JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have an issue mostly with my G29 and hot 10mm loads. Sometimes it seems if the loads are xx-hot, the slide stays open after firing with rounds left in the magazine.

Recoil spring not strong enough?

Are you riding the slide lock lever? Maybe your hand placement is such thay with hot loads you ride the lever putting enough force to engage it. Change your grip and try it out.

Also if you've worked on the pistol and pulled the slide lock out, make sure that the hook and locking pin is set properly when you put it back in.

As the user above said, could be your grip. Try what he suggested or even firing one handed for several rounds and see if it continues to happen.

Completely different than a g29, but I can't 2 handed grip my Ruger LC9s, because my thumb kept bumping the slide lock open with near on every shot. So yeah, give checking your grip a try.

I switched to a modified grip, where my off hand supports under my dominant hand. Or just single hand. I figure, with that gun anyways, it's more than likely I may be needing to use my offhand for something else anyways (cellphone, flashlight etc).

No - the grip is fine. I actually had the opposite problem - slide would not stay open after the last round - before. This was because of the grip. Which I have since corrected.

The stay open only happens with the G29, which has it's original spring. But not with the G20 whish has a stronger, 22lbs spring.

I think the question at this point, is it a matter of the slide stop locking the gun open or is it something else? If it's the slide stop, it's not your recoil spring, rather it's an operator problem (unless somehow there's so much recoil when the slide hit's the full-rearward position it gooses the slide stop up).

The only other way you could be getting a stoppage related to the return spring is if it's not able to strip off the next round in the magazine. Which you could determine simply, when it "sticks" in the rear position, simply pushing forward would clear the stoppage.

Do you need xx hot loads?

It may be the recoil spring.

You can try a stronger one, but messing with them can cause more issues. If you switch back to normal loads you may experience more issues.

It's better to find a round that is powerful but not too hot for the pistol, shooting xx hot loads through a glock may cause failure.

when it locks out do you have to bump the back of the slide or just release the slide lever?

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top