JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Any of you hunters have a favorite sleeping pad for hunting out of a backpack? Been seriously considering the Sea to Summit Comfort Light, but the thing is just short of $200. Just curious if you all have something else that you like, that is currently on the market?

I used to hack down a bunch of ferns and use them for bedding when I was younger.
They made a comfy bed, and helped insulate from the ground.

That was when I was a kid though.
I'm a side sleeper and find it very hard to sleep on anything other than a bed nowadays

I love and use the winter rated NeoAir xtherm. If you're backpack hunting and don't mind the expense, there's nothing better, as long as you're a person who is careful with your gear. With that and a 20 degree quilt or (later in the season) 10 degree mummy, it is absolute solid gold.

If you don't wanna baby something and don't mind a high volume/non-compressible pad, RidgeRest like @OldTengu says is reasonably priced, bulletproof, and ultralight.

Have had a bunch over the years and we currently own three sleeping pads. All three are REI brand, but I don't patronize them anymore because of their anti-2A stance. One is a Lite-core 1.5", the other two are REI Stratus 2.5" with one being an XL width.

I have a Big Agnes bag and my XL pad doesn't fit inside, so I'll be buying a new pad in the near future. After a ton of research, I'll be going with a Klymit pad, most likely a Static V Insulated model. There are a ton of reviews of them on Moosejaw website if you're interested.

Klymit Lightweight Camping Insulated Sleeping Pads - KLYMIT

If you want to read highly detailed and in-depth reviews of outdoor gear in general (plenty of overlap for backpack hunting), Outdoor Gear Lab puts everything thru the ringer.

Also, MeatEater podcast just had an episode about backpack hunting gear this past week. Amazing conversation and some great tips. Good luck!

Have had a bunch over the years and we currently own three sleeping pads. All three are REI brand, but I don't patronize them anymore because of their anti-2A stance. One is a Lite-core 1.5", the other two are REI Stratus 2.5" with one being an XL width.

I have a Big Agnes bag and my XL pad doesn't fit inside, so I'll be buying a new pad in the near future. After a ton of research, I'll be going with a Klymit pad, most likely a Static V Insulated model. There are a ton of reviews of them on Moosejaw website if you're interested.

You put your pad INSIDE your bag ?
REI has always been anti-gun. I just hold my nose.

You put your pad INSIDE your bag ?
REI has always been anti-gun. I just hold my nose.
I used to hold my nose, but after REI dropping Vista Outdoor products after Parkland shooting, I called it quits on them. There are way too many options nowadays, to buy from people like that. Just my two cents.

As far as sleeping pad going inside the sleeping bag...Big Agnes systems have an integrated full pad sleeve on the bottom so you can slide your pad inside. They don't use any fill on the bottom baffles of the bag, as it's all in the top and sides. Then you pair it with an insulated sleeping pad and that's where the warmth on the bottom comes in. The pad slot works to keep the bottom of the bag on the pad and actually works quite amazingly. I have the Lost Ranger 15 and it's easily the best bag I've ever had. Very warm and extremely roomy. Mine is the older version and looks like this...

upload_2018-8-27_13-41-53.jpeg

Here is the newer model...
Big Agnes Lost Ranger 15°

OK for backpack hunting I go with a closed cell foam now. Every air pad I have had leaked at one point or another over 25 years. 2 Themarests included. One on the skin and one thru the valve. Some years were no problems, but when they don't work..Grrrr:mad:
That's why they include patch kits. I must be rough on them, but I go hard and far in wilderness. Can't have equipment failures.
Good luck if you go the other route. I may not seem as comfortable setup, but it sure is difficult to leave the bag at O:dark thirty. Totally comfy then. :) I have found it's most important is to level and clear sleep area.

For camping it's a different story all together. I have a twin size 4" foam custom from A-1 foam on Stark St. that fits the bed of my Tacoma or goes in the tent on a cot for that sweet, sweet slumber.

