JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I bought a DPMS LR308 with a slick side upper receiver. The rifle has about 60-100 rounds through it. I am considering changing over to the upper receiver with the forward assist, ejection port cover, and shell deflector.

Is there any market for a used upper like this, or would I be stuck with a useless part? If it is a sale-able item, what would be a fair price to ask. I'm not looking to hose anyone, but don't want to just give it away either. Catalog price for a new one is $125.00. Would a price of $75.00 be about right?

Thanks..

$75 would be a fair price but you would probably want to post a national board like ar15.com you will still probabaly have to set on it for a while but some guys on a budget build can't pass up a bargin

btw i have the tools to swop the parts out ,

Just curious...................

I was wondering about the "Sportical" type DPMS rifles. In .308 or .223. They have no dust cover or forward assist. Are these necessary? I've never had to use my forward assists on my other rifles. And if you clean your gun regularly does it need a dust cover?

Any opinions?

Just curious...................

I was wondering about the "Sportical" type DPMS rifles. In .308 or .223. They have no dust cover or forward assist. Are these necessary? I've never had to use my forward assists on my other rifles. And if you clean your gun regularly does it need a dust cover?

Any opinions?

Depends. Forward assist is needed when it gets difficult to push a round into the chamber after shooting a whole bunch of rounds especially with dirty powder, (i.e. ball powders). The dust cover is to prevent dirt into the chamber, like when fighting in the jungle or dessert. For the most of us, our use conditions to not warrant either. My $0.02.

I have listened to lots of "discussions" (probably more accurately arguments) about this topic, and here are what I think were the most reasonable thoughts about it:
1. If your firearm has a round partially jammed into a dirty chamber, all the forward assist will do is jam the round more firmly into the chamber so that it is even more difficult to get out.
2. A forward assist can help out once in a while under certain conditions, but it is iffy.
3. The forward assist isn't needed, and just provides another extra thing to snag on things.
4. Many claim that through many years of shooting the AR15/M16 system, they have never needed the forward assist. One friend of mine removes the system, and plugs the hole.
5. The dust cover is useful under real world battle conditions, but of little use on rifles that are only used for plinking, varmint shooting, or shooting in 3 gun matches.
6. Both the dust cover, and forward assist are unnecessary expenses that drive up cost more than is justified by how often they are TRULY needed (rather than wanted because they look tacti-cool).
7. Eugene Stoner was far smarter than I am, and he designed the rifle without the forward assist..he had to know what he was doing.
8. Either the forward assist, or the dust cover are just more things to break. Proper maintenance makes either unnecessary.

These are not my positions, rather they are positions of people I have listened to while they talked about the two items.

I think it is much easier to make a good case for the usefulness of the dust cover than for the forward assist.

That being said, I want both on my rifle because I'm used to having them, and used to the way they look on the rifle.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top