JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Thanks to Snew for the 4oz of Slip 2000 carbon killer to test out.

I've been running a lot of rounds thru the new 10/22 to break it in and get some practice with it. Since blowback operated guns are filthy it seemed like a good chance to try out some new cleaner, the Slip 2000 carbon killer.

The Good:
The S2k cleaned off the old dirty grease very nicely, and was easy to use. The scent wasn't offensive, just a mild citrus odor. The soft carbon where the grease had been blown off cleaned up nicely too.

The Bad:
Moving on to something harder (literally) I next tried the S2k on the old, crusty, carbon the builds up inside the AK74 brake's expansion chamber. The only chemical I've ever found that softens that baked on crap soft enough to be scraped off is Break-Free bore cleaning foam. Will the S2k fare any better?

No. After 3 hours of soaking a rag saturated in S2k packed inside of the brake, the carbon was just as hard and crusty was when I started. I won't say that the S2k didn't have any effect, but it did not kill the hardened carbon.

S2K vs Simple Green Extreme Aircraft cleaner.
Since I still wanted to clean the Ruger BX-25 mags that I'd recently run 1k rounds thru, I though a A-B comparison would be in order.

Half the mags were cleaned with S2k and the other half with SGE.

I'd be hard pressed to say I noticed any difference in ease of cleaning between S2k and SGE diluted 1:1 with water. Both removed the soft carbon, old lube, and particles adequately.

The Ugly:
Slip 2000 carbon killer runs from $45 to $63 a gallon. Simple Green Extreme aircraft cleaner runs $18-$20 a gallon. Plus, you're actually supposed to dilute SGE 1:1 to 1:10 with water, making it $9 to make a gallon of actual cleaner.

TLDR version:

Both S2k and SGE work pretty well. Slip 2000 carbon killer costs way more for no better cleaning ability.

H

I'm curious about SG Extreme aircraft cleaner. Planes are aluminum. I wonder if "extreme" for aluminum is weak for steel. In other words, I'm just curious if an aluminum cleaner is really all that great compared to Simple Green. I will admit I haven't tried it.

Thanks for the info.
We need more honest comparison data like this.
There are too many rust preventives, lubes and cleaners out there that just don't work!
On top of that, they are expensive.
It's great to find the ones that really work.

Blue Skies!

I'm curious about SG Extreme aircraft cleaner. Planes are aluminum. I wonder if "extreme" for aluminum is weak for steel. In other words, I'm just curious if an aluminum cleaner is really all that great compared to Simple Green. I will admit I haven't tried it.

I hadn't thought of that. I don't normally like the regular SG as I hate the smell. I'll give it a try after the rifle match and I have a fresh coating of carbon in the brake.

H

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top