I still have my Thermarest pads from 30 years ago backpacking and still use one for elk camp and used one with an egg crate and cot for many wildfire Helibase trips. Later on in my backpacking, I added one of those blow up mattresses with the individual tubes... they always leaked but the package fit inside the pack and the Thermarest rode up top on the outside. The older I got, the more ground pad I needed.

Photos&Scans 415.jpg
North Face external frame pack with tent on top, Thermarest on top of that, and two water bottles. These packs had a separate compartment at the bottom for carrying a sleeping bag. Expensive, but a cheap backpack will hurt you, just like cheap hiking boots. (I know about the boots because I used HiTec EVA boots for the first year, then broke down my feet because of an emergency hike 12miles out to the trailhead. Bought some good Italian Mountaineering boots after that.)

IMO egg crate foam pads are still great, especially with a cot, but if you are walking in and not horse packing, they are way too bulky.

Last year I slept in a tent for elk camp... not a wall tent, a regular tent. Bad idea, I left early even tho I had a cot. What happened was the first night, it was before the others got there, I got a foot of very wet snow that broke one of the tent poles and partially collapsed the tent. This year, I have a 28' trailer and my wife's permission to take it to camp. :D

I still have my Thermarest pads from 30 years ago backpacking and still use one for elk camp and used one with an egg crate and cot for many wildfire Helibase trips. Later on in my backpacking, I added one of those blow up mattresses with the individual tubes... they always leaked but the package fit inside the pack and the Thermarest rode up top on the outside. The older I got, the more ground pad I needed.

View attachment 493233
North Face external frame pack with tent on top, Thermarest on top of that, and two water bottles. These packs had a separate compartment at the bottom for carrying a sleeping bag. Expensive, but a cheap backpack will hurt you, just like cheap hiking boots. (I know about the boots because I used HiTec EVA boots for the first year, then broke down my feet because of an emergency hike 12miles out to the trailhead. Bought some good Italian Mountaineering boots after that.)

IMO egg crate foam pads are still great, especially with a cot, but if you are walking in and not horse packing, they are way too bulky.

Last year I slept in a tent for elk camp... not a wall tent, a regular tent. Bad idea, I left early even tho I had a cot. What happened was the first night, it was before the others got there, I got a foot of very wet snow that broke one of the tent poles and partially collapsed the tent. This year, I have a 28' trailer and my wife's permission to take it to camp. :D
Nice pic and cool story. No substitute for good gear.

That hammock looks dang comfy

The best cot, IMO for truck/car camping.
Made in Spokane.
No cross members to dig into your back. Think hammock.
I have the oversize cot model and my oversize Thermarest nests right in without sliding out.
They do cots, not audio :)

Haven't hunted but have camped in pretty cold weather... so far my favorite.. when there are trees available :rolleyes: hammock with either coleman "self inflate" pad or USGI foam pad and whatever top quilt I have along. I have a couple down bags and a quilt modified Kelty bag, and also a smaller down underquilt made from 2x costco down throws, which can be pretty comfortable for spring/fall but still need more for winters... for winters, I've found the bigger mummy down bag I have, and either pad, and fleece base layer to actually keep me toasty warm.

I've had the same Thermarest since 1983. It has endured hundreds of trips, but on snow, sucks asz.
I'm a back sleeper, but turn on my side a few times every night. Thermarest isn't so good for that kid of sleeping either.
The foam inside broke down long ago, so I inflate it when I set up, deflate it when I break down (manually draw the air out).

It leaked last year so I bought a Klymit light. Looking forward to try it this year, because it's smaller than the thermarest, way lighter, and more comfortable.

The man who taught me to camp had OCD as far as campsites, and I have forever followed Bob's rules.
  1. Clean the site
  2. For your tent area, find the smoothest, most level surface you can. No roots or rocks sticking up.
  3. Clear the tent area of everything so there's nothing bigger than dirt or sand. I put on gloves, get down and smooth it out like I'm troweling concrete.
  4. Set up your tent. The fly is crucial. Vapor barrier INSIDE the tent.
I can say, I'm always dry when I sleep, and as long as I'm not cold, sleep well.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top