs without rifling for rifled barrels. I've read that the rifled slugs really don't generate much if any spin in a smooth bore but I can't swear to that.

Everyone has his favorite. For me for brush hunting, it's a rifled barrel repeater in 12ga with sabot slugs.

If it's not rifled, I'm unaware of any Sabots that aren't for rifled barrels although there could be plenty I don't know about.

There are regular lead slugs with riflings in the slugs themselves for smooth bores, and there are lead slugs without rifling for rifled barrels. I've read that the rifled slugs really don't generate much if any spin in a smooth bore but I can't swear to that.

Everyone has his favorite. For me for brush hunting, it's a rifled barrel repeater in 12ga with sabot slugs.

This is all that I have heard too.
Sabots for rifled and rifled slugs for smooth bore.But the rifled slugs don't fly as far or as accurately.

I once saw a magazine on this subject,years ago.Couldn't figure out why someone would spend so much on a slug gun.Then a east coast hunter told me the east coast is almost all shotgun only,no rifles at all.

Then I understood why they were paying in the $1000s for these.

I guess I will have to look at the east coast.

Oh and madwulf,most H&Rs are great shotguns for grouse and the like.I guess with a rifled slug they would be good for up to 75 yds?

What's the deal any way?Do most just bypass the shotgun only areas around here?

Certainly not all of the east coast areas require slugs (or buckshot), but a lot do. I grew up in upstate NY in a shotgun and handgun only area. When not using rifled slugs, we used Thompson Contenders chambered in 35 Rem. Makes a lot of sense, doesn't it?

In our smoothbores, we used 1.5-2.5x sights and would sight around 65-75 yards. When we switched to rifled barrels, we would run about 1" high at 75 yards. Plenty of deer were taken at 100-125 yards, although the drop was severe. Plenty of impact, though. These were in the pre-sabot days.