JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Then real tank and a howitzer. This is a lot more interesting IMO; it appears that the cannon projectile is not very stable - it seems to wobble. Then the 152mm howitzer projectile is deflected by watermelons. I didn't expect that.

Damn, that was fun to watch. Made me think of a while back watching an interview with a WWII vet who's job was fixing up tanks that had been hit but were able to be serviceable again. He described having to climb in and clean up the human debris left all over inside so they could patch them up and get them back in service. Talk about the job from hell. I have to guess it maybe was better than being the poor souls who had to then get in the tanks and go back to fight though. :(

Then real tank and a howitzer. This is a lot more interesting IMO; it appears that the cannon projectile is not very stable - it seems to wobble. Then the 152mm howitzer projectile is deflected by watermelons. I didn't expect that.

LOL, they were standing almost in line with the angle of the muzzle break. With just earplugs. "I'm ready to feel the boom!" :D

1) "LOL, they were standing almost in line with the angle of the muzzle break. With just earplugs. "I'm ready to feel the boom!"
I'll bet he now has tinnitus for the rest of his life. Tankers and artillery troops tend to get deaf.

2) The yawing of the projectile before it "settles down" isn't a surprise. Rifles do the same thing.

My guess is they were light loaded practice / training / demonstration rounds.
That was all odd.

Adreeg.

Having watched both Soviet and East German artillery troops actually firing the 152mm D-20 gun/how, as you can on Youtube, there is no way on earth that that was anything more than a starter load to get an effect, and not a full-on projectile and even short-range range charge. The D-20 is quite a heavy piece, and AFAIK, in the USA you are only permitted to fire guns like this, including the tank gun, with a BP charge, and NOT the correct cordite load.

The D-20 in action lifts off the ground, and that projectile sure as **** would NOT be deflected by a bunch of lined-up melons.

You can also see this gun in action at one of the shoot-ups where owners get to cut loose with their possessions for the public to enjoy, and even pay for to shoot. With the D-20, even $200 a pop can seem like a fun deal.

Comment from a former 'user' - Nice to see that gun at civilian use. I trained with same model at my military service one time. Seems like they are shooting inert practice grenades (no detonator and explosive material). We had high explosive fragmentation grenades (weight 57 kg) and separated shell casing holding the cordite. Also seems that they are with shooting low amount of cordite. It was fun to shoot, specially direct fire targets, but this model has been out of service now for years. a grenade was absolutely devastating for practice targets.. 7 kg of high explosive, 50 kg of fragmenting material and impact detonator.

Here's a team of Hungarians back in 2019 on Grafenwoehr Ranges, Germany...

Last Edited:
Adreeg.

Having watched both Soviet and East German artillery troops actually firing the 152mm D-20 gun/how, as you can on Youtube, there is no way on earth that that was anything more than a starter load to get an effect, and not a full-on projectile and even short-range range charge. The D-20 is quite a heavy piece, and AFAIK, in the USA you are only permitted to fire guns like this, including the tank gun, with a BP charge, and NOT the correct cordite load.

The D-20 in action lifts off the ground, and that projectile sure as **** would NOT be deflected by a bunch of lined-up melons.

You can also see this gun in action at one of the shoot-ups where owners get to cut loose with their possessions for the public to enjoy, and even pay for to shoot. With the D-20, even $200 a pop can seem like a fun deal.

Comment from a former 'user' - Nice to see that gun at civilian use. I trained with same model at my military service one time. Seems like they are shooting inert practice grenades (no detonator and explosive material). We had high explosive fragmentation grenades (weight 57 kg) and separated shell casing holding the cordite. Also seems that they are with shooting low amount of cordite. It was fun to shoot, specially direct fire targets, but this model has been out of service now for years. a grenade was absolutely devastating for practice targets.. 7 kg of high explosive, 50 kg of fragmenting material and impact detonator.

A big giveaway - especially with the D-20 - (and it seemed a cutesy theme) was the fact they seemed to want to stand in the muzzle brake wash for effect and giggles when they fired.

A big giveaway - especially with the D-20 - (and it seemed a cutesy theme) was the fact they seemed to want to stand in the muzzle brake wash for effect and giggles when they fired.

Well, Sir, I obviously can't make any judgement about what kind of kick a pair of ner- I mean inquisitive, fun-loving quasi-scientists get from that kind of thing, but I can tell you that over half a mile away from a gun line of eighteen D-20's you can clearly feel that slap in the face from the firing concussion.

Imagine standing three feet away from a guy with an 18" barrel .300 Win Mag and muzzle brake....

I'm well used to watching big artillery going bang from the firing end, and I'm telling anybody who will listen that that load was near a blank-firing charge as I've ever seen - just enough to get the proj moving and wobbling, like any projectile does if it isn't rotating fast enough ex-muzzle.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top