JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I wanted to build an AR-10/308 in September 2016, but didn't know enough about the AR-10/308 platform to try to build one. I was still trying to find this lower too, but it was sold out wherever I looked. I thought that I would unable to buy a stripped lower in CA in 2017, but the CA DOJ and the liberal anti-gun politicians didn't see it as a threat. I bought this Aero Precision FDE M5 lower from Schuyler Arms at the end of January.
17352157_1437154809670592_3122749146405548386_n.jpg

February was kind of slow, so I had to wait until March to get my first order in. I found B.Kings firearms online- great prices on Aero Precision parts, good service and quick shipping.
17264955_1437154939670579_4722315952568276830_n.jpg

I got bored the other day and decided to put the lower receiver together.
17308778_1437155506337189_5152413426193465238_n.jpg

I'm planning to get my next parts order in a week or two.

Geno

Nice. I have an Aero 6.5 Creedmoor upper I'm building that is in the same state. I think I just need to get a gas block and tube but haven't had time to dig through the parts pile and see what I really need.

I pulled the trigger on this tonight- Faxon 20" stainless fluted .308 barrel.
17440135_1444876548898418_980487063_n.jpg
I know some are probably wondering why I went with the Faxon barrel over the Ballistic Advantage stainless barrel- I wanted a nitrided finish, and the BA bead blasted finish is just too bright for me. The fluting and lighter weight are a bonus.

Geno

Too jealous. Have fun with it! I've been considering skipping the ar15 build and going straight to 308.. More reading to do.
I built 2 AR-15s (both on Spike's lowers) , bought a Sig 716, before learned enough about the AR-10/308 platform to attempt to build one from parts. A comparable M5E1 build bought from the factory with the parts I'm using would push close to $2k, so in my case it pays to build it. I can also make the build somewhat "affordable"-lol.

Geno

I was thinking about the 716 also.. I expect I may go that route but we will see. Ive been looking into the Aero stuff and the uppers are sold out everywhere. Schuyler is the only place I've found one and it's complete/fde. Good deal though seems like.

I was thinking about the 716 also.. I expect I may go that route but we will see. Ive been looking into the Aero stuff and the uppers are sold out everywhere. Schuyler is the only place I've found one and it's complete/fde. Good deal though seems like.
Aero is not only popular in the Pacific Northwest, but all over the country- the good news is they are pretty good about keeping their dealers and distributors stocked with product. And availability is pretty good all over too. The only thing that will take some searching for is the stripped lowers- it took me almost 3 months to find mine.

Geno

I've been working on my own LR308 build myself, I started off with a Tennessee Arms hybrid polymer lower as the base. I've never tried a build on the poly lowers and thought what the heck? I picked up a Aero Precision M5E 20" last week, I couldn't purchase all the parts as cheap as they sold the upper (minus BCG and charging handle) From what I've see thus far AP makes some nice pieces and parts!

Just got a pic from my FFL of my lower, upper and handguard fresh from the cerakoter- what happens when you order your parts separately. Fortunately he covered the cost of the cerakote- looks to be a nice job. I should see the builder kit in a few days.

Geno
4-27-17_ lower w upper_ handguard_KAE Firearms.jpg

My 'builder kit' finally came back from cerakote- APs FDE is definitely browner than Magpul's FDE, but I still like it.

20170501_134530.jpg
With most of the parts in, I got off early thanks to all of the May Day marches in Downtown LA (working construction a block away from Pershing Square) and was able to assemble the M5 yesterday.
20170501_135420.jpg
Since I didn't buy the upper from Aero Precision, I'll have to do a headspace check later.
20170501_180212.jpg
Here's the finished product- optics and mount are coming.
20170501_193348.jpg

Geno

Are those non CA compliant features I see, or am I mistaken? Adjustable stock, threaded barrel, 20 rd mag, shoulder thing that goes up etc. I also thought you had to have a mechanism to fuse the mag in place so you had to break it down to load it.

Are those non CA compliant features I see, or am I mistaken? Adjustable stock, threaded barrel, 20 rd mag, shoulder thing that goes up etc. I also thought you had to have a mechanism to fuse the mag in place so you had to break it down to load it.

The CA DOJ can't even get it's $hit squared away enough on protocol regarding AR-type sport rifles, so they can KISS my RED, WHITE, and BLUE a$$. I shoot in the desert anyways, so I'm not concerned with laws made by liberal politicians who created laws to exempt themselves from such laws as 10-rd mags, ridiculous devices that prevent magazine changes, "evil features", etc. These same politicians also benefit from taxpayer-paid security and live in gated communities, so they don't have to worry about home invasion robbers like the rest of us Californians.

Geno

The CA DOJ can't even get it's $hit squared away enough on protocol regarding AR-type sport rifles, so they can KISS my RED, WHITE, and BLUE a$$. I shoot in the desert anyways, so I'm not concerned with laws made by liberal politicians who created laws to exempt themselves from such laws as 10-rd mags, ridiculous devices that prevent magazine changes, "evil features", etc. These same politicians also benefit from taxpayer-paid security and live in gated communities, so they don't have to worry about home invasion robbers like the rest of us Californians.

Geno

I wholeheartedly agree. I simply question the wisdom of posting proof on the Internet.

slimer,
All of my rifles are configured this way- the factory-built ones also went through a CA gun store, were inspected, approved for transfer to me, DROS paid, which means the CA DOJ approved their configuration.

As to the fitment of a standard capacity magazine, who's to say I wasn't in AZ visiting a friend at the time the picture was taken?

Geno

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads