Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

slide drops when loaded mag inserted,on lots of pistols these days. normal ???

Discussion in 'Handgun Discussion' started by Throckmorton, Dec 15, 2013.

1. Throckmorton

Throckmorton Florence,Ore ah gone Well-Known Member

There is a HUGE discussion going on in the reloading room,on facebook.
    A fella has a brand new M&P from 'Smith,and when he inserts loaded mags the slide drops.
    A whole bunch of people say this is normal with 'newer' combat-oriented semi-autos,of many different brands.
    Some say it is designed-in frame flex.

I say BULL SQUAT. None of the shooters at my thursday night shoot have slides dropping 'unintenionally' when doing fast mag changes ,or slow ones.

what do you think gang,? I think this is a dangerous design flaw,not something that should happen by its' self .
    I know my 1911 does not ever do that,yet some of the folks their say their 1911's do it all the time.

what say you,am I out of the loop on pistol operation ?

2. Blitzkrieg

Blitzkrieg WA Well-Known Member

Some do, Tokarevs are famous for it and they were designed off the 1911

3. Mark W.

Mark W. Silverton, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

None of my semi autos do this and I have semi autos of various designs.

4. Netspirit

Netspirit Bellevue, WA Active Member

It's normal. A lot of polymer guns do that.

It happens when the operator slams the magazine into the frame at a sharp angle, flexing it and causing the slide lock to move down.

It does not mean anything for tactical reloading: you are still supposed to rack the slide regardless what happens during magazine insertion. In the worst case, you lose a round - no big deal for 9mm guns.

Watch Yeager explaining it: How to Reload Your Pistol and Rifle - Part 3 But...But My Slide Goes Forward "Automatically" - YouTube

5. oli700

oli700 Rogue Valley Well-Known Member

I say that they are tapping the bottom of the mag too hard upon insertion with an open slide. That will unhook most slide stops,
    I have inadvertently done it.

6. powermad

powermad Portland Active Member

My P220 doesn't do this but the FNP45 I had did it when a mag was inserted with more force than necessary.
    I had to ram it in to get it to do it. Not really an issue as I don't reload mags like I am trying to stamp out a coin.

7. parallax

parallax eugene, or-gun Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

H&K u.s.p. does it with full mag change.

8. BillM

BillM Amity OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

All my Glocks will do it most of the time with a fully loaded magazine. My wife's M&P
    does it with 10 rds loaded (USPSA Production rules). Heck---my Springfield loaded
    that I use for Single Stack division does it sometimes. Some of is frame flex, some is
    simple physics. A body at rest (slide stop) tends to stay right where it is as you slap
    the frame away from it.

"Dangerous design flaw"??? Nope.

Does it erratically? It's a slight irritation.

Does it reliably every time? That's a Feature.

9. erudne

erudne The Pie Matrix PPL Say Sleeping W/Your Rifle Is A bad Thing? Bronze Supporter

I blame Bush

10. Velzey

Velzey Estacada, Oregon Gunsmith Gunsmith Bronze Vendor Bronze Supporter

Design flaw! They are not suppose to. None of my HK polymer framed pistols do it, But maybe I need to be more aggresive with them. None of my 1911's do it..

11. oknow

oknow amboy wa. Well-Known Member

Never had it happen to me, guess I'm doing it wrong (or right)!!!!

12. slimer13

slimer13 Deer Park Well-Known Member

Pretty common and you can make lots of modern polymer pistols do it if you want to and make them not do it if you don't. It is not a "feature"except on a handful of slightly obscure pistols. Experiment and build muscle memory with reloading methods that do it or dont do it consistently.

13. Mark W.

OK that could be why I have never seen this happen. I don't own any "Polymer framed" pistols All mine are steel or Alloy except my MKIII 22-45rp And I've never slammed the mag in place on it so I don't know.

14. bellarum

bellarum beaverton Well-Known Member

Mine has done it since new. Slide drops about 95% of the time when I slam a mag in. I get to practice overhand racking when it doesn't:) I thought it was weird when it first happened but, when I searched the M&P pistol forum I found that it is quite common.

15. Certaindeaf

Certaindeaf SE Portland Well-Known Member

I guess we'd have to define "normal". It just sounds like it's common, not necessarily "normal" to have so many of these guns drop the slide when inserting a loaded magazine. Few pistols, and fewer modern pistols were/are actually designed to chamber a round upon seating the magazine.

16. coop44

coop44 Tacoma ,WA Well-Known Member

the Mauser HSC was designed this way, there is no external mag release.

17. simon99

simon99 Central Oregon Well-Known Member

Never had any of my service weapons do it with tens of thousands of rounds......

18. Nick Burkhardt

Nick Burkhardt NE Oregon Well-Known Member

It happens more often if you hold the pistol at an angle and spank the magazine in. Hold your pistol vertically and apply constant firm pressure to seat the magazine and the slide should stay locked open.

19. Mark W.

I would consider a firearm that chambered a round when a magazine is inserted to be unsafe. As that would require you to keep the weapon pointed down range when changing magazines. Fine if your at the range very unsafe if your somewhere else. Like standing on cement or between buildings.

20. ogre

ogre Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

Noted...