JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Anyone know if it is legal to hunt small game with a slingshot. Like when I am elk hunting, could I use a slingshot instead of taking a rabbit with my 300 mag.

I am talking about Oregon, but I am curious about other states too. (I looked at ODFW's site) but did not see any info. Anyone know?

Second questions, if it was legal, anyone out there know of a slingshot to recommend, or how one goes about finding the right one? I don't want anything heavy or that takes a lot of space, as it is going to be with me as an extra...

I don't know about the law for hunting with slingshots in Oregon, but I can make a recommendation or two for a good slingshot - I own quite a few myself.

One of the better commercially made models I've used is the Scout. It's $40 and can be banded with different bands based on what you want to do. It's light weight, but very strong. Banded with Theraband gold, the right technique and ammo, and you could definitely bring down small game without a problem. The Rambone (a Joerg Sprave design), is also a great choice. I have both and like both.

I've tried a few slingbows and honestly don't care for them much. Some good 1/2" - 5/8" lead or steel shot in a good slingshot is very effective.

SimpleShot is a decent site to buy some slingshots, accessories and ammo, but you can shop around online for other options too.

Here are 2 links:

The Scout™ Slingshot

Rambone 2.0

Ask Dennis the Menace...? :D

I'm sure that one could take small game with a sling shot...just not sure if its legal to do so....I'll have to look into this...
Andy

It's not uncommon in places like the UK to use slingshots for small game - birds, rabbits, squirrels, etc. I've heard of slightly larger animals like small coyotes being taken too. With a sling bow, I've seen videos on YT taking deer, etc. Still, wouldn't be my personal choice, were I a hunter, to take that larger game with a slingshot/slingbow.

If you find out, please do post it. Would be curious to know the rules for hunting in OR and WA. Though I think for your typical 'pest' species like squirrels, etc., I don't know that it would be necessarily regulated one way or another.

I used to be on an international slingshot forum. Hunting with slingshots is fairly common outside the US where other weapons like guns are not available or allowed. Met quite a few folks that do it.

A quick search led me to "Slingshot Forum .com"
Where they say for Oregon ...Yes for Predatory and nuisance animals....and Yes again for Washington in regards to "unclassified wildlife"...whatever each of those internet facts mean....:D
Andy

A quick search led me to "Slingshot Forum .com"
Where they say for Oregon ...Yes for Predatory and nuisance animals....and Yes again for Washington in regards to "unclassified wildlife"...whatever each of those internet facts mean....:D
Andy

Well, so long as the internet says it's okay....:rolleyes:;):p

I am not sure where or if they are still made, back in the mid seventies, we have wrist rockets that were nearly a commercial grade. There was two arm bands one that rested, and the second strapped. It was way more lethal, then our 22lr or bb guns. But only see slingshots with one strap now days, and they are not hefty like the ones we had. I knew my dad ordered them thru the city office he worked thru. Wonder if they make these now.

Oregon's hunting regs are very specific as to weapons allowed for GAME birds, BIG GAME and WESTERN GRAY SQUIRRELS. Basically sling shots are not on the list. See pg 12 of the current game bird regs under legal hunting methods and pg 18 of the big game regs under legal hunting weapons for game mammals.

The kicker is these restrictions apply to GAME animals and birds. Rabbits are not considered game animals in Oregon. From page 65 of the current big game regs:

Unprotected mammals are not covered under the game mammal, furbearer, or sensitive species rules. For unprotected mammals, there are no closed seasons or bag limits. However, a hunting license is required and all general hunting regulations still apply. Commonly hunted unprotected mammals include coyote, cottontail rabbits, black-tailed jackrabbit, opossum, nutria, California ground squirrel, and Belding's ground squirrels.

A hunting license is required, you still have to follow general hunting regulations (pg 16) but the weapons restrictions do not apply. Same goes for the list of unprotected birds on pg 11 of the current bird regs:

All birds except starling, house sparrow, Eurasian collared-dove, and rock pigeon are protected by federal and/or state laws and may not be taken without authorization. Contact the law enforcement branch of the USFWS
for Federal regulations regarding take at 503-682-6131.

Eurasian collared doves are particularly tasty and becoming pretty common.

I hunt with a slingshot quite often. Mostly rabbits. Have taken a few grouse as well. I asked an odfw official about it one weekend hunting rabbits. His response was, "for what you're hunting, its fine".
My tip for a slingshot is to avoid wrist braced models. They are a hindrance to accuracy.
For ammo, .440 lead ball's for muzzleloaders work fantastic. Fast speed and very hard hitting. I've used .454's as well but they require much stronger bands/tubes to get the speed up.

The concept has always intrigued me but I don't think I have ever hit anything of intent with a slingshot.
I might hit a giant, but at the best just to piss him off royally!

I had a wristrocket as a kid. Good times. I think I need to re-examine this genre of human generated projectile velocity.
Thanks for the great links all!

I hunt with a slingshot quite often. Mostly rabbits. Have taken a few grouse as well. I asked an odfw official about it one weekend hunting rabbits. His response was, "for what you're hunting, its fine".
My tip for a slingshot is to avoid wrist braced models. They are a hindrance to accuracy.
For ammo, .440 lead ball's for muzzleloaders work fantastic. Fast speed and very hard hitting. I've used .454's as well but they require much stronger bands/tubes to get the speed up.
Thanks @Blowgunner

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top