JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
My wife and I are expecting our first child this March and I want to buy him a 1911 and engrave it with his name and birthdate...
Anybody know someone local that you'd trust to engrave the slide on a new $1200 Colt?

Wow. The only recommendation I could make is to check around with some of the high end jewelers in town. Many of them do engraving on keepsakes and accessories like business card holders and the like.

Or..........for $25.00 I have a dremel tool. :s0114:

Here's another idea. If you can't find someone to engrave the slide, get a custom set of grips made and have his name and birth date inlayed with Silver or some other material. I think folks like "Wicked Grips" will do that type of work.

I have always found that a nice set of engraved grips is best for a 1911 but since this is something you will want to stay in the family I can see engraving the slide.

You can just take it to a jeweler. make sure you buy a stainless gun though. You will not face finish damage issues like you will with a blued gun being engraved.

I have the slide on my Detonics engraved locally. It cost $12 at one of those engraving places at the mall and only took 10 minutes. A nice jeweler can do a better job at making it fancy and perfect though. :)

FinishedSlide.jpg

Alright, jewelry shop it is (although your dremel tool is tempting cougfan). For some reason I had it in my mind that I'd need to find a specialty gun shop to do it, but I suppose that simple word engraving would be perfect for a jewelry shop.

I did think about just doing the grips, but I kinda want this to be a permenant piece of family history, so the slide seemed more fitting.

Alright, jewelry shop it is (although your dremel tool is tempting cougfan). For some reason I had it in my mind that I'd need to find a specialty gun shop to do it, but I suppose that simple word engraving would be perfect for a jewelry shop.

I did think about just doing the grips, but I kinda want this to be a permenant piece of family history, so the slide seemed more fitting.

If you do plan on keeping it as a family heirloom, then engraving the slide makes a lot of sense, but hey, put some cool grips on it to! :s0155:

I have always found that a nice set of engraved grips is best for a 1911 but since this is something you will want to stay in the family I can see engraving the slide.

You can just take it to a jeweler. make sure you buy a stainless gun though. You will not face finish damage issues like you will with a blued gun being engraved.

I have the slide on my Detonics engraved locally. It cost $12 at one of those engraving places at the mall and only took 10 minutes. A nice jeweler can do a better job at making it fancy and perfect though. :)

FinishedSlide.jpg

I cant believe you can take a gun slide to the mall to get engraved. Nice. So jewelers that do engraving should have no problem doing a slide for you?

Great! I'll poke around the Colt website and give 'em a call if I need to. I called a couple jewelry shops and both said they wouldn't have a problem doing it, but the peace of mind that would come with having Colt do it seems like it'd be worth whatever they charge.

FinishedSlide.jpg

Wow you are brave! :s0114:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews