JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Are Northwest recreational shooters a legion of pigs?

A pair of public meetings slated May 15 in Ellensburg and the following evening in Selah are very likely to put at least some recreational shooters on the spot, and perhaps rightly so, as the Department of Fish & Wildlife takes a hard look at safety issues and possible solutions to problems on the agency’s Wenas Wildlife Area.

<broken link removed>

It might not even be the shooters bringing stuff in, they just might be someone else's junk and they're too cheap to pay to dump. Then the shooters are using it for "practice". But two wrongs don't make a right either!

I would have to say there is a problem out there. I live just 10 minutes from the LT Murray and I shoot out there quite often. I only shoot in the designated shooting areas and there are only two on my side of the hill. On more then one occasion I have had to ask people to pick up there garbage and have stopped people from building fires especially in the dry time of the year. I have actually had to stop shooting with most of my friends because they will not pickup after them self's. I do not understand why people have to destroy what we all enjoy to use. There are so many areas that have been shutdown because people are pigs and then they get mad they cant go there anymore, why can't they learn. I would have no problem turning in law breakers, if turning in people that leave there stuff and shoot up garbage is the only way to keep it open. Tell me were to sign up I have no problem with that. I work hard and take care of my surroundings so that I and future generations can enjoy what I do. I will be attending that meeting. Thanks Dave for bringing it to are attention.

Chuck

It might not even be the shooters bringing stuff in, they just might be someone else's junk and they're too cheap to pay to dump. Then the shooters are using it for "practice". But two wrongs don't make a right either!

Its both. I have been way out scouting and seen people dumping trash were they think no one will notice, and if I say something most people just flip me off. I have asked people at the range to pickup or we will loose the place to shoot and had them walk out with a shotgun and shoot it tell it was splinters.

Once a guy I knew wanted me to go out and shoot wine bottles, I told him fine you bringing a dust ban and broom. He has never asked me to go again and I wound not even if he did.

Its so bad that even at the private club ($200.00 per year membership) I belong to we have had people purposly shooting up lane markers and target holders.

Out in the woods its such that I just don't go unless I am hunting and then only areas I know to not allow public access.

Dad made us kids pickup our .22 shells now you see a dump truck worth of crap at every wide spot in the road in some places.

I was told by a ranger that if it was not for the muzzleloader club voluntarily cleaning up the range on the LT every year it would have been closed already.

Last Edited:
It's pretty unfortunate that this stuff goes on. I shoot off of Durr road with some frequency when the weather doesn't allow me to access my favorite spot, and it's unreal the amount of garbage up there. Appliances, furniture, etc, etc, etc. Not to mention, shell casings. Lots and lots of shell casings. I always leave with more shell casings than I shoot, and generally some miscellaneous garbage as well. A lot of the people who go up there and leave their shooting debris are younger, newer shooters. It isn't that they're being malicious, or don't care about the area, I think it's frequently that they just don't know any better. As shooters we need to make it socially unacceptable to leave junk behind, and do a better job of policing our own community, with the help of law enforcement when necessary.

I was told by a ranger that if it was not for the muzzleloader club voluntarily cleaning up the range on the LT every year I would have been closed already.

This sounds similar to the dirt bike situation. Clubs have to step in and volunteer to do cleanups. Otherwise it would turn into mayhem and be shut down.
Plus, cleaning up a place makes it less inviting to dump on.

If you're driving around in a VW microbus with a pile of garbage and you see another pile dumped down a hill, are you going to use shovels and rakes and impliments of destruction to bring that pile up? No, you'll dump your pile down.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top