Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Slide Engraving

Discussion in 'Maintenance & Gunsmithing' started by cwesty, Nov 18, 2009.

1. cwesty

cwesty SW Portland New Member

My wife and I are expecting our first child this March and I want to buy him a 1911 and engrave it with his name and birthdate...
    Anybody know someone local that you'd trust to engrave the slide on a new $1200 Colt?

2. Cougfan2

Cougfan2 Hillsboro, OR Well-Known Member

Wow. The only recommendation I could make is to check around with some of the high end jewelers in town. Many of them do engraving on keepsakes and accessories like business card holders and the like.

Or..........for $25.00 I have a dremel tool. :laugh:

3. Cougfan2

Here's another idea. If you can't find someone to engrave the slide, get a custom set of grips made and have his name and birth date inlayed with Silver or some other material. I think folks like "Wicked Grips" will do that type of work.

4. PlayboyPenguin

PlayboyPenguin Pacific Northwest Well-Known Member 2016 Volunteer

I have always found that a nice set of engraved grips is best for a 1911 but since this is something you will want to stay in the family I can see engraving the slide.

You can just take it to a jeweler. make sure you buy a stainless gun though. You will not face finish damage issues like you will with a blued gun being engraved.

I have the slide on my Detonics engraved locally. It cost $12 at one of those engraving places at the mall and only took 10 minutes. A nice jeweler can do a better job at making it fancy and perfect though. :)

FinishedSlide.jpg

5. cwesty

Alright, jewelry shop it is (although your dremel tool is tempting cougfan). For some reason I had it in my mind that I'd need to find a specialty gun shop to do it, but I suppose that simple word engraving would be perfect for a jewelry shop.

I did think about just doing the grips, but I kinda want this to be a permenant piece of family history, so the slide seemed more fitting.

6. Cougfan2

If you do plan on keeping it as a family heirloom, then engraving the slide makes a lot of sense, but hey, put some cool grips on it to! :thumbup:

7. MarkSBG

MarkSBG Beaverton Oregon Well-Known Member

Great idea and congratulations on the addition!

8. MarkSBG

MarkSBG Beaverton Oregon Well-Known Member

I meant congratulations on the addition to your family, but I suppose congratulations are needed for the addition to your collection!

9. .45's and .38's

.45's and .38's Happy Valley OR Well-Known Member

I cant believe you can take a gun slide to the mall to get engraved. Nice. So jewelers that do engraving should have no problem doing a slide for you?

10. twoclones

twoclones Tri-Cities, WA Well-Known Member

Smith and Wesson offers custom engraving on their guns so I'd expect Colt offers similar service. The up side of that is they'd have a replacement on hand in the event of a typo ;)

11. cwesty

Great! I'll poke around the Colt website and give 'em a call if I need to. I called a couple jewelry shops and both said they wouldn't have a problem doing it, but the peace of mind that would come with having Colt do it seems like it'd be worth whatever they charge.

12. Trlsmn

Trlsmn In Utero (Portland) Well-Known Member

Wow you are brave! :laugh:

13. SWCR

SWCR Sedro-Woolley, WA Member

14. bnr32gtr

bnr32gtr Vancouver, WA Member

Now that is art!! Wow! I just wish I could afford to have a couple guns done by him! Thanks for the link! :thumbup:

15. .45's and .38's

.45's and .38's Happy Valley OR Well-Known Member

200 for the PPK engraving sounds like a good deal.