JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Looking at an idea. I myself don't use forward assists all that much... and well. I've got a bug to build either a 16" Mid Length FSB with flat top, kinda M4, kinda A4 look, or a 18" Rifle length "slightly shorter M16".. with A2 fixed stock, or the current ARFX Skeleton fixed stock lower I already have...
... not sure if I want to also delete the Brunton Bump brass deflector and dust cover (would simplify the build a lot, just need BCG and charging handle), or if I want just no forward assist...

I also plan to put on a rear sight that's either based on the classic simple A1 Field sight or similar to it...

These are the upper receivers I can acquire; just don't know which one would work best for my needs...

Basically the idea? Fixed stock, KISS build with a flat top, and mid length barrel, or slightly shorter M16/Sporter with 18" barrel
AR-15-Slick-Side-Upper-Receiver-Forged-M4-Flat-Top-1000x1000-1000x1000.jpg
DPMS/Circle slick side upper

AP-APAR610401AC_All__99138.jpg
Aero Precision FA-delete

And these are the 3 sights I could acquire;

troy-rear-fixed-sight-battlesight-black-1__02542.jpg
Troy

MI-CBUIS-2__48257.jpg
Midwest Industries

325288_560452fd28b7468ba1c9093b20965726mv2_d_6842_3817_s_4_2-e1583707271597.jpg
Daniel Defense

I already have an extra 5.56 bolt. Would just need carrier and charging handle, then the barrel.

Once you realize all that extra upper crap really isn't necessary, you will likely never go back.

Most of my latest upper builds utilize Anderson plain Jane uppers. They are still forged and still have a deflector. Which is about all you truly need. Unless you're crawling around in a lot of dirt all the time.

I thought Anderson stopped making theirs.. huh. I've had good exp with Aim Surplus, as that's where I got my 6.5 Grendel bolt and a few other things..

Anderson upper on Anderson lower would just be right... lol

Don't know about the upper, but for fixed sights, I keep trying to find an excuse to use these: https://scalarworks.com/shop/iron-sights/peak-01/
Yea.... except I am not planning a railed gas block/monolithic free float tube thing, so I can't justify a matched front/rear nor the $125+ for just the rear....?

Ideally it'd be something like these Diemaco/Colt Canada C7A1/C8A1 flat top back up sights but apparently they're super scarce in the US, hence me looking at Troy, Daniel defense and Midwest Industries..

IybUox9.jpg

The really interesting thing is that these C7A1/C7A2 backup sights aren't mounted to the rear but to the front of the receiver, ahead of the Elcan gun sight. I'm not going for a C7A1/A2 look though. a02d205f3f98e20d1a47f41d697a85c6.jpg qthzz01mcpn8ghi02CDd-o.jpg

That's why I'm looking now instead of saving up for optics. I could try to sell my current SARCO sourced flat top 16" M4 profile .223 Wylde carbine upper minus the RRA rail sight and BCG but....... would there be anyone here wanting it???

I have some uppers with the forward assist, some without and I've never felt like there was any difference in how I operate the rifles. Can't say I ever really use my dust covers, either. Being a lefty the brass deflector is nice, though. My experience with my X95 tells me I don't appreciate eating brass

I looked around at fixed sights for awhile and got one of the UTG super slims:

View attachment 1423651
A2 type that blends well and has a recessed mounting screw.

Found this receiver. Has the traditional lightweight profile, nothing on the sides and an oversized port - but still works fine with .223:

I do have that RRA Dominator 2 Eotech mount that has the A2 style sight, mounted on my flat top .223 Wylde 16" carbine gas with fixed stock.. but I don't think I really need the elevation portion, hence looking at the A1 style backups. DSCF6540.JPG DSCF6539.JPG DSCF6538.JPG DSCF6541.JPG DSCF6543.JPG

+

Plus midlength gas tube, handguard assembly that fits, and pay them to assemble the upper... that should stay under $300 including shipping; if I but all upper parts without BCG/CH in one go?

$200+ the small parts and assembly fee and shipping..

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top